Forums > Social Chat > drinking sewerage water.

Login/Join to Participate

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
I was just watching stuff on the morning news here in Adelaide Australia about things to do for water during the drought and they were saying places like London and New York use filtered/sanitised sewerage water for water for the homes, ie for drinking, showering water.

I was just wondering if this is true? if so does it taste different? to botteled water? does it make the water cheaper by recycling it?

EDITED_BY: DragonFury (1118101633)

Do we sleep when we die?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
It is true!!

recycled water is meant to be purer that "normal" water.

Tastes perfectly fine..

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
okay. Just curious about it. There are many ideas that they are thinking of to set up for most of the major cities over here in Australia. Most of OZ is in drought and there is no sign of it ending soon. There are a couple of politicians talking about nucleor desalination. Others talking about recycling sewerage water. My idea is just pipe the water from places like Darwin/tip of Queensland, where there is tropical climate and lots of water. The amount of water that flows out of the rivers into the ocean there is amazing.

Do we sleep when we die?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Don't most places in the world have recycled water?? confused I thought it was quite normal. All underground sewerage systems exit in filtration plants that clean the water before putting it back into the system? Or am i thinking of something different to what you mean?

smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure on what happens here in Adelaide, But in Darwin, the sewerage water is treated and then some is used to water football fields and fire hydrants, and the rest it pumped into creeks/mangrooves.

The system they were saying of implimenting is that the water would be treated even more, and then used for tap water in the home.

Do we sleep when we die?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
down here it gets a little treatment then pumped into the ocean at gunnatamatta beach and a few other places.

it makes the water taste funky, and there's a virus in every 50L of water.

ew

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
we obviously don;'t have enough (any) mangrooves wink

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Our dirty water in Halifax gets pumped into the harbour (Atlantic ocean) frown Ewwie, but they're slowly fixing that, I think smile But we also have no drought problems!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey, if you go back far enough, it all peed out of something. wink

I don't think NYC does it, but LA might.

I do know that NYC has particularly good tap water. Ironic I guess.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]