Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have noticed that lately there seems to be an abundance of duplicate threads popping up, due to the fact that people dont bother to do a search or dont refine the search enough to find the threads.

There was a thread that was started the other day that had 5 duplicate threads. I mean thats really a waste of time and resources on the board.

Please guys take the time to do a search, its incredibly frusterating for the people who have been here for a while to see the same threads pop up all the time, and very confronting for a newbie to be told to do a search. hug hug hug

Thanks!! Youse rock

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Never play animal, vegetable or mineral with zoologists, botanists or geologists.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hi pele.

okay that wasn't much of a flaming wink
but you weren't exactly just replying to my posts either!
you said stuff like "A few months ago I was getting PM's and emails telling me to die" which had absolutely nothing to do with anything other than the fact that you had perceived an insinuation in my words and gone hell for leather in defending yourself.

the things you said to do with our discussion here were:

Written by: pele

1. However, and I hate to say this because it is a good idea, if people are going to look at a list of thread topics, see that there are already 3 in exsistence about a topic and still proceed to post another thread on it do you really think they are going to check a sticky thread about common searches?
I don't.
Not when we have it in the rules when you sign up to search, and the first post is a repeat that someone puts up.
Not when people are still not putting accurate titles up.
Not when people are still posting things in the completely wrong forum and they know it! (then saying.."Oh, a mod will fix it so I don't care")
Not when there actually are FAQ's and articles available and people will still not read them, or worse, read them and not learn a darn thing so they will ask a question clearly answered in the aforementioned.
Sorry to be the pessimist here, because it is a great idea, but I simply don't see it working.

2. I am telling you what I have noticed over the past several years of working here...newbies will continue to ask, not just out of naivete and curiousity but to create their own identity here and to have their own posts. Trust me, we get 1001 reasons for it when we pm them. It's just the way it goes. The search function was put up years ago to solve this same issue, and we see how often that works, even without it being difficult.

it seems to me that you think we are trying to solve the problem of newbies posting threads on really common topics.
we're not.

we are saying that having a collection of links to good existing threads that are commonly asked about, would:

1. make it a lot easier for the established members to redirect people who post duplicate threads (see durbs' point #4 - we have to search out and links *every time* we address this problem. with common thread articles we would only need to provide one link direct to the article)
2. reduce the number of duplicate posts left on the board and thus reduce the number of useless threads in search results (see the bit after the comma in durbs' point #2)

i.e. make everyone's jobs easier when providing a useful link to a newbie and at the same time, by making duplicate thread deletions more common, not allowing the search results on common topics to become any more cuttered than they already are.

to be honest though, i'm tired trying to explain this now.

if this has all been in vain, i'm happy to just click that button instead from now on - i know where stuff i want to find is already so it makes no difference to me shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
It makes a difference to me! And a million other people! I HATE having to trawl through stuff, and I'm familiar with it all! I can't imagine how hard it is for newbies and those who can't spend as much time online!

grrrrrrrr!

That thread in Poi moves has made a PHENOMENAL difference to me.

Why/how can that EVER be seen as a bad thing?

*infuriated and thoroughly confused fairy*

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh bugger.

I started this thread cause I was almost grinding my teeth to a fine dust from frusteration, but never intended that it would go to the crapper as it did.

Flid- I found your post funny and ironic.
I did however "do a search" and thought that the post was over two years old, and although the same topic, didnt offer any information that would help. I also noticed that on that old thread you also told the poster to search an even earlier search thread and giggled at you. So i used my judgement as I had noticed the duplicate threads were becoming problematic as of late. shrug sorry my bad.

I wanna say that this was never started as a dig at the mods, it was just borne out of my frusteration.

and yes perhaps I should have put this is the discussion part of the board, but I never thought it would get so fired up.

and that, forrest, is all I have to say about that. shrug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I don't have time to read everything in this post (busy life outside of HOP), however I would just like to thank coleman especially for coming up with a constructive way to solve some of our problems. Whether the idea is viable or not is another issue, and one I don't have time to give worthy consideration just at the moment.

Pele has already defended the mods in regards to what we do behind the scenes. Thanks sista.

I see two solutions to the current problems.... I think perhaps we should create a sticky thread in each forum that members can link REDUNDANT threads to, so we can delete them entirely, thus progressively reducing their appearance in searches. There are many threads out there that were created prior to our ability to lock/delete that contain no valuable information and SHOULD be deleted, however without the help of our wonderful community, we won't be able to find them all.

HOP needs a spring clean.

At least that way we can still refer new members to the search function, and know that they're gonna find GOLD, rather than 1250 threads of crap.

I also think that admin should consider applying a thread merging capability to the boards - I've seen it used on other forums quite effectively.

Thanks again Valura, FNF, NYC, Coleman & Polarity for your valuable contributions to this thread.

flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i was gunna post what i thought would be useful suggestions but i think they've all been made save perhaps one

IF you find a good post in a search perhaps we (ie everyone) should not only link it but bump it as well - this is mainly for the "poi moves" and similar forums and if you have time bump with as many relavent words as you can.

ie use key words like "help" and "tips" as well :P i find when i want to narrow a search for a specific move those are my first two words biggrin

for example - when i started out (not that long ago) i wanted some info on the buzzsaw - i searched yee gods did i search and i couldnt find a single link with basic moves and information - mainly because the first x pages were "ive just learnt buzzsaw" if people had bumped a realted thread with key words life would have been easier

anyway ill shut up now becuase i probably shouldnt post when this tierd ubbrollsmile

back

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
OMG! Iv been here for years and iv only JUST seen that lil "mod" button! censored

Sry if this come accross bad, but last time i tried to notify a mod about dupe "music and spining" thread, i sent a link to a mod and got a reply asking what to do, as they couldnt see anything wrong. And that thread is still open in "poi moves" shrug it make me feel like its pointless to notify mod's about problems.

There are quite afew little problems on the board that would be nice to fix but iv been to scared to even ask. Ie my video thread title had been deleted, and now I cant change titles.

And while on the subject of dupe threads... I started [Old link] thread before the names were really defined. Then afew other threads with the same name poped up...the moves are totally different though. Example is [Old link].

Now i dont want to start another debate about names as it ruins a thread. But would it be possible for a mod to change my thread name to "shadow poi" plz. It will save confusion and stop people getting off topic and debating names when some people just want to talk about moves. ubbangel ty

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
perhaps in the staff and poi forums there could be a rating system where by at the bottem of the thread you can rate how good a thread is (with a max of one rating per person per thread) with regards to different topics so the search results could be sorted by rating.

more newer articles would also be good, i stopped writing descriptions ages ago because its really time consuming and just gets lost to the deep dark recesses of the boards

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
also maybe with things that are newbie questions which can easily be picked up frm the title eg theres a new one in the staff forums "glow staffs?" which has been asked many times before, when the post is made running a search of ranked topics and displaying them with a "is your questions answered here" link "if not click continue to submit your topic to the board"

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: polarity

<< Likes you too. I like not being the only person who writes huge posts. I'm always going of into some crazy incoherent, free associating, half OT ramble. Not that you do that. smile

Who me? I'm innocent and to the point! ubbangel rolleyes

Written by:

Would it be OK if I reorganised the FAQ a little, maybe sorted it into categories, and added some things on better searching? I don't want all my posts in this thread to seem like an endless stream of bitching, but it is a bit, um, flat.

Have at. Have fun and since I am not sure if anyone can make a thread sticky, since I only see the bb through the eyes of a mod, let me know if you need anything. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Page: