Page:
LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
humm, so tennis grips lose their grip after a while, damned things......

so today i covered my grips with silicon sealent, and now.......mmm they are lovley, nice and bouncy, but in a controlled way, and for contact i like
apart from the silicon does peal unless you massagre it in wiht your fingers.

any other suggestions?

(i dont want to buy more gips that i will have to replace really soon.)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Silicone isnt that runny and if you pull the outer tube up slowly it will stick to the staff quite happily.

Happy building smile

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah I've got some plastidip. Hard to use, since it's very very bad for you if you breath it in. (Not only carcinogenic, oh no! also can cause damage to your unborn baby) Also, you would have to find a way to 'dip' the middle of your staff, or spray coat it many many times.

It's not particularly grippy I found... but I never got around to do many layers... I think it would be better to stick a layer of grit on the staff and then spray the rubber over the top. (many times) to add grip.

Many many years ago, and in a galaxy far away, a fire performer called Gora was said to use a rubber compound on the end of his staffs, right next to the wick, to insulate against the heat, so that he wouldn't be burned by the metal there. It burned off eventually, but he just replaced it. I don't know, I haven't tested the veracity of that story with Plasti Dip.

Also, Plasti Dip makes a product called "super grip" or spray on grip or something. I've got some of that too. Same toxicity. And yeah it is grippy. I used it on bare metal, just to test it out. It made it feel like you'd sprayed on glue and it was tack dry. But then you rubbed your hands and there wasn't any residue on them. Weird stuff. I'm not sure if it lasts or whatnot, cos I donated that staff to a friend shortly after. I definately think it's good stuff for use on top of other grips... to make them extra grippy for a short while. Grippy to the point of sticking to you.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
had a look on the plasti dip site and the super grip stuff looks pretty awesome, may get some to experiment with and possibly add it to my concentrate staffs as they're not the grippiest things. May also try using it with some non-fire staffs to make them grippy all the way along.

biggrin

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah be careful when you experiment. These are very toxic chemicals. You should use them only outdoors, away from people, and with a decent safety mask. When they say it can harm your unborn baby, and it's a carcinogen... it means it's pretty dangerous stuff.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Will do, have a couple of masks I can use, Though may see about using the fume cupboards at college, they seem rather handy when dealing with carcinogens.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
sounds tricky stuff.. although I don't think yoni will lose his baby unless he's been fibbing a lot the laast couple of years wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Hey all.
I didn't want to pollute the boards with another New Topic... so I thought I'd post this here.

Bit of a silly question.

I've decided to purchase some hockeystick tape for the grip of my fire staff, as the tennis grip I have at the moment only covers a very small part of the staff - and this apparntly isn't good for contact.

But I don't know what stuff to get. tongue

https://www.crazykennys.com/acatalog/Products_Stick_Tape_etc_70.html

At first I thought it was the "Stick Tape - Large"
But then I scrolled down and saw the last one; "Grip Tape - White"

You can see a difference in texture if you look closely, and so it left me a little confused as to which I should get!

What tape would you suggest? smile

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I do want to do contact... smile
So I take it I get the "Stick Tape" ?

Thanks for your help. biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no you don't.

That's ice hockey tape. I always refer to hockey tape to mean hockey tape, for hockey sticks. It's much fatter, more cushiony and more like squash / tennis / badminton racquet grip tape.

I've tried thin fabric like tape out that looks like some of the tapes on that site, but it wasn't great for contact. I was a noob back then thou, so I needed good grip on my staff.

Thou obviously I haven't tried specific ice hockey tape out as grip, so it could be magically good... In my opinion it would be better to get a couple of fat racguet tape grips and try them out for a while. Try out lots of grip's till you find one you like.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Okie dokie,
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realise there was a difference between ice-hockey stick tape, and just hockey stick tape.

I'll go around town and hunt down lots of grips to try out as you suggest.

And I'll also keep hunting for this fatter/cushiony hockey tape you speak of. :-\

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it's like, hockey, on grass with shorter wooden sticks and a spherical ball. Y'know, that kinda hockey.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
mr mattbassman has a 1cm wide strip of ice hockey grip on his aerotech and it's still sticky to the touch after about 2 years! I can actually do some nice contact with it as it's only a tiny strip in the middle it doesn't really block light as your hand blocks more wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Field Hockey.

I dont think you can go wrong with tennis grip. Ive tried the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff. Cheap stuff doesnt last as long but other then that there isnt really a difference. also if you want cusionier(word?) grip some come with foam on the underside. i liek the tennis grip because its made to absord sweat and moisture.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

trokas1BRONZE Member

Posted:
why not just to use leather?
using it for both contact and doubles

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
ive used bike innertubes since i made my first stick 6 years ago, has always done me fine grip wise, am sorely temped by the firetoys gear though silicone is the way to go i reckon.
I coated a practice staff in silicone a few years ago, i found it was itrritant and peeled off really badly,
Ive seen Silicone stuck on the outside of aerotechs too, long time ago mind.

surf wax is good tho, a fine coating of Mr Zoggs on the grip and super sticky contact tricks literally stick to you skin (or shirt ect) greta for pulling off tricks, not so good for keeping you clothes not covered in wax!

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
the silicone grips rip the hair off your body.. and are quite hard not good for catching on the wrists from fishtail throws.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
some moves require you to slide the center of your staff to a new position. Matrix propellors being one. If you have a staff that's so grippy it won't slide, it'll be very difficult to do the movements that require it. I wouldn't use something actually 'sticky' for a grip on a contact staff.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i just cover mine in honey and then re-apply when it gets dirty. This is also a good technique in coaxing bears outta the jungle.....

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I just use drawing pins to stop my stick sliding about.

Not only do I learn contacty stuff quicker, I also get an acupuncture session smile

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i was doing that....the problem i had was that when you practice neck wraps or something over and over....you tend to pass out for a bit

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

jumblymambaputting a new spin on juggling
21 posts

Posted:
There's a silicon tube avalible in many different dimensions ,it only smolders if it's too near the flames I've used it for years on the bits that don't get hot,It looks like a semi clear plastic pipe but it 's got great friction ..I buy it from a hardware shop it's quite cheap...The main problem is getting it over the staff or whatever cos then the friction stops it sliding on-I use chalk dust to help it on or washinp liquid.The other problem was when I ask for silicon tube they always assume I want the sealent that comes in a tube...ciao for now

JUMBLYMAMBA-THE SHOW THEY CANNOT BUY

Page: