Page:
Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
For thos who don't know, Banksy is a graffer. But his graffiti is now considered artwork (and rightly so) and books of his work have been on sale at the tate modern for a while now (well worth buying).

But this is his most interesting and provocative project yet: https://www.banksy.co.uk/news/index.html

Thoughts and comments?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I think he's amazing! I saw him on the news the other day and I was very impressed.

Now I've looked at his site I love him even more. I think he should be respected and valued as much as any other artist.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
At glastonbury when he released the portaloos attached to helium balloons we were right next to him! One of the greatest artists of our day and age and deserving of the highest praise.

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
wow, i've never seen an artist like this before. its like a new break through in the world of art. its interesting and it says things, things with meaning.
i think i have another person to add to my list of favourite artists. smile

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I really love his work. I really liked the hamster thing. And didn't he do something with all the sockets or light switches in a gallery once? I can't remeber what it was now.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
he is fantastic

the only thing i liked about living in Bristol was seeing his work all over the place.
His latest stuff is amazing!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
aye.. Banksy is the man smile

Im seriously thinking of writing a letter to the taggers round my local area, syaing they should all check out banksy.co.uk and be inspired, instead of wanting to "write" their names on bus shelters, litter bins and garages.

I have only managed to find one piece Banksy has done on my own which is down on Brick Lane, I fancy gently poking someone until they agree to take me on a trip round Londonon *flutters eyelids*

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Jon - if you like, we can do you a quick banksy tour round Bristol.

There was a nice banksy piece in london near great portland street and oxford street. I was amazed when i saw it for the first time on my way back from work when i was working in london.

I still can't believe he's so well known, my ex was mates with him.

Gayle.....!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
smile
TY.

10,530 posts

Posted:
frown

I haven't seen a piece of his in person, but I do love his work.

Its on my list of things to do biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
out of interest is it banksy that went and graffitis the wall on the gaza strip?

back

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

ubblove

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'm a fan of decent, well designed and thought out 'grafitti' and Banksy id definitly one of the best 'street artists' about: great work and he can be extremely witty and cynical. I saw this on the news and thought it was a great way of keeping an issue in the news. I wonder what the Israeli coverage was like?

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
THE GUY IS A BLOODY GENIUS! i've been a fan of his for a while and would love to own a piece of his work ... but for now i love wondering round london and coming across it biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dom

I'm a fan of decent, well designed and thought out 'grafitti'

Indeed. I seriously dislike those that just key there name onto a train window, or scrawl some profanity across a wall with paint. It just seems senseless shrug

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
j'adore bansky...he is a very very special man.
the whole wall project was inspired. a big day out!
yeah.
i like him. a lot.

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
ditto

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

10,530 posts

Posted:
Yay!

I saw a Banksy on sunday! biggrin

Twas near tower Bridge.

Twas a nice simple one.

Was just "Buried Treasure" with an arrow pointing down.

smile

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
Yeh, graff is awsome. It makes you think cause its not the normal sh!t we get in the media everyday, its different and thought provoking. People should definately not dismiss it as just young hooligans causing trouble, many of it is a reflection of what is happening in contemporary society....
Umm, so yeh i like his work smile

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Now we just have to wait till the scrawlers of profanity hold the can the wrong way and blind themselves...they are surely stupid enough for it to occur on a regular basis. Unfortunatly they seem to breed faster than natural selection takes them out of circulation.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
'Young people, with nothing to say, speaking their minds...'

Banksy, however, appears to be in a league of his own.

And check out this story ...

~peace is a fire~

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
we certainly do love banksy!

truly inspired images that put a lot of british art to shame in my opinion!

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
to be honest, i think one of the best things he ever did was stick a rock to the wall in the history museum in london with a man pushing a shopping trolley, and entitled underneath "cave man goes to market" tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

10,530 posts

Posted:
biggrin

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
He's very wonderful. I'm yet to come across a bit of his stuff that I don't like, and I'm taking his advice from the Help section to heart with my own sprayings, when I remember it.
I don't know how soon it was reported by thwe mainstream media in the UK, but I saw the cave man goes to market stone on Banksy's website months before it was in The Australian.
Any of you ever seen his Traffic Cone Dunce sculptures?
He didn't hurt the farmyard creatures in his living exhibition, did he?

You think you've got it bad Jon? I'm not sure Banksy's even heard of Tasmania.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
i'm so glad i stumbled across this thread. i have a piece of paper in my car that, when i hear something interesting on the radio, i write it down so that i can look into it later on. i had the word 'banksy' there for a few months and couldn't for the life of me remember what it was in relation to.

he has some awesome work. very much in awe of him smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i love all teh gaffer work, and some of the off shooting into more urban art that i love, a crossing of comic and graffiti

mmmmmmmm

Step (el-nombrie)

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seb

Any of you ever seen his Traffic Cone Dunce sculptures?
He didn't hurt the farmyard creatures in his living exhibition, did he?

Yup. Twas a model of the Thinker Statue with a traffic cone on its head. Brilliant.

The animals weren't hurt, but they became hot and distressed so they closed the exhibition down. Then an animal right fanatic blew it out of proportion and chained herslef to a fence.... shrug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Then an animal right fanatic blew it out of proportion and chained herslef to a fence.... shrug

i love banksy as much as the next man - i even have a photo collection of his work that i've walked past.

but i don't think this woman was a 'fanatic' and i don't think she blew it out of proportion.

its a shame that this was the way she chose to protest but she had a fairly good point which was that after this exhibition, which was quite widely publicised, there was a good chance of copycat acts.

her main issue was that the people who might go out and copy banksy's work would be unlikely to be as responsible as he was and use non-toxic paint and spraying car paint onto the bodies of farmyard animals wouldn't be too good for them.

as far as i know, no-one ever did copy this idea - but did the protest bring this about or was it never going to happen in the first place?

i guess we'll never know... smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

10,530 posts

Posted:
Thinking abut it, you're right Cole.

Sorry, got a bit Fanboyish there wink

Page: