Page:
LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
i think it is maryland that this dude is sniping off all these people!!!
and i read that he left behind a tarot death card!!!

Your views pleze!!!

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
The American dream has led to a culture where anyone who isn't seen as attaining the proper grade is seen as lazy, inferior, worthless and disposable.
I've worked my ASS off for the last few years. Lost tons of social life that I could have had. And I DO achieve that proper grade because of it.

Now there are other kids in school that just go and smoke after school, take drugs, whatever. They don't do any work. they just "hang out"

so does your country help people that don't pull their weight? do they even everyone out as much as they can? give them equal everything? sounds familiar.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
America is the only country that pays people not to work. I doubt I will ever need welfair but I still pay for it so that others can use it. If it is lagitamate, say they got in a car accident and cant work and need some money, then I am more than glad to help out. However if they just dont want to get a job then I have no desire to pay them to sit on their fat arse.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
The fact of the matter is, it is pretty hard to tell who is really sitting on their fat arse. There are so many areas of grey. An artist, whos work may never bring any money until after they die, but who may add joy to the lives of millions, may be on welfare. Someone who has been looking for work for a year or more, unable to find a job because of industry changes and lack of qualifications, may be on welfare.

But lets take this elsewhere. Australia had some major gun law reforms after a mass shooting at a historical site called Port Arthur. It was much disputed and much discussed at the time. Does anyone have any info on the impact that those changes had?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Why do we feel it necessary to justify death? Any death. Be it a building full of people or just one guy pumping gas.

What the hell do the reasons matter? A sniper is not god-like in my eyes. He is cowardly and pathetic.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

2,905 posts

Posted:
I can see why people would think so, snipers dont play fair. I am generalising snipers and their role in battle not the sniper in New England. So dont think I am rationalising what that sniper is doing.

I still think that he is living out a fantasy, it is a game.

Do I know this for sure? No. But if I meet him I will be sure to ask. You cant know for sure unless he is cought, all the profiling in the world does not matter after all its just an assumption. Everyone knows what happens when you assume.

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
it is not the guns that are dangerous it is the people that use them....
and this dude is probably just an average joe too...
proly sick of being treated like a normal person and is getting back all the attention he missed out....
but then most people are the wood few are the varnish....

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

MusicMindedmember
10 posts

Posted:
MikeGinny, I grew up in a country where the only people having guns are either police or criminals. Think i'll be scared to death if someone pulls one on me. I'd probably get nervous if someone even shows me one. I can imagine people in the US look at it in a different way. Especially if you grow up with most people owning one. I'm glad it's not allowed out here. Anyway, i don't think it's bad to change laws. Nothing should be sacrosanct (not sure what the word means, something like sacred / holy i guess??). I mean if somethings is never open for discussion it will never change and i think change is sometimes necessary. Especially in the case of laws which where written 100s of years back. On the other hand i can see where you can from, if you start forbidding guns now you might start asking yourselves what will be next. Protesting?

Raymund, America is NOT the only country that pays people not to work. We're just as stupid ;-) I don't mind paying for people who can't work due to a reason. Just don't like the fact that there's people just living of my money because they don't feel like working while they can.

Gotto go...
M

No need to be void,...Or save up on life,...Got to spend it all,...

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Raymund Phule, why are you arguing with me so vehamently on this? I posted a statement of fact and a clearly stated speculation based on my education and experience and you cut into me like I just told you Norman Mailer is the Queen of France because my teacher said so.

I fail to understand how having specialized training in somthing somehow makes me even less able to speak on the subject for which I'm trained. But if this is what you wish to believe I will not argue with you.

Education does not make you unable to use instinct, it just helps when you're trying to chose the right instincts to follow.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
Ummm... could it be perhaps because you come off as intolerably arrogant and pedagogical? (Pot, Kettle, blah blah, I know.) Saying (paraphrase) "My opinion on this matter is not to be questioned by someone as ignorant as you" is not going to endear you to anyone.

You seem to be very touchy about your credentials and seem to be claiming expert status with considerably more intensity than some would feel warants on a net messageboard. Perhaps you have some insecurity issues you might want to talk about....?

quote:
Originally posted by SterlingSpider:
Raymund Phule, why are you arguing with me so vehamently on this? I posted a statement of fact and a clearly stated speculation based on my education and experience and you cut into me like I just told you Norman Mailer is the Queen of France because my teacher said so.

I fail to understand how having specialized training in somthing somehow makes me even less able to speak on the subject for which I'm trained. But if this is what you wish to believe I will not argue with you.

Education does not make you unable to use instinct, it just helps when you're trying to chose the right instincts to follow.

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
Heh. Well, I still can't really contact juggle worth shit. I haven't shot since I was a kid at scout camp, i.e. before I realized my vision was crap. Maybe I ought to take it up again =)

quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:
quote:
Originally posted by AardvarkOnAcid:
How long till the first copy cat?
Also, I don't believe it has to be some ex-military type. There are a lot of people who are good enough shots to put a bullet in a human sized target at a couple hundred yards on a consistent basis. I think the psychology needed is more rare than the actual shooting skills.

-A.

Aardy, you scare me. I taught you how to spin and I saw how you picked it up like nobody's business. And then contact juggling. And now swimming.

So I get a feeling that if you started to get into shooting, you could turn yourself into a first-rate marksman in two weeks. With a flair.

Except I happen to *know* many of the names on your list of victims.

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Why speculate?

Sure its entertaining but if there are people out there willing to shoot you at random on the street I feel I better go feed my goldfish incase I dont come home alive (a kind of a last supper between me and 'Bubbles' the goldfish).

I know for a 'FACT' that this guy has three testicles, a blue beard, works as a Macdonalds PR consultant, likes to eat Nutella NEVER VEGEMITE and never pisses standing up. I 'know' this because I have a degree in 'Psycho Dudes who like to shoot stuff Profiling' plus a degree in 'Big guns and stuff' and to top it off I graduated from Oxford last year with my degree in 'Pointless forum posts', finishing my PHD on 'Nutella and the Psychotropic effects of it on rabid hamsters'.

See I now have the most 'VALID' opinion on this forum so you must all bow down before me and hail me your new forum god!!!

Seriously though, chill out guys, respect each other's opinions and if their opinions directly clash with your own then send them a big hug cause obiviously thats what they need if their views about the world are so 'distorted' from your perfect perspective.

a BIG HUG to you all

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
quote:
What was it, 5, 6 years ago that two kids walked into a Colorado school and shot up a bunch of people? They had no priors, save maybe skipping school. True I would imagine that they had very low self esteems. It is hard to be called shit every day of your life and no feel bad about yourself.

I went to high school a ten minute drive north of Columbine high school. I knew people who died. I went to the memorial service. I laid flowers at the memorial. I comforted my friends who were terrified to go to school, and I comforted my friends who lost people too.
I still maintain that guns are not the problem. It is only what people focus on, because it appears to be the quick fix that we Americans are bred and raised to crave.

The problem is simply this:

Parents are no longer raising thier kids to be rational, functional, and intellegent members of society. Many families are opting to let TV raise their kids while they are at work or where ever. Thusly since we are a society demanding instant gratification we then attack TV and the content of sex and/or violence that it contains. When that doesn't work we move to video games, hollywood movies and popular music (whomever is the popular martyr for smut that year). None of this will solve anything. It only attacks symptoms and will never fix anything.

The gun/drug/terrorism problem will never be solved by legislation. How do you rationally plan to go about dissuading people with no regaurd for the law with more laws? Seriously, its never gonna work. The problem is that we no longer have any clue how to function as a society anymore. There has to be a devoted effort to repair the family unit and all the morals, values and common sense that goes along with it.

No amount of legislation will accomplish this either, and as well it shouldn't. Another large peice of the problem is that we as Americans expect people to do every thing for us. We expect are political and social problems to be solved by some magic house or senate bill. This only makes more laws and more government chipping away at our freedom that we prize so highly. With any amout of freedom comes a large amout of risk, more importantly it comes with a huge amout of responsibiliy and it seems that no one wants to take responsibilty for anything. We keep passing laws to combat crime, drugs, traffic violations, and keeping the neighbor's dog from pissing on your lawn, and it doesn't seem to be working. In fact the only thing it's doing is creating revenue for state and federal government.

I think that the world needs to be a more dangerous place. I think its going to have to get worse before it gets better. I'll use this as a metaphor: Rather than installing air bags in cars to promote safety it would be far more effective to install a razor sharp eight inch spike on the steering column with the tip pointing directly at the driver's eye. Then perhaps people will put their cell phones down and drive more carefully.
I fear it may have to be much the same for all aspects of society.

[ 15 October 2002, 15:57: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Jesus helps me trick people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
While listening to the radio at work today (around 4:00pm MST) I heard that the local athorities are questioning a possible suspect. He is apparently a (or an ex, I can't recall off hand) marine. He owns a white van fitting the sniper discription. He was shot by his girlfriend over the weekend, and if the report has any validity, he is being questioned as we speak in an undisclosed hospital location.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Reminds me of the Homer gets a gun episode of the Simpsons where he's waiting for his ID checks etc.

Shop Owner: Well, you've been declared Insane before, have a history of alcohol abuse and have a tendancy for rage.

Homer: Ooooooooh.

Shop Owner: So you're only eligable for 5 guns.

Homer: Woo Hoo!

Speaks volumes (as a satirical comment) about the checks put in place to make sure idiots like this sniper can't get weapons. Right to bear arms - yeah I can understand that. Not policing it stringently just so it's 'easier' for collectors/sports shooters to get their AKs - irresponsible.

Best wishes and safety to those living in the regions these weak attacks are happening.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Who is to say that this sniper wasn't a perfectly law abiding citizen before this little shooting spree. For all anyone knows he may never have had so much as a parking ticket.

iluminaryfaeriemember
89 posts

Posted:
BEZERKER:
i love that one. the simpsons do such a great job of mocking america's way of life.
*sigh* and most people dont' even get it

orangu-funking-tan

2,905 posts

Posted:
Sterling, I was only rebuting your comments. You say something, I say something and so on. Tis called a conversation. Unfortunatly you read to much into things. Sorry to offend you.

NEXT!!

AA, I have a compound prisim and some jacked up other stuff with my eyes, I dont have bottle bottom glasses or nothing but still if I take off my glasses the screen is a bitch to read.

Basically you can shoot just gotta adjust.

Sickpuppy I think good ole Eminem said it best,

"when the kid jumps off the terrice, where were the parents at, aperantly they arnt parents"

Seen as how there was another shooting today I dont think that guy did it. Unless its one of those "Scream" type deals.

[ 15 October 2002, 18:12: Message edited by: Raymund Phule ]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Okay, I am going to try & shift this conversation away from the American focus. Because most of us live in countries with varying degrees of regulation over ownership of firearms. What are the laws regarding this in your country? Have they changed in the last 10 years? Has it had any impact?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
International comparisons of gun legislation by the late, great Bill Hicks:
quote:

Like, I was over in England. You ever been to England, anyone, been to England?
No one has handguns in England, not even the cops. True or false?
True.
Now - in England last year, they had fourteen deaths from handguns. FFFFFourteen?.
Now - the United States, and I think you know how we feel about handguns - woooo, I'm getting a warm tingly feeling just saying the fucking word, to be honest with you. I swear to you, I am hard. Twenty-three thousand deaths from handguns.
Now let's go through those numbers again, because they're a little baffling at first glance. England, where no one has guns, fffffffourteen deaths. United States, and I think you know how we feel about guns - woooo, I'm getting a stiffy - twenty-three thousand deaths from handguns. But there's no connection, and you'd be a fool and a Communist to make one.
There's no connection between having a gun and shooting someone with it, and not having a gun and not shooting someone. There have been studies made and there is no connection at all there. Yes. That's absolute proof. You know, fourteen deaths from handguns. Probably American tourists, too.
(Angry tourist voice) You call this a sandwich? BANG! BANG! You don't boil pizza! BANG! BANG!
(Scared English voice) That's the way we eat here, that's the way we eat here! BANG!
(Tourist voice) This food sucks! BANG!
And boy, does it suck. Okay, great. If I had a gun, I woulda been number fifteen on that fucking list.
Okay, though, admittedly, last year in England, they had fourteen thousand deaths per every soccer game, okay. I'm not saying every system is flawless, I'm just saying, if you're in England, don't go to a goddamn soccer game, and you're coming home.
It's weird - they don't have guns in England, but they have a very high crime rate, which tells you how polite the fucking English are.
(English voices)
Give me your wallet!
All right.
At least no one was hurt. How do you have a crime rate and no weapons, man? Does a guy walk into a bank:
(English voices) Give me all your money! I've got a soccer ball!
Shit, Ian, that's a Spalding, he's serious! Hand over the pounds!
I just don't understand this blood lust, 'cause, you know, I know the world seems really frightening at times, but I think we're gonna do okay.

less arms = better!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

2,905 posts

Posted:
Umm well I have heard that guy quoted before but one thing... Who the hell is he??

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my personal hero!
he was a great man who used comedy to speak so much truth about what was wrong with the world.
The man had no ego and confronted us the stupidity of humanity on such issues as religious fundamentalism, big goverment, compassion, war, and a huge preoccupation with dumb drug policy.
His comedy allowed a new perspective on the bigger issues, and you really do walk away from a viewing a much smarter person. i like that in an entertainer.
his rant about drugs improving our lives through music has been sampled in tool songs and psytrance songs.. he really affected so many people.
i can't say that I have many heroes, but bill hicks is. may he rest peace.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

2,905 posts

Posted:
We all gotta have a hero, some are yet to be discoverd, but we all gotta have em.

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:

AA, I have a compound prisim and some jacked up other stuff with my eyes, I dont have bottle bottom glasses or nothing but still if I take off my glasses the screen is a bitch to read.

Basically you can shoot just gotta adjust.

Yeah, this was all back before I realized I needed glasses, and that I was actually supposed to be able to make out the bulls eye from however many yards away. Its kind of funny to think back on it, I guess I just thought the world was that blurry for everyone.

2,905 posts

Posted:
See its that right there that makes me think;

If what I see as brown, do others see as blue? I mean the colours not the names.

Like the grass is green, everyone knows this, but the colour the grass is, is called green. Could it be blue to me and yet I still call it green because everyone else does?

Anybody elses head hurt?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Australia has gone through major law reforms with regards to gun control in the last decade. The following should give some background:

quote:

Firearms Reform - debated nationally for many years.

The issue of firearms reform has been on the agenda of the Australasian Police Ministers' Council many times in past years. Some of the measures agreed at the 10 May meeting had been raised in 1987 and again in 1990 and 1991. Previous Commonwealth governments were unsuccessful in their efforts to bring the States and Territories together to implement effective nationwide firearms controls.

The need to strictly control the availability of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns was reinforced by the tragic killings in Hoddle Street and Queen Street, Melbourne in 1987, Strathfield in Sydney in 1991 and at Port Arthur in 1996.

Figures prepared by the Australian Bureau of Statistics highlight the fact that in the 16 years from 1980 to 1995, more than 10,150 people were killed in firearm related deaths. *

The agreement on firearms law reform reached at the special meeting of Australasian Police Ministers on 10 May 1996 was the result of detailed preparation and extensive consultation over many years.

Working together
Governments are working with the community to remove the most dangerous firearms from circulation.

The Commonwealth is meeting the costs of establishing the firearm buyback schemes and of setting up the new licensing and registration systems. Part of the funding has gone to a 12-month firearm buyback ending 30 September 1997. In addition to the buyback, an amnesty is in place across Australia to allow for the hand-in of any firearm or ammunition without prosecution. State and Territory public education campaigns are in operation to explain the new measures. (In South Australia the buyback ended on 28 February 1997 and the amnesty ends on 30 June 1997.)

The costs of an upgrade to the central core component of the National Exchange of Police Information system, and the development of national core standards for firearms safety training for new firearms licence applicants, have also been met by the Commonwealth.

* Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Firearms Deaths in Australia 1980-95, ABS Catalogue No. 4397.0

There is a link here to frequently asked questions which should outline what firearms are prohibited etc. As the reforms implemented also included a gun buy-back, they include stats on the cost of buying back weapons made illegal.

In terms of deaths caused by firearms in Australia, here is some info:

quote:
In a household where a firearm is kept, it is 48 times more likely that the firearm will be used to kill a member of the household than an intruder.

In the past decade 116 people have been killed in Australia and New Zealand in 14 massacres where four or more people have been shot.

Military style semi-automatic firearms were used by only six of these perpetrators, yet their victims accounted for 74% of the 116 people.

There were 84,000 firearms, excluding military firearms imported into Australia between January and December in 1995.

Research conducted for the Commonwealth in 1996 showed that 10 percent of Australians own a firearm. Sixteen percent of Australians live in a household where there is a firearm.

More information about firearm deaths and injuries in Australia is available in studies conducted by the Australian Institute of Criminology, the Institute of Health and Welfare and the Australian Bureau of Statistics

I am not trying to hold up Australia as some perfect scheme. However the country has proved that it is possible to bring about reform. And investigations have been done as to why it was necessary.

The UK looked at bringing in similar reforms after the killing of young kindergarten students in Scotland. To my knowledge this was not done, the feeling being that current legislation was sufficient.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Further info from the Dept of Criminology:

A study conducted between 1 July 1997 (end of firearms amnesty for buyback scheme in Australia) & 30 June 1999 shows that:

quote:
Of the 117 offenders who used firearms to commit homicide, only 11 (9.4%) homicide offenders were licensed firearms owners with registered firearms
The report goes on to say that whilst there has been an overall decline in homicides committed involving firearms, the pattern of homicides has changed. The number of licensed legal firearms involved in homicides has been reduced, suggesting that irresponsible and unsuitable persons have had reduced access to legal guns (gun licensing becoming more effective). However these people are also likely to obtain firearms through illegal means.

It suggests that any further legislation in this area is likely to only affect legal gun owners. And further attention needs to be paid to the trade in illegal firearms.

See here for full report.

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Blah, it's far too easy to read too much vehamance into peoples comments in text, I also happen to be very shy and defensive.

*holds out conciliatory jar of Nutella*

*would hold out a conciliatory jar of the other stuff people here are always raving about but has never tried it and wouldn't know where to look to get it*

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

2,905 posts

Posted:
Trust me your no where near as defencive as I am hehe no worries k

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
quote:
Your gun laws that your so in favor of (why you give a rats ass what happens outside of your own country I have no idea)
WTF?
Is it not a good idea to have an interest in events that happen in other countries? Current affairs anyone?

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

2,905 posts

Posted:
No, you read that wrong or too much into it.

This is how I see it, Dom likes to stick his nose into other peoples business and preach at them. That was just part of my defence twords what he does.

It is however a grand idea to know whats going on in the world around you, nobody does that better than Dom. That I will admit freely.

He just has the tendoncy to come off as highly rude and offence when ever he talks about America or anything related to America.

Page: