jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
I remember seeing someone with some really cool monkey's fist ends for his staff on the forums, and after a bit of searching around, i saw something else about turk's head knots.

Anyway, my questions:
has anyone used them on a staff yet? and how did you secure it to the staff? and most importantly, is it better than just rolling the wicks?

I thinking of maybe changing my wicks to that (after the next time i fly with my staff... since i'd probably have to change my wicks to be able to fly).

Thanks!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Most people monkey's fist knots are not of the turks head variety...

So, how would you like to put this onto the staff? In a ball on the end? or more of a sheath tube going around? There are many ways it could be done, I've ties turks head poi before but never got into staff much...

You might want to look at some other forms of whipping, (wrapping) that are commonly used for grips and handles.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Well, i don't think a monkey's fist lends itself very well to being tied to the end of a staff (withouth some kind of bolt or mount or something for it to attach to).

I'm looking for not just big, but long. Kinda like a sheath. Main reason I'm thinking about it is i guess cause of the benifits that i've heard about using a monkey's fist knot, so i thought maybe a turk's head might benifit the staff (apart from making it look different).

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
check here, https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1
pyro monkey's design using various ends including monkey fists
May I suggest to PM pyro monkey to find out more smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
'aye, I think you misunderstood me there.

You can tie a turks head, and collapse it onto itself to form a ball, similar to a monkeys fist. coming out with something like this

Non-Https Image Link

I've always found these preferable to a 'monkeys fist' knot that most people tie, plus they can easily be tied around something like a staff.

Like I said before though, you might want to look at other whipping methods. Here would be an example of a walking stick

https://www.backpacking.net/makegear/hiking-staff/stick0.jpg

Turks Head knot as I described on the top, a french whipping just below which is essentially repeating half hitches, very easy and quick to do. And then a Portuguese Sennit.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals