Forums > Technical Discussion > Globalz poi- not impressed!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
leeptaluSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi all,
Hoping that this hasnt been covered in other threads (did a search!) .Just bought myself a pair of Globalz poi- and they are pretty diappointing to say the least!! The finger loops broke after my second go and after using them for only 3 days the screw cap on the batteries is broken- and i havent even given them a good bashing! My pal bought a pair the same day and her finger loops came undone the first day also. Thinking of getting a refund and sticking with my flag poi for the mo, or maybe i should just let the shop give me a new pair and save them for night time.... or is this missing the point....?anyone out there own these poi and had probs?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Globalz = Globall.com = Aerotech?

Or someone else?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Don't think so - given Aerotech balls don't come with handles, or screw-in battery caps...

Possibly Rainbow Strobe poi (the wierd ones that look like a tangle of rings and smell of strawberries), or maybe the new Alternator Poi?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"en Aerotech balls don't come with handles, or screw-in battery caps..."
The poi do though..

well..maybe not screw in battery caps..

You know what I mean.. rolleyes

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No they don't - the glometeors just come with a loop so you can attach your own handle...
And none of them have batteries.

Bitch wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"And none of them have batteries."
Well how do they work then dipstick?

and I aint your bitch!

tongue

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
This weekend you are wink

Aaaaaaaaanywa...
What are these poi?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"This weekend you are"
I will have to ask permission first....

and I thought when you said "none of them" you were reffering to them as the entire Aerotech range.

Are you saying that the Aerotech poi (meteors if the poi dont exist) dont have batteries? eek
Are they powered by how fast you spin them? Have they got that sort of technology?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Smoke and mirrors my friend

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
google is good for easy durbs.

the bag looks nice at least...? umm

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I bought some (they're made by poipoi i think)
They broke within days!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Those look a little dodgy from the photo..

Cake or Death?

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I have some that are still working after a fair bit of abuse but they aren't very bright and aren't really worth the money.

"Take that, math!"

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
poipoi handles are crap. replaced them with cobra handles straight away

ordered the white ones but they were out of stock. apparently they don't make whites anymore so ended up with red/blue/green strobe and £5 knocked off. one of the red leds is a bit finnicky now tho so sometimes end up with blue/green/off strobe. usually only carry them round anymore for keeping spare bits in the case hehe.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I can't work out why they still make their handles like that....its just plain silly!!

The metal just slices through them in seconds!

They must have had so many returns...and they still keep making them!

onamishnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hiya... try the rainbow sock poi through the home of poi shop right here :-) They are the same balls but new design from HOP's own supplier has ensured that they are top quality... buy with confidence !

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
these "glowballz" are simply rainbow-in-motion funsacks that someone made crap handles for... just make glow hacky poi instead

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Poipoi products are crap, end of story

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
they are crap but at Run to the Sun this weekend they were selling everything for £5 so i got somepretty flags, put new fingerloops on them....lovely!!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I've got some of those globalz too. I had to take one lot back to the shop as one didn't even turn on. The ones I've got now are ok but very fiddly, and the handles have nearly frayed away to nothing, although the strings on them are sound. They are a nice weight but the handles are definately no good. I wouldn't write them off compleatly, but they're definately not that great. You can get a hell of a lot better, for not much more money. I never use these ones now, and I won't be buying anything else made by poipoi.
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1137930552)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
i like mine although the balls are known to come on at random. The thread on the battery seems to get crossed quite easily so it can be a pain to sort the batteries out. I agree the handles are shite. Mine have started to fray slightly but other than that they have served me well.

Gayle.....!

stevo_the_piratenewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I also have these poi and the handles are breaking (couple of weeks old). The balls fly off the clips on the string when I spin fast. I will modify this weekend but they are good for a cheep set to keep in the car for unexpected partys and the like.

Every day's a schoolday.

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
I got some. They are rotten tripe.

I have a handy little blue torch now though. Good for finding my better poi in the dark.

I will never again be buying poi from the shop which recommended them. Ruby Moon in High Wycombe. Nice staff shame about the poi! ubblol ubblol ubblol

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I got a set from Fire-Toys. I think they're called Glo-Bugs. They're quite good, Only downfall is they use up like 4 Varta's in 2 hours...

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

dakininewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I bought some glow balz from poipoi and the bag they were in ripped on my first go of them, the ball ended up flying out and getting mauled by next doors dog grrrrr. Anyways i gotit back and ended up having to make a bag out of those washing up tablet bags. About a week later the handle broke i was so unimpressed!!

intoxicated with bliss

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
I've got a pair and so far I've had the LED and battery unit come out when they've taken a bash, but a bit of super glue sorted that out. The main problem for me is that the clips snag on the bags. I've tried fittin them to my balchain but it's impossible to get the chain completely clean so you end up with all smudges on the balls, which doesn't look too cool. I'm not too keen on the strings either. I find it really hard to do straight arm stuff like pirouettes with them. Because they're so light i find I have to go really fast and then I lose control. But for all I've said I do like them, they look cool and they weren't that expensive.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i bought some poi poi glowbalz..........my oppinion is they are cheap tacky poo

i have found one good use for them.....put them in some socks

AnApplenewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Mine were my first ever set of poi.... 3-beat-to-the-crotch move is exceedingly painfull with them.

- My handles are freying, but haven't broken yet.
- The LED / batery tube in the middle stated coming out, but superglue sorted it.
- The split rings joining the swivel and snap link on the top of one bent open (poi went flying... grrrr). Removing the rings and connecting the snap links directly to the swivels got around that.
- The snap links on the bottoms are smaller and weaker than on the handles. 1 of them bent open when my friend was spinning fast. grrr.
- The bags started splitting along the sides. I sewed them back up.
- They cant be used when turned off otherwise the batery screw falls out and you loose the bateries.
- The thread on the batery screws are hopeless, they sometimes turn too far and go loose again.
- The LEDs turn off when I hit myself.
- The batery contacts are a little flat, so I lifted them with a small screwdriver.
- One of mine had a leaky batery when I got it.

The list goes on lol.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
the lesson here: PoiPoi = bad

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive got two pairs of these poi, im on my second pair.

I gotthe first pair from firetoys.co.uk and they where fine and lasted 4 months of some violent spinning (or should I say bashing lol)

The second ones I got where from poipoi and they arrived broken (dim glow barely noticable through the bag eek) but I got a replacment pair which work great.

In my experiance Ide say if you get a good pair then they will be very good, if you get a bad pair they will be very bad. Ide buy them again in the future, just not from poipoi. Ide go for someone like https://www.firetoys.co.uk/
I got my better pair from that shop

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I've has a set of Cobras and a set of Globallz from poipoi and both sets broke in less than a month. Personally I'm gonna look for better quality stuff when my current set of led poi break... or I'll just build myself another set.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Page: