Forums > Social Chat > What's the nicest thing you've ever done for somebody...

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
And not wanted anything in return?
I'm always doing nice things so I can't pick out anything in particular.
hug
I'm so loveably fuzzy, like a tennis ball with feelings...

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I shaved my once long blonde hair off for 'Shave for a cure' and raised over a grand. It was in front of all my school ubblol. That was a couple of years back, my hair has grown back to it's length that it was before I got it shaved off now.

I think everyone has forgotten about it now!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:
I had a phone call from a distressed mother of a friend of mine who'd moved to Jersey to be with her (then) boyfriend.

We'd all tried to discourage the move because we could see that it wasn't working, but she had just come out of a terrible relationship with a friend of mine so was probably looking for attention in the wrong ways.

Anyway, on the phone, it was quite clear that Gemma was terminally miserable and her mum was really worried about her. I spent over an hour trying to calm her down before going over there for coffee. I sat down with Gemma's mum (about six miles from my house) and listened to what she had to say, all the while thinking of what I could do to remedy the situation.

I'd never flown before but I'll never forget sitting in that plane; it was a small (rows of two seats on either side of the isle) and it actually had propellers ( eek ). We landed in the evening and I jumped in a cab to the address given to me to find Gemma wandering aimlessly around the (massive) garden. She told me that her fella had hit her so I went round there and....well, that's another story. BUT, I went back to the house and packed all of Gemma's stuff and we both stayed in a hotel before flying home together. Her mum was over the moon when we pulled up. I hadn't told anyone of my plan (just in case I couldn't get on the plane lol)

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

899 posts

Posted:
Now I generally hate people and am a bitter and twisted young man. I've had to stop beating up puppies and throwing kittens around because they've started hitting back!!

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i try to be nice to everyone i meet, but i am ultra nice to the ones i love, and really there are to many things to list of what ive done for those people.

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i like scareing old ladies. I wear all black most days, and i can look pretty scarey in steel caps and a black leather jacket. How i scare them, i'm polite and curtious and open doors, move ot of their way, get things off supermarket shelves etc. It gives them quite a shock.
Other than that i try and do nice things to people. I'm offering floor space to HoPpers in sep/oct for common ground biggrin Ry is going to cook me dinner *cheeky grin* and let me play with his camera PLEASE!!

But my next nice thing is giving everyone hugs grouphug

Do we sleep when we die?

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
um, I try to be nice to everyone, always miss nice girl.
Um probably the nicest thing I did was save someone from drowning and teaching people how to swim when I was a volunteer lifeguard over the summer a few years ago.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

899 posts

Posted:
Written by: blu_valley

Um probably the nicest thing I did was save someone from drowning and teaching people how to swim when I was a volunteer lifeguard over the summer a few years ago.

I was a lifeguard when I was 16 and when I came on to shift once, I did the perimeter search of the pool (as you do when you change pool areas) and found a kid floating at the bottom of the pool.

I Raised the alarm, dived in and pulled him out and proceeded with single man CPR (for 12 minutes straight) until they could find another guard (who wasn't watching one of the the three other pools) to assist. We carried on for a further 5 minutes until the paramedics arrived but he didn't make it frown

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
I once let a friend throw up all over me so she wouldnt have thrown up over thee car and have to pay the taxi man for throwing up over his seats........ I also got her backstage at the Distillers / Icarus line gig last year

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sir Nuggit

Written by: blu_valley

I was a lifeguard when I was 16 and when I came on to shift once, I did the perimeter search of the pool (as you do when you change pool areas) and found a kid floating at the bottom of the pool.

I Raised the alarm, dived in and pulled him out and proceeded with single man CPR (for 12 minutes straight) until they could find another guard (who wasn't watching one of the the three other pools) to assist. We carried on for a further 5 minutes until the paramedics arrived but he didn't make it frown

Oh tough luck Nuggit, I'm sure you did the best you could.
i dont know what I would have done if that happened on my watch, its one of the main resons I dont do it anymore.
hug

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

899 posts

Posted:
It was proper rubbish for the both of us, but they gave us two days off and the option of a counsellor. But it would have been a lot worse for the family concerned.

I'd love to still be doing it, it was good fun but that time has passed now

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
One of my friends got in a huge mess with drugs and alcohol. I gave him a room in my house (with very strict anti-classA-drugs+alcohol-rules) and looked after him for 6 months. I basically mothered him and helped him out of his depression. Most of us thought he wouldn't survive a year at the rate he was going. Now he has just finished his Law degree (1st with honors biggrin ) and is going to be a barister. I am soooo proud of him.

Helping someone get off drugs is emotionally and physically exhausting but i would do it again for any of my friends in an instant.

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
i cant really think of the nicest thing i've done for someone i seem to always end up hurting people i care about but i do little things for people even just smile at someone that looks like they've had a bad day can make a difference to that person.
i'm sure a day will come when i do something uberly nice for someone though biggrin

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
probably done some nice things...but i'm not a nice person. but have taught kids ll different kinds of physical activity including swimming and of course juggling

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

thegreatnonamemember
58 posts

Posted:
nicest thing I do is buy homless people food when I see them around fastfood places.

Isn't sanity a one trick pony? Rational thought is all you get but when you are crazy the sky is the limit.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Good on you noname, and the erst of you. Large ammounts of hugs to all, especially Nuggit.

I teach people circusarts too Mynci! Circus workshops have been known to spontaneously bbreak out around me. cool

The nicest thing I've done for someone by direct action (at least this year, I'm not certain about previously) is probably cheering up a guy I'd met perhaps once as he cried in the corridor. He was just sitting in a corner sobbing and noone was helping him. It was crazy...I went and spoke to him, there was basicly nothing I could do about his trouble and it is nasty, so little good would have come of me telling him it wasn't, anyway explaining it seemed to get him to stop crying and I bought him a packet of twisties cos that looked like about all I could do to keep him happy a while.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

899 posts

Posted:
Written by: thegreatnoname

nicest thing I do is buy homless people food when I see them around fastfood places.

I once bought a homeless guy a burger from Maccy d's on Oxford Street (I was drunk at the time) but he didn't want it! I spent ages trying to convince him but alas, enevitably I added it to the grub I'd eaten rolleyes

Teaching kids something that they'll remember is uber-nice because it gives you satisfaction in the knowledge that you're helping to mold these little tykes in to tomorrows leaders.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sir Nuggit

Teaching kids something that they'll remember is uber-nice because it gives you satisfaction in the knowledge that you're helping to mold these little tykes in to tomorrows leaders.

Or reprobates like us.. ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

899 posts

Posted:
Written by: mynci

Or reprobates like us.. ubblol

Speak for yourself Mynci, I'm a perfectly sane, normal human being......My mum says so ubbloco

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
One of my friends was running for vice-president of my students association earlier this year and to help him I agreed to wear one of his tee-shirts. Of course at the time I didn't realise that he would be instilling them with his unique brand of humour and openness about his sexuality. Cue two days of me wearing the gayest tee-shirt ever seen by man. I don't think anyone else in his campaign team wore them but me. In the end he won and I got some very flatering offers but unfortunatly none which I would be willing to acept... redface

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i generally like to make peoplehappy however i do it and don't like people to be sad i can't think of a particular thing right now but it is a nice thing to do even if it is very small

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
#Takes off hat to posters in the thread so far#

Chucks nuns

courts1979BRONZE Member
Rainbow Brite
169 posts

Posted:
hmmm

i used to do TS Vincent De Paul camps.
Where u volunteer to be camp leaders and take 30 -50 underprivaledged kiddies from socially and economically disadvantaged background on camp, rangin from 5 -13yrs.

fantastic to see the smiles these kiddies have , espeacially when they get to eat icecream everynite...

CX

Lifes too short, dance nakked & wiggle ur arse!!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
And there's me thinking there's no nice people left in the world!
hug

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

643 posts

Posted:
Good on you Courts. biggrin

Chucks nuns

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
nicest thing i've done.........hmmmmmmm (thinks)

someone from another site couldn't afford to go to an event so i got her a ticket and a week later she sorted me out the money, not bad for a complete stranger!!!! and we're pretty good mates now.

another good deed i did was while waiting for a train home some guy came and asked me if i had a spare roll up (ciggerett) so i rolled him one and got chatting to him.
he said at least there's some decent people left in the world" and "manners cost nothing" after which he gave me a 50gram pouch of tobacco. i'll help people if i can but when people start taking advantage that's when they deserve hadship..... and a smack upside the head!!!!

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
Its easy being nice to people you don't know, or you like. But very difficult being nice to people you DON'T like. I think the world would go much further, if people were nice unconditionally, and the person who it was didn't matter either.

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner