Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Anyone done anything fundametally 'New' in the last 6 months or so?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Haven't really been spinning pio that much in the last 6 months, and i haven't been following this forum much. (I've spent my time learning 2 diablo which is fially coming together, linking a few nice suns together, suicide, just getting forwards fan, spinklers coming on and nailed the vortex a few times)

Anyhoo, i was just wondering if i'd missed out on any fundamentally new stuff. The last thing that i remember being fundamentally new to me was all the inside, inverted, variations of butterflies and weaves. COs it opened up possibilities i'd never explored. But that was about a year ago i think.

I'm guessing a certain group of bristol folk have been advancing in the direction of >>> plane changing tangles // propellors // contact // mind games?

Really just looking for something that i can get my teeth into. Get back into me poi.

laters

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hey Matt
What you need is Ball Contact juggling smile
I think it will suit you very nicely
and lots of new stuff to explore
Drew

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
There's this thing called "dancing with poi". True to American standards, I was thinking about slapping a name on this grand invention as well as a copyright. Royalties anyone?

ubbloco

On a more serious note, various link catches, tangles including wraps, etc...

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cassandra and Shibaki invented dancing. Back in CoL 2 or something.

There's been a subversive push in the hybrid glowstick/poi direction which would encompass mindgames and contacty stuff. Though apparantly it's forbidden in the Patriot Act to confuse the two so be careful. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Drew I remember you saying to me once that you had 'done' poi ~ i now understand what you mean smile

It's not that i don't feel there's loads more to explore it's just that i'm content with the ammount i know and understand.

My main focus over winter has been tangles. Can spin loops for ages now, do turns and a few natty tricks. Then of course i've been wibbling. Can keep 1 poi wibbling in each hand, pretty tricky stuff but has the most beautiful rhythm to it. Been using it as a base to do other throw patterns from and looks lush.

But 2 diablo is totally doing it for me at the moment, it's such a head feck smile Correcting them as they go out of line with each other is completly bonkers to get your head round, then getting to a point where you can attempt any tricks takes a while. BUt i've got my correction pretty solid, i can get tehm up to speed and true to each other very quickly now. And the tricks are starting to fall into place.

Anywho, gotta love the glostringers for introducing us all to mindgames, they totally rock.

So is that all the progess you guys can muster up in the past 6 months, i might have to go buy some glosticks ubblol

m

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

So is that all the progess you guys can muster up in the past 6 months, i might have to go buy some glosticks ubblol

m

OK, then we'll check back and see what you've got in 6 months. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
We all know how poi is "done" once you understand how it works rolleyes

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
How does it work? wink

you make circles, more circles, clean circles, and then you learn how to create boxes? biggrin

I think we still have quite a ways to go before we truly understand poi. Afterall, if we truly understood poi then every move would have a meaning behind it.

Damn, haven't the maoris already managed that? meh.

ubblol

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nuh. wink

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
"There's been a subversive push in the hybrid glowstick/poi direction which would encompass mindgames and contacty stuff. Though apparantly it's forbidden in the Patriot Act to confuse the two so be careful."

look, i know it's a joke, but sometimes it doesn't feel that way.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
learn to spin the 3 and five weave forward behind your back and learn wristwraps behind your back. 5 weave reverse BTB. TTN behind teh back is cool. I have been doing a bunch of trick like reg butterfly, full recoil wrap to rt. poi throw under left arm, catch, to a tick tock wrap, then throw the left poi under rt arm. try to do the weave and throw the poi from under the opposite arm and catch it back into the weave and do it with the left arm.
Upsidedown butterfly TTN throw teh poi under each arm in succesion.
Butterfly magic trick- throw the handles of the poi to the opposite hand and it switches direction, poi retain speed and momentum.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
all great stuff infinite but nothing i don't do already i'm afraid, i'm looking for something really fresh. My btb butterfly weave still isn't solid tho.

I've got a lot of work to do on butterfly tangles but i'm looking for something totally new to inspire me to get back into poi.

Certainly the inside stuff is really cool and i haven't explored it that much, had a little play with 3bt inverted butterflies today so maybe i should concentrate on these.

I dunno tho, i think there's probably something out there that'll take my fancy.

Getting some great 2 diablo stuff down at the moment tho. Totally into doing sun combos, trying to replicate poi patterns with 2 diablo is a lot of fun. Most things seem to translate well. There is a move called the S-Fan which acts very much like constant poi tangles. I've got the C-fan backwards pretty well but need to learn how to get it into the S position. Then i should be able to turn with them pretty easy cos i can turn my poi tangles really well these days.

Big love to all the glostringers, i know there's a lot of crazy stuff you guys can teach me about. I still can't do crossers cos every time i think to practice them i hit myselfin the face, just like the good old days smile Then i stop and play tangles and wibbles ubblol

Any more thoughts?

¦m¦

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i made my poi dissapear a few months ago in cornwall... along with the mini bus the were sitting in... never done that before... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Fundamentally new? Nope, not me.
I never even got the whole inside & inverted business and advanced air wraps. A couple of nice folks tried to explain it all to me, but my eyes kinda glazed over. I tend to just bluff an answer to whatever technical question I've just been asked.

I'm still happily involved in spontaneous movement play.
Ignoring planes, videos, philosophies (although is ignoring philosophy a philosophy itself?), moves, etc...
Specifically this currently involves a lot of throws, releases, back of hand catches, inertia removal (point isolations) and direction changes with very little idea of what I just did and no idea of what I'm about to do.
And getting back to 'da old skool' with tail poi. Lush!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sounds a bit like "Dom Style" to me. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
hey matt..

I'm afraid I've moved off the high tech bandwagon for a bit.. I've been too swamped with schoolwrok to even work on my basics that I've just been peddling around in territories I left a bit unexplored.. In fact, I ahve to say a significant bit of my style has gone downhill because of it, and I'll have to spend the summer recooping.. I don't know what's hurt me most.. all the working out I've been doing (which has seriously killed my limberness) or the fact that I want my inversions and insides perfected. The former has made me realise how being scrawny is significant poi advantage.. the latter has made me realise how ignorant I was to the possibilities of movement.

to be honest though I only practice about 30 mintues a week now.. and I spend it mostly trying to clean up the btb cork enough to maybe get some inversions in it, or at least get it clean enough to help fix some of the btb insides.. (none of these are new, nor exciting, but are merely integral facets of a calabi-yau pattern I'm trying to finish) apart from that I do my reels and crossers (redundant office of redundancy there LOL)... yeah I guess the only interesting thing that I work on are the patterns of pass/release/catch/onehandedness.. mainly the one-handedness.. its nice to be able to execute your patterns with one or both hands.. plus all the switching/passing puts the poi in different hands often enough that you keep people confused as to what's where.. I did try to make some of my onehanded wrap combos a little more intricate by changing them from same time to various alternate timings.. maybe andy, owd, or kael can handle them.. but I simply don't have the time to explore their full potential..

I dunno though.. to be honest.. I've been trying to take things that are boring and mundane to watch and make them engaging... whihc seems to be slightly more challenging then building more patterns.. I've also been trying to open up my ability for movement, so I can dance more freely.. those inside to inside weaves help with that.. but I'm sure arashi's worked all those details out..

as far as finding something that makes me want to spin... Andy's koh tao vid.. nothing really technical in it.. but the grace and fluidness of the way he moves in it just makes me want to pick up my poi and dance.. To hell with moves.. I'm having the most fun just moving with my poi, just seeing what I can get away with without falling out of time.. lol..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Cassandra and Shibaki invented dancing. Back in CoL 2 or something.

Hang on here...

u mean you ca play with all these toyz... without dancing?

or am i seriously missing something here!

i dont really know of any other way to play with pretty much any of the toyz i use (even juggling balls)... To me it's all about movement!? Your WHOLE body... rhytm... music... beat... dance!

is there really any point to just standing there spinning/twirling/waving your toyz?

or am i seriously missing sumthing here...?

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: Shu

or am i seriously missing sumthing here...?

confused being completly technical confused wink

crazycarlSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

as far as finding something that makes me want to spin... Andy's koh tao vid.. nothing really technical in it.. but the grace and fluidness of the way he moves in it just makes me want to pick up my poi and dance..

Any chance anyone might direct me to this Video?? Or any other good vids? One can only learn so much from words...

A bird can fly, but a fly cant bird...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
rev said:

"I dunno though.. to be honest.. I've been trying to take things that are boring and mundane to watch and make them engaging... whihc seems to be slightly more challenging then building more patterns.."

yeah man, thats the kick. wink

t wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Any chance anyone might direct me to this Video?? Or any other good vids?

You can get it HERE biggrin

Written by:

"I dunno though.. to be honest.. I've been trying to take things that are boring and mundane to watch and make them engaging... whihc seems to be slightly more challenging then building more patterns.."

Agree to 100% Most of the time you see spinners who do very comlicated patterns which are difficult to differentiate from heisenbergs..... go basic is the theme! I have hardly ever seen a nice 2 beat weave for example....

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: PoiBoxII

...go basic is the theme! I have hardly ever seen a nice 2 beat weave for example....

lol

you should watch me... I do not focus on how many different moves & combinations i can do, hey if i learn a new one 1ce in a while, the bonus... but i focus on the few that i do know, drill them to death, and then work on using them in a dance routine. Basically my focus is on a combining the poi (or other toyz) movement with body movement! It's amazing how awsome the simplest moves can look with different body movements...

hahahahaha...
just had an idea... i should do a routine to Marilyn Manson's I Put A Spell On You, not the kind of music i normally listen to (let alone dance to), but i'm sure i could freak some poor sod out!

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: PoiBoxII

Agree to 100% Most of the time you see spinners who do very comlicated patterns which are difficult to differentiate from heisenbergs..... go basic is the theme! I have hardly ever seen a nice 2 beat weave for example....

Technical poi is useful as a way of increasing your range of options in flowing from one position to another, not as and end in itself to me. There's lots of technical stuff I could spend ages learning that I don't see enough use in - it won't make my spinning more fun or prettier smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
well i dont know if this is compleatlly new but for me it opens some new posibillitys. mayby it could bring u back too the fantastic world of poi.

i have been trying out all that has come to my mind when doing 4 poi (two onehanden butterflys) and the most resent "trick" are the throws. if the poi are llinkt u could throw the complete butterfly if they arent u could throw one singel poi and letting it fall back into its original palce in the pattern. this could (with alot off work) lead into juggling, pirouetts and all sort off realy wierd stuff.

smile

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
hey matt

did you ever get the bodypoppin while spinning thing down? If not... why

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: dream

did you ever get the bodypoppin while spinning thing down? If not... why

What is bodypoppin!?

...sounds like fun!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Dream, I think that was the inspiration i'd been looking for. I'd completely forgotten about that popping workshop at bristol JC.

Need to find some good online tuition. We've just rented a new studio and painted the floor bright orange smile It's perfect for practicing liquid footwork.

For those who weren't at bristol last year a guy called Rosso gave us a wicked class on how to move waves around your body. From hand to hand, foot to foot, hand to foot and so on. It's something i've always been interested in but never had a chace to really explore.

It's also something I made an effort to incorporate into some of my poi styles, but never gave it enough attention. I think that's where my poi is gonna head from now on.

laters

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
sounds nice matt. Always thought that Poi and liquid would quite fit together. Although I dont want to know what would happen if Elsewhere would seriously practice Poi for some time wink

Looking forward to our next meeting, got some nice meteor stuff for you too smile

all the best

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Matt, I like the sound of your Orange floored studio,
and if you want Popping instructional's PM me,
I'll sort you out some stuff smile

I've been checking out a lot of original 80's bodypoppers, and nowdays I'm not so impressed with the liquid dancers or with Elsewhere, He's very good at physical movement, but from watching the clips in extended trails he sometimes utterly lacks any musicallity. and You'll a lot of the move that you love from him, you'll find done with style and musicality on old 80's popping clips.
Mr Wiggles and poppin pete etc smile

Me nowday's: I'm doing stuff thats fundamentally old
like 1920's partner charlston - its poi with a girl, and it works with hip hop

Whats your favorite simple move? smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
charlston is poi with a girl? confused

but okay;

if lindy-hop is contact juggling with a girl...

charleston is now poi with a girl...

what kind of dance are:

stick with a girl

toss juggling with a girl

diabolo with a girl

or do we have to wait till you choose your next dance style before its decided on...? wink

someone has mentioned trying to mix bodypopping with poi somewhere on hop before but i can't be bothered to go find it now redface

they specifically mentioned glides with windmills iirc smile

as for favorite simple move, for me (since this is poi moves and nyc will get me chucked for saying '423' wink), it has to be opposite direction reels ubbrollsmile

cole. x
EDITED_BY: coleman (1114613339)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

Whats your favorite simple move? smile

There are no moves.

And I do have some photos of you doing some "Contact Molly" at last summer's EJC.

eek

No, really.

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: