Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Making "Events and Gatherings" threads more effective.

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm not whining or ranting... I'm just WONDERING...

Is there a way we can make Events and Gatherings threads more effective?

For example, Molly and I recently decided to go to "Play" (we weren't thinking about going until recently) and now the PLAY thread has more than 800 posts on it which I'm hardly going to sift through now. I also remember Bluecat's frustation with trying to keep Uberpoi planning under control.

I certainly think people should be able to post their excitement, plan what toys to bring, how they're getting there, who else is going, who they're sleeping with eek , etc... BUT I'm wondering if we couldn't make it more efficient.

Perhaps having a corresponding "Chat" thread would help? So people can flirt, and giggle, and jump up and down in one place, and ask serious questions to the organizers on the E+G thread.

I'm certainly not meaning to start trouble and if the general consensus is "It's fine the way it is" then I'm all for it.

Just a suggestion. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
yeah i agree with you maybe the organisers can have there own thread so any updates can be made there and you dont have to run about finding it... i don't really bother with the threads because i can never find out enough info about the event so i just contact the organiser which is what i have done for uberpoi and commonground

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Maybe for people to do two threads on an event, would be good...

Have a 'Planning' thread, and a 'Chat about this event' thread...

I think that ended up being done with the Falmouth 3 thread, because of all the people's excitement and the wishing to share it (not that I'm complaining, I do it too smile ).

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
if the organisor puts all the details in the first post or two and keeps updating it it saves ppl having to wade through all the chat, thats what we did with the common ground thread. i think it would be cool if there was a seperate page for each event that the organisors could update

better still some sort of frame set up with the top from having the event details and the bottom frame having the usual post setup with all the chat type posts. im sure it wouldnt be a huge code change ......

brett check out the timetable of workshops on the first page of the common ground thread its got very full biggrin

maybe this should get moved to discussion?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
maybe all big meets should be sent to an admin who posts it in a locked topic, and then any major updates can be sent to the admin who updates the post... just an idea....

"if it wasnt for the last minute nothing would get done"
"inspiration comes from every experience of life"
"a life rich in soul is never tuneless"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I completely understand - I only occassionally skim threads like Play and Uberpoi because they become too much. I like the excited chat before an event, but also want to know anything important. But importance is relative.

It is really important that first posters update thier first post regularly.

And maybe Malcolm or somebody else will come up with a solution.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I tried the 2 thread approach on Fal 3. I set up a chat forum thread to stop people chatting in the events section. It didn't work they just chatted in both making it even harder to keep up. Then ... I think it was Durbs, made another thread in events and tried to keep it to the point but it ended up with some people posting in one and others in the other one. It made it even more confusing.

The Wikis site idea did seem to work for Fal4 as it held all the important details and allowed people to chat in the HoP thread. If, when you made a new events thread, you could set up a page like the wikis one that had a prominent link button in the title of the thread it would always be accessable and easy to find at the top of each page. The only problem I see with it is if someone went on to the info page and messed everything up. I know Polarity kept up to date copies of the wiki pages as a back up if that happened.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Just to note that PLAY does have it's own web site with a forum as well - so anything you need to find out will be on the PLAY site. Maybe if more events had a site (Like a Falmouth site + forum) it would cut down on a load of messages.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Given that the titles of events are now so well structured with time, place etc being required- could it not be arranged that there is also a link to info as part of the required information?

This would appear in the title as a hyperlink which, when clicked, would take you to either the relevant page of any website set up for the event, or, to the first post of the thread where the organiser would keep updating info (whilst this may seem unecessary to those who are regulars here, it would be useful for newbies who aren't necessarily aware that the first post is kept updated).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
personally i think the idea of having another 'chat' thread which is what skully did for falmouth 3 in theory is a very good idea, however unfortunately as what proved with that thread, people dont always stick to it and end up polluting both threads

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

Just to note that PLAY does have it's own web site with a forum as well - so anything you need to find out will be on the PLAY site. Maybe if more events had a site (Like a Falmouth site + forum) it would cut down on a load of messages.

But the PLAY thread has over 900 posts on HoP. And it's own website. And it's own forum.

I guess I'm just hoping that there's nothing important in those 900+ posts that I'd have wished I'd read. I certainly read the first post and skimmed the website.

As for the Uberpoi thread, there WAS important stuff burried on page 11, 45, 345 that made it frustrating for organizers and attendees to find.

I guess if I was to organize something that was clearly going to get a bit of chatter about it, I might take the initiatve and start a 'chat' thread also. Or direct chatters to that thread. Aside from an initial post from the organizers, a 900 post thread is useless to anyone actually looking for information or asking questions.

Again, I don't actually care as I feel comfortable enough seeking out the answers to questions I have, I'm just throwing out possible, positive solutions.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
maybe as more hop events start to emergy hop mailing lists moderated by the organisers could be generated and terminated at the end of the event whereby anyone posting on the thread is added to the mailing list.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
We should also discuss Threads in the videos section that don't actually contain videos...

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: OWD

Given that the titles of events are now so well structured with time, place etc being required- could it not be arranged that there is also a link to info as part of the required information?

This would appear in the title as a hyperlink which, when clicked, would take you to either the relevant page of any website set up for the event, or, to the first post of the thread where the organiser would keep updating info (whilst this may seem unecessary to those who are regulars here, it would be useful for newbies who aren't necessarily aware that the first post is kept updated).

wow I think this is a brilliant idea. Good thinking Dave clap

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I kind of think it works as it is if the first post is kept up to date. cos Dave's idea is a good one but again would require the organiser to keep on top of the linked page. which is fine for the likes of play but take the Manchester meets they are set up on a as and when basis and the person who composed the first post (or in Dave's idea the link page) cant always go or is not around to edit the post.

may be it you gave two or 3 key people the ability to edit the first post instead of just the one who posted it. it could then be kept up to date more easily and important stuff not missed of.

in the Manchester meets I ended up just doing a general info first post telling people about the various places we spin and telling them to skip the 1000 od posts and just read the last few and post any questions they have on it. it seems to work ok!!!!

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
A wiki could solve a lot of problems. If there was server space and bandwidth one wiki could handle all the events, and have a calendar for the main page that links to seperate pages for each event. As anyone can edit the wiki it doesn't need one person to keep track of things and make all the changes.

It doesn't matter if someone comes along and screws up the pages, as a history of every change that's made is kept, so that things can always be put back the way they were (and a link to the history can be permanently on the page, so if it looks screwed up anyone can fix it).

The only problem with the Falmouth wiki was that the attendance list started in the forum, so it took a while for people to get the idea that the list had moved.

As it caught on I didn't have to do so much work, as a lot of people added themselves to the wiki, and updated the lifts and workshops pages.

I'd happily manage the Falmouth wiki again, although I think I'd move it to my own server, so I can use a better wiki program (wikispaces has an editor that makes a mess, and there aren't a lot of features).

I'll play around with the mediawiki program to try and add some forms, so people can add or remove themselves from attendees lists without editing wiki pages.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
***BUMP***

As the weather is warming up some of the Events and Gathering threads are already becoming unmanageable.

Threads like Play and EJC and Burningman are going to explode into pages of giggles and inside jokes.

Would it be appropriate to have something like an "EJC chat" thread in Chat? Or maybe even an "EJC ONTOPIC ONLY" thread in Events and Gatherings.

There is no way a 1000 post thread is useful to anyone. It's FUN, but it's totally not useful as information on the "Event and Gathering."

90% of the EPG threads are fine but it's the uberthreads that become unwieldily.

I'd personally like to be able to post both "OMG, I'M SO EXCITED AND UCOF SMELLS!" posts as well as being able to post "I'm planning on driving, what will the parking situation be?"... just not on the same thread.

Again, if that's the way it has to be, then that's the way it has to be... but I get the feeling that that's not the way it has to be.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
spank
its not my fault... its my glands.

tongue

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey, keep you glands in your pants.

Oh, you mean the smell? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Maybe all the details go in the calender somehow. Pm your questions to organisers who will post the answers in the first few posts of the thread like Ben and Josh did for Common Groiund. Most of us are gulity of hijacking threads, its part of the fun. wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

***BUMP***

Would it be appropriate to have something like an "EJC chat" thread in Chat? Or maybe even an "EJC ONTOPIC ONLY" thread in Events and Gatherings.

We tried that before with the Falmouth thread. We had a Chat thread created once the events one got full of chat and an other events section "on topic only" thread. The chat one ended up disapearing off the bottom of the page and the 2nd events one only got half the up dates whilst the original off topic events thread got the other half and despite trying to keep both of the ones that were in the events section up to date with each other it just degenerated into a mixed up mess. That's why the Wiki page got started.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!