Forums > Social Chat > Why am I posting instead of studying- especially about something so inane?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, this is running around in my head. So I'm going to be silly- and post:

What your dream requirements are for a husband:

I say dream, cause i figure you should be willing to compromise a little in the real world

mine:
1. Can cook (doesn't need to be fancy, but fancy preferred- japanese skills a plus).
2. Can sew. At least well enough for patches. Ability to make clothes and flags a plus.
3. Doesn't want cats.
4. Wants at least one dog.
5. Is open to discussion about children.
6. Will either enjoy or appreciate from a that's nice point of view horses.
7. Can understand 70% of my "english"
8. Wants to travel
9. Likes nature
10. Likes thinking, and does it occasionally.
11. Is a kind, warm, loving, and concerned person.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

flowingchaliceBRONZE Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hee hee hee... this is one I get caught up in too much, lol... not that I'm ever getting married of course...

1. likes long weekend snuggle sessions in bed
2. cleans occasionally
3. has many beautiful quirks, quirky features are a bonus!
4. Understands perfectly lunar moodiness, but doesn't always let me get away with it!
5. Is inspirational, intelligent, loving, thoughtful, energetic , ... is that too many in one go??? Does that still count?
6. outgoing and introverted...
7. scorpio... if I can handle the depth (haven't decided yet)
8. freckles... yummy
9. loves massage
10. is open and grounded

Not too much to ask for is it?

Who looks outside dreams; who looks inside wakes C G Jung

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Okay, for me its a life partner list:

1. Has a twisted sense of humour
2. Will stand by me when things go to s**t
3. Enjoys spending Sunday mornings lying in bed
4. Has a life of his own & is happy for me to have a life of my own too.
5. Can paint the fingernails on my right hand (cos I can't)
6. Can cook, enjoys good food
7. Has a nice laugh
8. Understands that cos I do life drawing classes he may wake up one morning to find the covers off & me sitting beside him with a sketch pad...
9. Gives good hugs
10. loves me as much as I love him (vitally important point)

I could go on, but I won't

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
pshawwww !!!!!

he's the one who you fall in love with so you naturally throw away ridiculous laundry lists

OR DON'T BE HIS MATE, YOU DESERVE MORE

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Two questions...

If these lists are truly heartfelt, do you use them as a guideline by which you judge the one you're with?

How can someone fit perfectly into these lists, and still manage to remain single?

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
the perfect dude fer me would have to be

1) Loves me no matter what
2) Cleans, cooks, blah blah blah. (almost like a house wife- but he'd be a house-hubby)
3) Will discuss and talk about anything with me
4) Jokes around and knows how to make me laugh
5) Loves poi like me (the only thing in the whole list my b/f isnt. but finding the perfect guy would take ages! but he does support me- so its a added bonus)

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Just as an answer, there is no need to feel judged.

I don't walk around with a shopping list for the person I am with. But there are some key things there that I must have. These are points 2, 4 & 10.

The rest are optional extras that come from me knowing what sort of stuff I like doing, however I have an open enough mind that I can try new things, and that I won't be disappointed I don't have these things. If I love the person, it probably won't even cross my mind.

I just need those essential points:

2. Will stand by me when things go to s**t
4. Has a life of his own & is happy for me to have one also
10. loves me as much as I love him (vitally important point)

Because I have been in relationships where these things are absent. & they hurt. Please don't knock me for seeking these things out. I don't have a preset form in which these things should be delivered (ie. we must get engaged, then married & have 2.5 children & a dog called Spot). But they are very important points to me.

Its probably point 10 that most relationships founder on. Cos as yet, I haven't been able to match the two sides of that point.

[ 20 October 2002, 14:47: Message edited by: Rozi ]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Rozi! 2, 4, 10 are really good.

Then go head over heels, & whaddaya do if one of these is missing? or that's just not full-maybe-the-one-mate?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Interestingly, all of mine are negotiable.
They are just things that would be cool.
I don't have a bf, havn't for a long time. Because.... well, certain people ... i dunno. I have a solid intrest right now, but it's gonna be tough to pull off. especially because i am looking to him for a lot of things, .... i dunno. can't explain. wish me luck.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
1. both of us have to be completely unashamedly absolutely eternally and unconditionally in love

2. he has to be accepting

if you stick to those, especially the first, nothing can go wrong

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
PS: i should be studying too...

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Without listing the things I am after, I would have to say that an essential requirement for my ideal husband would be that they are female.

Aside from that they need to be intelligent and fun. Love is essential, and it needs to go both ways.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, get back to work! stop procrastinating! you have more important things to do than worry about than finding an idealized bf...it'll happen when it happens, don't get caught before you've made your movie...it's all about your movie.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yay nyx

yeah, i need to study today. big time. but there's also a bunch of shit i have to go to.... i love college, but it'll be nice to have a break in december!

and mebbe get all these silly guys sorted out!

lol @ me.

p.s.- home cooked food rocks tho!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Good luck with the solid interest, Kyrian!! Keep us posted on developements!

And why am i reading this thread when i too, should be studying?!?!?!

I do have a boyf, he meets Rozi's 3 most important requirements (2,4 & 10 - very good points!!!) and one added by moi: he makes me laugh. Yay. Happy happy happy
(i have yet to get him to pick up a pair of poi though. damn! But hey, nobody's perfect )

everyone's unique except me

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
Well, this is running around in my head. So I'm going to be silly- and post:

What your dream requirements are for a husband:

I say dream, cause i figure you should be willing to compromise a little in the real world

mine:
1. Can cook (doesn't need to be fancy, but fancy preferred- japanese skills a plus).
2. Can sew. At least well enough for patches. Ability to make clothes and flags a plus.
3. Doesn't want cats.
4. Wants at least one dog.
5. Is open to discussion about children.
6. Will either enjoy or appreciate from a that's nice point of view horses.
7. Can understand 70% of my "english"
8. Wants to travel
9. Likes nature
10. Likes thinking, and does it occasionally.
11. Is a kind, warm, loving, and concerned person.

Oh, well you want me, then!

I cook well, no Japanese experience, but I have yet to come across a recipe or cooking technique in general that I can't quickly master (I will get around to sushi at some point).

I can sew acceptably, although it's not pretty.

I'd love to have kids...but it will have to wait until I'm through at least the brunt of residency. I want to be able to participate in the whole process.

I'm allergic to cats, but love dogs (except I need a poodle since that's the only breed I'm not allergic to).

I'm completely indifferent towards horses, but I think they're beautiful animals.

I can understand just about anyone's "english." If I can have an intelligent conversation with a Jamaican or a South African, I think I'm set.

Travel? I've stood on all seven continents!

I love nature. I love to think, but never get any opportunities to do so. And you'll have to wait to meet me on point 11.

BUUUTTTT

There are conditions and exclusions, disclaimers, and contraindications.

1) You need to understand the hazards of marrying a doctor. Yes, I'll make decent money. I'll be a professor, though, so I won't be filthy rich, either. I hope that you will have your own career and be as passionate about it as I am about mine. That said, there are demands. My pager will go off at bad times. In the middle of our anniversary dinner. In the middle of sex. At 4AM. In the middle of our kid's little-league game. In the middle of an important discussion/argument. It means someone is possibly sick and/or dying and needs my attention RIGHT NOW. It means I have to drop everything, make a phone call, and possibly go to the hospital. It's just one of the sacrifices we make.

2) In other words, you need to be an independent person who doesn't need me, but rather, wants to be with me. I don't believe in "owning" or "leasing" my significant other, I believe that the two halves of the couple should not pull each-other together, but rather push themselves towards the other. And respect each-other for who we are, rather than trying to change it.

3) I hate doing dishes and folding laundry. I'll cook, shop, vacuum, wash windows, and even scrub toilets and showers, but you have to fold the laundry and do the dishes. We can take turns on mowing the lawn, but you do any gardening, I have a brown thumb (i.e. I kill any plant material I touch). Oh, and you take care of clothing the kids.

4) Potted plants in the house is fine. Stinky flowers is not OK.

5) I want to expose the kids to Judaism. It's a beautiful religion. I want them at least to have a bar or bat mitzvah. They can completely renounce it all after that (as I did), but just as I want to pass on my genes, I want to pass on my culture. I'd be so sad if my kids never tasted a latke or danced the hora.

6) No, I will not be our kids' doctor.

7) I need to live somewhat near an ocean. Living in Michigan is driving me batty.

8) I need someone organized. I'm a disaster. I'm clean, very neat, and I accomplish what I need to, but I function in disaster and finish in style. You'll need to be organized or we'll self-destruct..

9) You have to have some mechanical aptitude. I'm totally not handy. Among the many reasons I'm going into medicine is so that I'll have at least one useful skill.

10) I'm somewhere around 19 years old. Doesn't matter what my drivers license says. Accept the fact that I'm stuck at that age.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Hmm, interesting thread, I'd never though about anything like this before.
Never actually having had a significant other doesn't help really (I've had others, just none of them ended up significant )

Right now, my main criteria are:
- someone who makes me laugh.
- has a pretty similar outlook on life as me.

Someone who functions on the same wavelength as me, or at least compliments it would be pretty essential too - or they'd never understand why I do the things I do.
As an example of the kind of stuff I end up doing - in a few weeks, I'm going to take my sleeping bag and sleep on a vegetation covered roundabout in the centre of town for a night, just because I think it's possible. If someone can't understand that I'm not going to stop doing stuff like this, I'm probably not going to want to spend the rest of my life with them.

Thinking about it, the most important quality for someone to have is that they're prepared to take me as I am, and not try to change me - that's very unlikely to happen and I'm not prepared to try and be someone I'm not.

As well as that, there's a mix of Kyrian's, flowingchalice's and Rozi's points that I'd find pretty essential - mainly those about being a warm and loving person.

It might take me a while, but I belive that I will find someone who fits me well enough to spend the rest of my life with, I'll find her eventually.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
My thoughts about mike's points:

quote:
I'm allergic to cats, but love dogs (except I need a poodle since that's the only breed I'm not allergic to).

what if it lived outside, in a barn? 'cause i love border collies.

quote:
1) You need to understand the hazards of marrying a doctor. Yes, I'll make decent money. I'll be a professor, though, so I won't be filthy rich, either. I hope that you will have your own career and be as passionate about it as I am about mine. That said, there are demands. My pager will go off at bad times. In the middle of our anniversary dinner. In the middle of sex. At 4AM. In the middle of our kid's little-league game. In the middle of an important discussion/argument. It means someone is possibly sick and/or dying and needs my attention RIGHT NOW. It means I have to drop everything, make a phone call, and possibly go to the hospital. It's just one of the sacrifices we make.
but on the other hand, i can be left at home whilst you go in to the clinic at 4am. See, my mother was in vet school when i was young. So not onnly did we have to drop everything and leave all sorts of places, but i had to go with her. translation: i'm used to it. I don't care. if your a good doctor, i will love you for it.

quote:

2) In other words, you need to be an independent person who doesn't need me, but rather, wants to be with me. I don't believe in "owning" or "leasing" my significant other, I believe that the two halves of the couple should not pull each-other together, but rather push themselves towards the other. And respect each-other for who we are, rather than trying to change it.
I'm in love with the first line. I absolutly belive in it. Of course, you have one of teh more time consuming professions. And if i wind up working with horses professionally, so will i. But if you can deal with that, and deal with the fact that if i am good enough i will be leaving the country for months at a time, then all is good. but that's my major disclaimer.

quote:

3) I hate doing dishes and folding laundry. I'll cook, shop, vacuum, wash windows, and even scrub toilets and showers, but you have to fold the laundry and do the dishes. We can take turns on mowing the lawn, but you do any gardening, I have a brown thumb (i.e. I kill any plant material I touch). Oh, and you take care of clothing the kids.
I have no problem with folding the laundry. or ironing. but don't expect nice shirts to be folded. they live on hangers. and ironing is done at times other than 7am. howver- we are buying a dishwasher. I will rinse dishes and put them in a dishwasher. i will run said dishwasher. but i will not wash dished by hand. ever.
quote:

4) Potted plants in the house is fine. Stinky flowers is not OK.

i hate flowering plants. so are we even? i wnat some ferns.
quote:

5) I want to expose the kids to Judaism. It's a beautiful religion. I want them at least to have a bar or bat mitzvah. They can completely renounce it all after that (as I did), but just as I want to pass on my genes, I want to pass on my culture. I'd be so sad if my kids never tasted a latke or danced the hora.

quite frankly, i love the religion and go to friends seder's and anything else i can to get latke's and potato kugel and horeradish. but they are fun too. go for it. as long as we can explain other religions to them in nice ways.
quote:

6) No, I will not be our kids' doctor.

ok.
quote:

7) I need to live somewhat near an ocean. Living in Michigan is driving me batty.

are you kidding? i grew up there too. ocean it is man, and trees, and no gddamn clouds!
quote:

8) I need someone organized. I'm a disaster. I'm clean, very neat, and I accomplish what I need to, but I function in disaster and finish in style. You'll need to be organized or we'll self-destruct.
organization is easy for me. but you need to motivate me to put things away, cause neat is much harder. i can find anything except where i hid the money and the computer disks, i know when everything is and when everything needs to be turned in. but i never seem to put my clothes and books away.
quote:

9) You have to have some mechanical aptitude. I'm totally not handy. Among the many reasons I'm going into medicine is so that I'll have at least one useful skill.
I have a few building/fixing skills, can do simple electrical and sound work, and have a high degree of aptitude in tech theatre work, at least half of which is somewhat useful. but that doesn't mean i can fix the faucet.

quote:

10) I'm somewhere around 19 years old. Doesn't matter what my drivers license says. Accept the fact that I'm stuck at that age.

ok. better than 5, which is teh average age for men.... or does he mean 19 going on 5.........*wonders*

quote:
posted by CU: As an example of the kind of stuff I end up doing - in a few weeks, I'm going to take my sleeping bag and sleep on a vegetation covered roundabout in the centre of town for a night, just because I think it's possible. If someone can't understand that I'm not going to stop doing stuff like this, I'm probably not going to want to spend the rest of my life with them.

right on.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
If Kyrian's claimed I'll claim Rozi

List, conditions, obligations? We negotiating a business agreement here?

Just be. Like soundwaves we are, and through our lives we interact with other soundwaves in harmony and discord. Be most with the one who lets you be the loudest, most beautiful soundwave you are.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol dom. too true.

but right now being includes studying......*sigh*

*daydreams*

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
my list is pretty short:

1: honesty
2: respect
3: humour
4: lives in the same country....

pretty easy really!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Kyrian,

I think you have a standing marriage proposal here!

[ 22 October 2002, 04:37: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey Dom, prepared to negotiate. Put forward your list & let me know if there is anything on mine that ain't you

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Hey there Kyrian

Not seen you about for a while sweetie Glad you've come to be distracted once more.

my ideals:

1)Nicked from Adrel@line because her words are perfect:

quote:
Both of us have to be completely unashamedly absolutely eternally and unconditionally in love

2) We must be able to communicate and understand each other entirely - and prepared to work hard if sometime's it's tricky seeing it through each others eyes.

3)He, ideally, is creative AND intelligent

4)He must respect himself and other people as I do.

And.........I already found someone who fits all of this and more

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
My ideal man would be someone who fits most of the following:

1. Will be able to make me laugh
2. Will not make me feel silly when I cry,
3. When I'm sick - he'd tuck me up in bed and make me a hot water bottle and would sit with me and make me smile
4. Someone who'd let me live my own life, and have their own life to lead too!
5. Someone who is honest with me

I've borrowed this final one from Rozi

6. Someone who'll love me like I love them

All I need to do now is find him!! Am I asking for too much?

[ 21 October 2002, 23:38: Message edited by: Hels Bells ]

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, forget about the solid interest. You have to marry Mike!

Charlotte

everyone's unique except me

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Rosalind. Have I told you lately how much I love you?

Cos i do y'know. With all my heart, soul and the entirity of my being.

Meh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Well Rozi, I don't have a list, you've just gotta be the right soundwave.

Let me run through your list: Yep, but how twisted we talking?. Will do. Just Sundays . Indeed!. Used to be able to paint my own right hand, may be out of practice now. Yep, kinda. Can't judge that one for you. Fair enough, but you've got to make the necessary exaggerations if they're for public viewing . Again, can't judge this one myself. And lastly, well, we'll see, depends how big your tits are

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For me the list is more of a reverse...I want to be with someone who can put up with me, and do it intelligently, humorously, comfortingly and independently.

I can cook. I can clean (don't like to but can). I can sew. I can do all sorts of things, including amuse myself. I have friends who listen, talk, make me laugh, make me cry, love me as I love them.

What they are missing is just indescribable. It is that certain something that creates a pang in your stomach when you think of the person. That thing that makes you jump for joy and run with the phone when you hear his/her voice. That feeling that let's you know everything is really going to be alright, without words, when you are in that person's arms. That thing that let's you know, even when you are both just sitting in dead silence, that nothing is wrong. That little joy that spreads when you think of eternity, and think of it with this person. I have felt something close to it a couple of times, but in the end I messed things up. *sigh* Such are the ways of this glorious life.

To be with me a man has to understand:

1. That I am not June Cleaver. That while I can cook, clean, do the windows, etc...they are not on my priority list. Living life is, and if that means choosing between a day filled with chores or a day filled with outdoor togetherness, I *will* choose the latter.

2. That I am sensative and prone to cry when there appears to be no reason. It is not your fault, usually, it is just an emotional release that I can not help. I don't need understanding, just comforting and am prone to change my mind at a whim, but not in a painful way towards you.

3. That I am passionate, and with that comes curiousity, sometimes to a fault. I will wile away hours at something I love, a performance piece, a book, something I am writing. I like to explore, and sometimes get lost doing so. I can sit and stare at the ocean for hours. But know securely that my passion will also be turned to you as well. I would want for you to have your own passions as well. If ours coincide that's great and if they don't that is great too. Just please don't pretend to want to do what I do just to be near me...I don't *need* a business partner, performance partner,etc. without a real passion for it too.

4. That I love to be outdoors, and am not a luxury based person. I like roughing it camping. I like skinny dipping. I like just being and I like doing that with someone special to share my cocoa with.

5. Sometimes I just need to be left to my own thoughts and devices, and eventually, my pride will get out of the way, but until then, let me stumble a little, as long as you can be there to help me get up should I fall. And rest assured, I will support you as well, in all your endeavors, whether I agree or not. And my told you so's are very gentle!

6. I love to travel. My performance requires I travel and I like to go for vacations as well. Sometimes I like to do so alone. It just gives me time to appreciate all the good we have together so when we meet again, the passion is brighter than ever. This also falls under the unexpected time away thing, because sometimes these shows just "pop" up and I need someone to understand that my career is one of my passions, as well as what puts food on the table.

7. My son is my world. That he doesn't need a father, or a role model, those are my jobs. He just needs someone to take the time to be his friend.

8. Alot of what I do is dangerous. I know that, you know that, it is what I do. Trust me to do it safely. I do not need a father to advise me. I do not need someone to obsess or worry or try to keep me to themselves. I have been there and done that. I just want someone to be with, be together seperately. I want someone to enjoy all of what we have together, and what we create together by bringing our own things to the table.

9. Someone who understands that being with me means that you are with someone who is far from perfect, and that I'll occassionally dwell on that. Someone who will accept me for all my idiosyncracies and flaws, and love me because of them, not in spite of them. Someone who will support my growth the same way I encourage theirs.
A life partner to share time with, not just watch it go by. Someone who can understand that to love is to be unconditional, and to understand that while I will say "I love you" every day, every hour, very often...I mean it every single time I say it, and it will never fade in my heart, only grow with time.

Hmmm...is that too much to ask? Seems like it is.
And no, Prometheus, you aren't allowed to answer!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Very well, I won't answer...

but you know exactly what I'm thinking!

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you take cocoa skinny dipping with you Pele surely it'll get all diluted and then be too waterlogged to share with any special someperson?

Meh

Page: