Page:
roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
All of a sudden i've become interested in this subject. How many different blood types are there? I know the basics, like A, B, AB, O, pos/neg. Is that all? Which one(s) is common? What ones are rare? Do you know what blood type you are?

I don't know what blood type I am. I'm going to donate blood soon, (I had to wait 12 months after getting a tattoo), so then I'll find out. For some reason I'm really eager to find out...I'd love to have a blood type no one has ever encountered something like blood type KW8- ubblol *shrugs* lol I don't know.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Isn't it one of the rare types of blood that can be given to anyone before they find out what blood group is needed?

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:
If you have blood type O, you can recieve blood in A or B form (I think) but if you're A or B, you can't recieve any other form. Looky looky

I wouldn't want to have the rare blood coz if you need a transfusion for some reason, you're at a higher risk of not getting any blood. Common as muck is better in this case.

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
In Australia they give you little keyrings with your blood type on them. Its cool.

Do we sleep when we die?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I'm B+
I also follow the diet regime of eating according to blood type... which for me means cutting out a few things I don;t like anyway , and gaining a new lease of life without inflammatory conditions that bugged me for years. A lot of people diss the idea 9 cos it 'shoudln't' work . A lot of people follow it. I know heaps of people it has helped. It finally makes sense to me of why eg some people thrive (or get away) with being vegetarian and others ( like me) don't. Or some people go on about milk making 'mucus' where I drink gallons and never get a spot of snot in my life...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
i'm a positive.

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

2,443 posts

Posted:
i'm a positive.

2,443 posts

Posted:
i'm a positive.

899 posts

Posted:
So positive she said it three times wink

2,443 posts

Posted:
i didnt mean too i'm silly ubbloco

welcome back mr nuggit!

899 posts

Posted:
Lol, I do that all the time. Thanks hon, 'tis good to be back offtopic sorry all, carry on biggrin:

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
hmmm....I'm not sure I like being in a rarer blood group. If I was in a accident and needed blood... frown

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

CabenTaster of beer, drinker of wine and all around stumbler.
238 posts

Posted:
The rarest blood type is AB- and can be given to anyone......but if you have AB- you can only receive AB-! So being the rarest is great in that your blood can help everyone, but the down side is that if you ever needed blood it is not easily available.

I am A- and use to donate regularly....but now I work in some pretty unusual places and they won’t take my blood as I may have been exposed to all sorts of bugs like Yellow Fever, etc

Oh...and you got all the blood types that I know of.

A high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live and too rare to die.

a crowded elevator smells different to a midget

If you take me seriously you would be the only one

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
mm.. i'm not allowed to give blood.. being quite small/anaemic. so i don't know what type i am shrug ah well.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
*bump*

I've since donated twice (well, one and a half). And I'm O+

I went there today to donate again but they had trouble finding veins, they did the first time too but I still managed back then!

They punctured me twice, one in each arm, and the blood starting coming out.

But then they stopped it and told me not to bother donating anymore because my veins are too fine frown

On the upside. They offered me reception work! ubblol

So I walked out of the bloodbank with mixed emotions: disappointment, but happy at the same time........and with two bandages on my arms! ubblol

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't know what my blood type is. They didn't tell me!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
one & a half donations?? umm tongue

i'm b+! biggrin but i'm not allowed to give blood now...well maybe i am? last time i gave blood (probably 2 years ago now) they told me to go away & come back when my iron levels were higher... ubblol

reception work too?! it's not every day you go to give blood & walk away with a job offer!! biggrin did you say yes??

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah I said yes!

But it's only volunteer work.

Ah well. It will stil be good.

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
bloody type? mine's the tasty one/type. yum! tongue

JohnVentureBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Well I found out to be a B+ when I first gave blood last year, after 22 years of lies where my mum led me to beleive I was O+.

I was rather disappointed: O+ sounded rather noble as they are almost universal donors, and I was so proud to be of any help when I walked in the blood bank that the shock was rude when the nurse calmly said :"Nope, you're a sucky B+".

Allright, maybe she didn't say 'sucky'.

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
Written by: Caben

The rarest blood type is AB- and can be given to anyone......but if you have AB- you can only receive AB-! So being the rarest is great in that your blood can help everyone, but the down side is that if you ever needed blood it is not easily available.

i think thats a bit mixed up, but close. o is the blood type that can donate to anyone, and ab is the type that can recieve from anyone. the blood types are determined by two things..whether you have 'a' or 'b' surface protines covering your blood cells, and whether rhesus factor is present or not.

the rhesus bit determines whether you're positive or negative, (if you've got rhesus factor present on your blood cells you're positive). and there are 2 types of surface protiens that can be on the your blood cells. but there are 4 different combinations. you can have just a (A), just b (B), both a and b (AB), or neither (O).

say you are A blood type, you'll have anti B antibodies in your blood, so if you come in contact with any B protines, your body attacks them as foreign bodies. so you can only accept blood from other A's or from O's who have no surface protines. AB's cos they don't see either A or B as foreign can accept from anyone without reactions, but O's see any protine as foreign, so can't accept from anyone except other O's.

sorry for boring the hell out of everyone, but i get excited about such things...sad eh?

i'm O+, common as they come rolleyes i haven't given blood for ages, and i can't for another month as that'll be 1 year since my last piercing.

shen shui: re donating blood is silly, if i've got something i can spare that'll make a difference to other peoples lives, i'm more than happy to give it.

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
im O -

im so damned common!

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Blood grouping gets a bit more complicated as there are a few rare blood types which don't fall into the ABO rhesus system. See the Wikipedia entry on the subject if your interested.

Written by: Doc Lightning

I can't donate for being gay.

Written by: Medusa

That's horrid....prejudice....

All groups with high HIV and other blood transmitted diseases are prohibited from giving blood. Those include recent South African immigrants, IV drug users, the recently tatooed and men who have had sex with men. The policy is in place to try and prevent the spread of blood borne pathogens. I don't like to discriminate anymore than you do but it's neccasery in this case.

Written by: shen shui

i think its silly to give your blood away.
people who give blood are often already lacking in blood as it is. think having a biscuit'll fill you full of blood? nopey.
-sigh-
its very nice and helpful, yes, im not disputing that. just saying that the majority of ppl that give blood should be the ones receiving it.
thats all.

The buscuit is for the sugar to get your energy up, but that's beside the point. Almost everyone can spare a pint of blood without any harmful effects. And the aneamic usually need more iron in their diet, not more blood. All in all it's not silly to give you blood away, that one pint of it can keep a surprising number of premature babies alive. Well worth feeling aneamic for a week in my opinion.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

JohnVentureBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Written by:

The buscuit is for the sugar to get your energy up

I thought it was just a pretext to keep you around for a while and make sure you won't faint in the street ?

Oh by the way, you might want to add "brits" to your list of undesired-donors: in France I got denied from the blood bank because of the mad cow disease :P.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: jeff(fake)

All groups with high HIV and other blood transmitted diseases are prohibited from giving blood. Those include recent South African immigrants, IV drug users, the recently tatooed and men who have had sex with men. The policy is in place to try and prevent the spread of blood borne pathogens. I don't like to discriminate anymore than you do but it's neccasery in this case.

I've done the research on this. Britain does not have this restriction. It's based on false assumptions and not on valid data.

So it is prejudice.

IV drug users, of course. South African Imigrants have an almost 30% seropositivity rate, so of course. But seropositive gay men are still a small minority.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I just took my bandage off before. I left it on for ages cos it was hurting and I was too scared to take it off. I took it off and I was greeted with a huge nasty dark red bruise frown

I now look like a junkie. I have a hole on my left arm from the needle on the first attempt, and another hole on my right arm with surround by deep red nastiness frown

I didn't bruise the first time I donated...

And it's still throbbing and hurting and I donated (well, attempted to) about 10 hours ago! Should I be worried? confused

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
no, u shouldnt be worried, i think brusing is quite common with blood transfusions my friend had one when she donated, although ive never experienced giving blood, not aloud frown

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Eh? I thought Blu couldn't donate in britain because she was south african.....

Yeah, having lived in europe I can't donate in america... go mad cow disease! Continental europe no less.... (West Germany).

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

I've done the research on this. Britain does not have this restriction. It's based on false assumptions and not on valid data.

So it is prejudice.

IV drug users, of course. South African Imigrants have an almost 30% seropositivity rate, so of course. But seropositive gay men are still a small minority.

Dear me that isn't good. Perhaps you should push for the lifting of the restriction in America. If it is based on prejudice rather than data then you are losing a large number of perfectly valid donors. Based on JohnVenture's experience in France it sounds like there is a lot of blind discrimination going on (and he may well be right about the biscuit too).

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I'm B+. I'm sure I've read somewhere once (ages ago) that the rarity or popularity of certain bloodtypes is different from continent to continent.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

Dear me that isn't good. Perhaps you should push for the lifting of the restriction in America. If it is based on prejudice rather than data then you are losing a large number of perfectly valid donors. Based on JohnVenture's experience in France it sounds like there is a lot of blind discrimination going on (and he may well be right about the biscuit too).

What? Blind discrimination in AMERICA? Surely you jest. Such a thing would never happen! eek wink Heavens to Betsy!

I mean, clearly American policy is based on well-documented and purely rational justification. After all, it must be scientifically proven that gays can't fight for shyte, or they'd allow them allowed in the military, surely! wink

And clearly there must be firm evidence that gays make bad parents because otherwise, surely they'd allow them to adopt! wink

Nooooo, there's no blind discrimination in AMERICA! Never!

(Oh dear, did I just spill sarcasm all over the place? And that stuff is so hard to get out, too...)

As for the bit about the cookies and juice, they do take a pint of fluid off you, so it's best to replace it. The cookies are there to encourage you to stick around, but also to give you some sugar since some people have stress responses to blood loss and can bottom out their blood glucose a bit.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: