Forums > Social Chat > Dreadlocks, Second Thoughts

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
For a while, ive wanted ot get dreadies, and i have planend to ahve them done on sunday, but last night, after i had my hair done for my school ball/formal/prom (whatever you want to call it) i started having second thoughts.
Maybe it was because my hair has never looked that good before, and it was all rpetty and definately not its usual, unruly, annoying self.
I want dreads...but i dont and i ahve no idea what to do.
Mum has offered top fork out $250 to order me some fake, synthetic dread falls from the internet if i dont want real ones.

I am COMPLETELY lost.
Can anyone tell me the ups and down of having dreads?
Can anyone tell me if they ahve synthetic dreads and waht they're like?

....help

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I was sitting on the train today, in the view of a girl, about 13, who was rather intrigued with my appearance.

The girl turned to her mother who was facing the other way and couldnt see me and said "Mum can I get dreadlocks and a lip piercing" to which she replied "Goodness gracious no! People who do those sort of things to their body are freaks"

Train got to my stop and I walked past the woman and purposly turned to face her and gave her a big smile.

I love watching people squirm ubblol

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
Haha! Good one Aimee!

I dont think dreads are a big thing here in SA, or not that I have seen. I love to make a statement with my appearence. The funniest though was when I dyed my hair blue black... just a simple colour change and everyone thought I had gone gothic and started thinking I was possesed with demons. Obviously most people here are dumb and stereotypical...

I'm thinking of putting red and white streaks in my hair, something that will be different. Its always better to be different and make all the old grannies faint, hehe!

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol quality OWNED moment ubblol

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
well, decided on not getting the dreads for now. every morning at the breakfast table I found myself getting attacked for my wanting them. I don't want to deal with [censored] from my family on a constant basis so I'll probably just do it when I move out. they would also interfere with my work since I really shouldn't stand out while attempting to catch shoplifters...well, I'm moving out in a few months so we shall see then, I'll let everyone know.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
mine are a pain in the arse at times as they won't knot back up at the roots without contant attention, also, they keep getting snagged on things. like tree branches lol so i dreadball the lose bits and snip them off - a bit like pulling lint balls of fleecy blankets but with scissors!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

7,193 posts

Posted:
tink, i've found that dreads only form after about an inch or two from the root. get some beads that fit and they will keep the roots tight hug

oh.......and avoid low laying branches wink

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
another way to do it is pull the whole dread through itself at the root, everytime you pull it through make sure it goes a different direction. shouldnt snip off your hair man it all adds to the dread!!! :o

i get snagged on things alot too. can be a pain. zips are pretty nasty things....!!

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
i wandered about that burningoftheclavey, also if a dreads getting too long could it be woven back on itself??

926 posts

Posted:
yeah thats how i keep my tips neat. have you got a crochet needle? just pull it through and then keep pulling it back through going up the dread from the tip. but i think it would probably be only useful for the tips say 3-4cms at most. can try it though wink only thing is with my tips some of them fall back out again but looks great when you fix them! smile

but a)longer dreads look well cool and b) you can cut them too.. ubbrollsmile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
i have a crochet needle and use it to knot up the tips back into the dread, i know what you mean about them working themselves loose though wink

the only reason i want to know if i can re-size the dread is because i want some phatty big dread ubblol

926 posts

Posted:
ubblol yeah but would it not just make the tips really phatty??! the only thing i dislike about my dreads are the short and curlies at the root that just make them look that bit more messy.... mad ubblol rolleyes

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
i was meaning halfing the dreads size by weaving it back in on itself thus making it fatter wink

926 posts

Posted:
heh...ehhhhh good luck with that mate let me know how it goes! tongue

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol my dreads are only 6 months old and 10 inches long so you'll be waiting a long time wink

926 posts

Posted:
i have plenty time tongue you should put them in before they settle more? perhaps? dont quote me on that though....

Owned by Brenn smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
so they'd look like turds, Al??? short n fat? Sh*tlocks?? lmao ubblol hug hate root regrowth too grrrrr lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
sh*tlocks! ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol well they don't look half as nasty as some of the hair tumours i've seen at fre partys wink

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:
i have dreads and don't have anything bad to say about them. if you are unsure, i may suggest the synthetic ones to see if you like the way you look (even though i personally think they are ridiculous). they are low maintenance. i just wash, dry and go. washing your dreads makes them lock up faster, but make sure they are totally dry so you don't have mildew. it's really a personal decision.

7,193 posts

Posted:
all very true katooo, nobody likes stinky dreads ubblol

TwerpyBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
I've had my dreads for about 5 weeks now and my feelings about them vary. Sometimes I love them, other times I don't. The main problem I have with them is how long they take to dry after washing/swimming/etc. Its mostly the tips and roots which are the problem because they're still in bands. Hopefully they'll dry faster once the bands are gone.

I had mine done by a couple of friends (one of whom was already dreaded). I used the backcomb, wax and roll method so they looked pretty good fairly quickly but be warned, it hurts like a biatch. I was warned it would hurt but I didn't realise how much.

I've found them to be fairly high maintenance because to stop mine going all fluffy I was to wax and roll them a fair bit. It probably didn't help that before I just washed my hair, towel dried it then tied it back and let it dry naturally. No styling, or anything. I find they start to smell a bit if I don't wash them for a few days. At the moment because they're quite new I'm washing them every week or so. Once they tighten up I'll probably wash them more often. I use dread shampoo to wash them rather than sea water.

I'm definity going to keep them in for now. I'm going to uni in a couple of weeks so hopefully they'll help make me some friends and if I decide I don't like them after all I'm going to try and brush them out using the uber-strength conditioner thats made for the purpose.

Just reread this message and it seems I've written something of an essay. My apologies.

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
hey congrats on the new dreadies. They're still babies so wait it out till the lock up to decide.

They sound great, but get rid of the wax! Most dreadheads know that wax just hinders the dreading process. It just sticks the hair together like glue, so how is it supposed to dread? You'll find that without wax they will dread up much faster. I'm glad you're using a shampoo for dreadlocks, NOT seawater! you can't clean dreads with sea water hun. it is good for drying them out so they tighten though. All you need is residue free shampoo. I use Dr. Bronners which is cheap as chips. Stay away from those expensive dreadlock shampoos, they'll rip you off!!!!!

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

TwerpyBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
You're right about the wax actually. I haven't had a chance to wax 'em up lately and they do look tighter than before. I think I'm only going to use wax now if I need them to look good quickly.

Page: