Forums > Help! > problems with received message icon

Login/Join to Participate

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
you know the little letter that appears up on top left to show you have new PMs?

sometimes(i.e. lots of the time) it doesn't appear, and then i go to my home and i've got three or four, cause i haven't checked cause no letter has showed up.

if i move the mouse over the area then it shows as a link and i can get through, but the icon baint be there.

heeeeeeeeeelp!

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
mmm...interesting. What browser are you using? If you're on windows using either Firefox or IE try Ctrl + F5 when you have the problem.

I would guess it's a cache problem, but it could be a problem with animated gifs - can you see any animated avatars?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I get that too sometimes Bluecat. It works for a bit then stops. I also still have the problem of if I go into a thread that has over 2000 posts in it when I come out the thing stops marking that I've read posts. Not a huge problem but it is a bit odd. Hence I rarely go into the larger threads.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yup to the avatars, and on mozilla. surely i shouldn't have to press ctrlf5 all the time? aargh. what is a cache problem?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
When you go to a web site all the images on the page are downloaded in to a cache on your computer. When you go back again it'll load the image from your computer not the internet. This is to spead up page loading and reduce the bandwidth used. It might be that your local copy on the image has been corrupted somehow so the ctrl + F5 will force the browser to go to the remote copy of the image (or the PM icon). You could try clearing the cache (Tools > Options Privacy on firefox) and seeing how long it takes for the problem to some back again.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
rob, i think this is like a problem the boards had when they where updated, i have noticed this problem somtimes in fire fox myslef

i think it might be an error in the coding of hop

remeber when you where getting lots of little *you have a pm sign* at the top but no pms, i think this is the reverse, so i think its the board

Step (el-nombrie)

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
perhaps the bored is bored!?

i'd tend to agree with mech on this one...
probably a code problem somewhere!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I doubt it very much, seeing as you have the link there and it works for some people. UBB.threads isn't known for it's amazing code but I wouldn't have thought problems like that would happen.

Just to find out, Rob; can you send me the code of the page next time you get the problem? View > Page Source > Select all and PM it to me (or you might need to email me with it). That way I'll be able to tell what the problem is.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I had this too.

then I PMed Dom asking him to fix it up ship shape.

About a week later, everything worked perfectly.

He said he hadnt done anything though umm

Its still working fine now.

maybe the board is alive?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Typically... it has just dissappeared. rolleyes

Could it be that if you dont look at your Pms for a while, it stops displaying the picture?

Im using firefox too.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Do you do multi window surfing? Tabbed browsing?
Browsers tend to stop animated GIFs when a link is clicked on a page. So if you've opened another tab the page has stopped animated the envelope. Half the time it'll stop when it's off. To try to stop this I've changed the image so there's only a 33% chance it'll disappear.

Also it was stopping after 16 minutes on the same open page, but not many people read the same thread for 17 minutes, do they?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dom you are a star! hug My lil envelope now stays there un-flashing but its there YAY! Thats so much better than before. Thank you for your Geeky goodness! hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I've never had a problem with this, but I'm different from you all wink

But i seem have other problems though hmmm umm

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian