ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Hey i just watched meet the fockers and I had no idea that babys had a whole sign language that you can teach them so they can communicate before they can verbalise!!

like wow.Its blowing my mind

do you think that if we taught lil bub to sign he would be less inclined to actually speak and just sign even though he COULD speak?

and do you think he would get really frusterated if he was signing to someone that doesnt understand and not recieving the desired outcome?

wow.

what do you reckon? does anyone know a lil baby that does sign?
smile smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
ubblol ....and you're bacing this off "meet the fockers" hehehehe

You're adorabubble chicken! ubblove

cool concept though... I think bubba would still speak if he heard talking round him

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Meet the Fockers = Fiction ubbangel

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
ummm....although the movie is fact it has been proven that the first two years of language acquisition will determine the child's language preference.

So if you speak mostly sign language to the child then they will in fact use that over english (mind you this sort of thing was mostly experimented on with hearing children of deaf parents).

I did a huge assignment on language acquisition in deaf and hearing children in my sign language classes...quite interesting stuff.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: DoktorSkell

Meet the Fockers = Fiction ubbangel

great work matey!! rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes yet the baby signing is actually quite real.

check it out

and here too

another site

thanks medusa that was the type of input I was looking for...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Valura, it does work. I did it with Noah...but it is paramount that you *have* to verbalize the words as you sign them. And when they sign them to you, you have to ask them in return to reiterate words use.

For example:
Baby signs hungry
Mom says "You're hungry?" while signing it and waits for the baby to answer. When the baby is old enough to verbalize, wait for a vocal answer.
It is really important to do this.
Though Noah was saying "Hi" at 6 months, and he hasn't stopped since! ubblol

Same goes for any language. Speak them both and the child will have a rudimentary understanding of it.
However, you also *have* to keep it up, or else, like everyone else, the child will lose it.
Because of this Noah knows a touch of french, a bit of Japanese and some spanish as well as some sign.

Hope this helps and my best to you lovely!
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Thats awesome! biggrin

I reckon bubba would speak *and* use sign together to communicate if bubba had both influences around him... In the way that children with perents of two differnt language speaking cultures often use a mixture of the two languages... thus making no scence at all unless you know both languages.... hehehe

though if no one ever spoke to him other than by sign, he pobablly would only use sign...

hmmmm wow very interesting indeed

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
wow, i thought it was just a meet the fockers joke. that's so cool! i learnt a bit of sign language a few years ago, and the woman that taught me said to always say it too, even if the person's deaf. i think that bubs will have normal development speech wise, if not a better understanding of language. good on you, i hope it all goes well biggrin