Page:
Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Entirely off-topic, but does anyone know anyone who might be prepared to install some hair extensions for me? I want to buy some of these - https://www.fragglelox.com/
- as double-ended dreads as funky traveling hair for when I finally quit my job in February. My friends, while the most delightful people in the world and all of whom I love deeply, have already proved themselves less than competent when it comes to attching dreads to my hair and I want these to last a few months so I don't have them dropping out halfway round Thailand. Would anyone care to help? I will pay in money, beer, construction of PVC clothing (hey, it's all I'm good at) or whatever you like...

to live at all is miracle enough

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
How can you be off topic in a thread you started yourself? confused

I'm not sure any tied in hair extention/dreads will last all that long. How long did you want them for?

Star is probably the lady to ask.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
You can keep dreadlock extensions in for a maximum of 3 months. It's easy to make the dreads out of Kanekalon, myself and Polythene spent a weekend earlier this summer making some for me. This is the photo page from our dreadlock adventure!

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

150 posts

Posted:
I kept my last roving wool extensions in for about 2 months... I doubt I'll be away for more than 3 months due to the pressing financial situation I am permanantly in!

Skully - I meant off-topic for poi but I guess it doesn't matter in social...

Sir Sheep - love your photo page! I have something similar for my natural dreads but not nearly so extensive! Ans also - ubblove your avatar - I was obsessed with that song for months!

x

Mewcat

only in kenya...

EDITED_BY: Miranda (mewcat) (1126295435)

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
OMG what amazing hair extensions!!! biggrin

*starts saving pennies*

I only leave my extensions in for a week or two, this is because having really straight hair means that they slip out in a relatively short time. its also because i like being clean and i can't wash my hair with them in,

I'm not sure if that kind of extensions would be good for travelling, not sure how well they would cope with being in for a long time. Also, i don't think you would be able to wash your hair with them, which might be icky when you are travelling about hot humid places.

Edit: just looking at their site again. They are 100% wool which would make washing them insanely difficult!

I might order a sample to see what they are like.

ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1126356897)

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I washed mine once a week, with diluted Orginal Source mint shampoo. Just be careful to rinse throughly - any left over residue will cause much itching. Don't condition as it's an emollient and will make it slip out faster. Washing will make your hair very heavy, but I had no problems letting it air dry as the fake dreads seemed to dry much faster than my hair would normally.

Once a week I also had my able assistant (flid) tighten the dreads by fixing rubber bands closer to the scalp (making the lenght slighly shorter, but keeping the whole thing looking tidier).

You can also make fringes (which I didn't do last time, but may well the next) as it will start looking straggly at the front (as mine did).

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
i managed to buy thin but pretty pixie fall extensions it was like 30 for 5 pounds smile

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
ooh i forgot to say

I would happily help you put in extensions if you can cover my petrol costs to get to you!?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Sir Sheep wants some put in again, if you guys wanted to bulk buy hair between you I'd be happy to come and help too smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

150 posts

Posted:
Thanks, everyone! Star, PM on its way!

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I own about 6 pairs of hair extensions all made from different materials by me (aside from one set)I could make you some *falls* but they dont tie into your hair (they have to be tied onto a ponytail/bun)

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

150 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Sakura_Virus! I also make falls but feel that extensions are the way forward if I'm going to be travelling - I'm desperate to get my cool hair back for at least a few months while I'm out of the office.... I used to have brilliant natural dreads with random plastic but since becoming a corporate hobag it's all had to come out frown

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
This is the Miranda I met at Fal4 and saw again at Play, right? I cant imagine you having dreads at all ubbloco

wink

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

150 posts

Posted:
They were awesomely cute. I was most sad to lose them. Stupid law.

And why not?!

Is that Pete? I'm rubbish at HOP names...

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah i cant imagine you with dreads either... can u post up a pic please? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Flame Boy is indeed Pete
and yeay we want to see a photo!

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
I think you can get dreads with extentions in Thailand. Check out the Khaosan area. Might be cheaper too... Had my braids done there. Bring a good book to read. wink

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Oh my, now I want fraggle hair. Think I might have to get myself a set of them falls biggrin I'm not sure they'd suit me though frown

"Take that, math!"

150 posts

Posted:
They would look lovely on you, Puresock!

I will post a pic of my adorable departed dreads as soon as I'm near a computer with one on. As a temporay measure, here was some short-term hair... https://p080.ezboard.com/fhair18356frm8.showMessage?topicID=4077.topic

Thanks, Katch! Might go to AngelEmma or Ceri anyway as so many people have such great stuff done there but I'll bear it in mind...

ripinitMember
4 posts

Posted:
hey i had dreads once

ripinitMember
4 posts

Posted:
rite bak sum1

ripinitMember
4 posts

Posted:
i dont understand this thread business
redface redface redface

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
A thread on this message board works like notes on the fridge, rather than 'live chat'... you only leave replies to your housemates' notes when you're home and happen to visit the fridge smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Miranda... i think im now seeing you in a whole new way... where did you get the material from to make the outfit? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

150 posts

Posted:
Vixen - just a fabric shop - PVC's quite easy to sew, especially if you can get some with a little bit of "give" to help with fitting! I tend to use velcro (no, not because it's easier to strip (although that is an advantage...) rather than zips as it makes them easier to adjust on fat v thin days! Most impressively for me, that was all hand-sewing as the sewing machine had packed in. The back is excellent - I wish I'd taken a picture - I did it as a corset back with red ribbon lacing which looked great against the white.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
What do you do about the edges... is it hard to hem it? xxx

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
It is probably a bad (or maybe good idea spank ) letting an online community know that your outfits are only attached with velcro . :;

Do you know what you could do to the male population of this site . . . tut tut tut

150 posts

Posted:
Vixen - it's not too hard to hem or it actually gives a good crisp look if it's just cut very straight - I've found it tends to curve better with the body if it's not hemmed for some reason, although that could just be my hemming!

Matt - are you implying that a velcro-attached nurse's uniform is in some way more alluring than my usual blanket-shorts-bikini-hangover ensemble? Surely not! confused2

150 posts

Posted:
Right! Am going either here - https://www.snarlhair.com/main.html
or here - https://www.angelemma.com/extensions.htm
for funky dreads come travel time! Yay travel! Too excited.

150 posts

Posted:
Update - next month, just before my travels, I'm getting pink and orange dreads from Ceri at Snarl Hair in London, about whom I have heard some lovely things. Most excited!

RoseyEmmnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Does anyone here know where to buy or get KANEKALON in NZ?
I make hair falls and dread wigs and its so hard to do when you dont have any synthetic hair to work with:(
I dont have paypal or a credit card so i cant buy from overseas:(
If any one could help out it would be greatly appareciated

Page: