Forums > Help! > Anyone have any good quality spinning photos?

Login/Join to Participate

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Over the weekend a photographer and I met up and took some photos of me spinning fire - see my gallery for some and let me know what you think. I just realised that I look kinda small in them - hard to believe I'm just a little shorter that Pink...?

Anyway, that was our first session together, and we're looking at ways of making them better (from a photographer's point of view). One thing he mentioned is other pictures to compare to. we've had a look via the galleries, but we're wondering if anyone's got any good quality photos where a lot of effort went into the production of the picture, as opposed to just taking 'snaps' with a small camera. Anyone got anything?

Rave

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I've got some pics in my gallery from many different photographers. The trick is to have a long shutter with a delayed flash. This allows the tails, and the flash freezes the performer. Some of my pics work well because we use so much fire, the fire light illuminates the performer.

Try some more dynamic shots, have the camera come closer, we don't need to see the whole body every time. That way height isn't a factor. smile

Good luck

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Here are some tips I have for taking some really good shots:

- Have it as dark out as possible with any background as far away as possible (ie, big open field at midnight on a cloudy day).

- Use extended exposure but dont make it too long... 2 - 4 seconds is usually perfect.

- Use a flash to capture the spinner nicely.

- Use a tripod to eliminate blurry shots when using extended exposure.

- Dont just spin as usual while taking shots, have certain patterns and poses in mind that you want to capture. This also helps in determining how long to set the exposure (set it just long enough to capture the pattern).

- Use multiple angles and distances.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks both of you. But does anyone have any examples of good quality photos? Surely someone out there has put in the effort to take pictures worthy of displaying on the mantlepiece? At work it's been suggested we print one out and put it up. It would be nice to have something to compare to - see how we can capture the art better, try different things. Experiment.

Just like with poi!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Let us know if you want us to send you high rez copies of pics in our galleries. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Heya,

There are good quality pics all over the place! Have a look at the webring for example - most performers have great photos on their websites.

Here's one of my favourite (albeit under-rated) pics of me. https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/87flash_double_crosses.jpg

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Sure, Cody - that would be great.

Nice one flash fire! That one looks amazing. You've certainly got an interesting variety of photos!

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
check out my gallery. i got plenty more. lemme know if you need any in better quality. we could transfer over msn....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hi

there are a few FAQ's on hop and poiinthepark, articles about how to get the best out a camera

but for me, its all down to luck

i shoot maybe 20 shots of a single preformer in one position, so i night be kneeing with an upwards angle, and take a series of shots in that position, and then only use 2 of them

i take a lot of pictures i would normally not use...

its mostly donw to the photographer to knwo what he/she is doing

once you have gotten throught about 200 shots with fire, of glow gear, you will start to understand timing and exposure more and more, and then start to really grab loads of cool shots out of the air

most of my best work is being used by people either in their gallerys or as promo shots, so i can really go and get you any

delayed (or rear syc flashes) are indeed good, means you do get clean, nice trails, and then a clean image of the performer, but sometimes its nice to have that blur effect of arms,or stick, it add something to teh shot at times, like the movment of a head, will leave a ghost head and trail in teh image....

i think codys point about dynamic shots is a very good point

many people assume yoru best shots will come from a straight on shot, or a close up

not always true, some diagonal shots can come out amazing, others using a series of zooms during exposure like myslef and knosti (who gave me the idea use) can make lights appear to spiral or move into teh forground of the shot, making trails move towards teh lens

photos of just your body, will have fire trails in the, so if you zoom to the tourso and shoot there, you will get hand movements and trails those can be nice

really you need to have a few sessions with a coupel fo other spinners and really let the photographer run riots and take a million shots and then start to figure out what type of moves you think look best

if you wnat to stage moves, taht can be cool to
like reels loo awsome

but a full extended reel looks cool to... but they are different time lengths to complete the full move, so you have to understand about expposures against movment time

its no point having a 1 second exposure, if you wnat to capture a move that takes 2 seconds to complete, you will only get have a move, and vise verse

does any of this make sence?

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
use a tripod if you can - loads of great photos of fire performers could be 10 times better with that little bit of camera shake removed imo.
a tripod will make a difference to both the definition of the fire and the clarity with which the performer is captured.

look at yuta's gallery.
look at robyn's gallery.
look at devkev's gallery.
look at strugz'z'z'z gallery.

use a digital camera so you can see the results straight away.

and if you want the really good shots, be prepared to do the same move over and over again until you and the photographer both get it exactly right at the same time (this can take a looooooong time!).

mech's point about understanding how long the pattern takes to complete is really important i think.
beware of any shutter delay on your digital camera here.

and don't forget to show us your results smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
how has no one mentioned the pic of HelsBels - her avatar and in her gallery! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I've go some decent ones in my gallery taken by a friend of mine

and loads more, i'd be happy to send them on.

that pic of hells is one of the best fire photos i've ever seen

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
personally i find a tripod, very restictive, but thats my personal style

they are great, but i just dont hugly like them, the picture feels alittle more organic if you like?!

thanks vixen and ado

it is one of my fav pics, and i took it smile

Step (el-nombrie)

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Now this convo is getting underway!

There's a lot of useful stuff here and some links to what some authories on this subject reckon are good quality pics...

..I'll show this thread to my photographer, and we'll work on something. I also need to have a look when I've more time.

But in the meantime, here's how we did those mid-April photos. Feel free to comment.

They were taken with a tripod, one of those umbrella light things to my left, and a flash thing to my right (there were probs getting the flash on the camera to work properly). I spun certain moves and allowed them to be captured (small tube wick photos). All uploaded onto a laptop and we had a look at them.

At some stage we used strobes, hence the takeout photo without trails (best caption I've heard of so far: "hair today, gone tomorrow"!) and I used the HoP mega cathredrals for bigger flames.

We did this about 4 or 5 times in my garden over about 2 and half hours and steaming mugs of hot chox. I've got about half a CD of all the photos. So I know what you mean mech about taking loads of photos and using only a few of them!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i think you should go back to basic imho.

you should get your photographer to ditch the tripod, the flash guns, lighting rigs, and just rely on his abitities with the camera, not with his kit

ill upload some pics i have taken and show you what i mean

so all of these where taken, without a tripod, some by my girl frind, some by me

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

i knwo these are incredibly small, and not all are fire shots, but it shows some of teh effects you can get from not tripodding a camera

its very easy to have a tripod, and take stright on shots with precision, i do use a tripod for some shots and effects, but i use it rarly and sparingly

*edit one shot taken by pounce as well*

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
okay then, i reckon mech disagrees with my tripod advice ubblol

maybe i just can't hold my camera still wink

i still wish i had used a tripod for this shot though.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thats a very nice shot cole

and i dont disagree with your tripod advice...

i do use a tripod, but i have grown more acustome to not using one....

i dont think that having a tripod would have cleaned up that image anymore of sim, seems to be a combo of sim moving and the bad lighting levels, that have caused the pixel effect

black and fire is difficult to shoot with exposures, try adjusting teh white balance of your camera next time?

Step (el-nombrie)

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hiya! nice piccies people!! clap

also - check out ry's gallery!! he's got heaps of kewl photos on there too!! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cheers mech - i think you're bang on there; adjusting wb would have definitely helped that photo loads.
mind you, that was the first time i had ever used my camera to take fire photos so i had loads to think about already!

there was quite a bit of wobble from me in it too i reckon - unless those stones on the beach were actually moving ... umm wink

using a tripod, manual white balance, flash strength and exposure bracketing are next on my 'what happens if i do this' list smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cole, work on just WB and exposure levels atm

your fire will give off differnet levels of light at higher levels of WB, so you will effectivly, from the fire, be getting a flash effect

and exposure times are what you should play with the most i think

go break you camera in wink

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im just setting up my devart account again, hopfully by tonight ill have some pics up in there....

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i think i've lost my camera frown

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i lilke that tripods keep the backround etc in focus.

we'd never have gotten those new york shots without one.

i bought a pretty pricey tiny weeny one thats absolutly huge!!! fully extended but can also take shots six inches of the ground. i love it.

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hey guys

just set up my deviantart.com gallery area

Mechs Devisant Art work

go have a look at teh pics smile hug

Step (el-nombrie)

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I like the fire poi 02 one - Just got me thinking about about making a cone shaped spiral or something? Bit like what you've got, but big circles at one end and a short distance later much smaller. Think that would look cool?

Wire wool is also amazing.