Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
soo...
i'm about to make a config for samurize (Samurize Homepage). hmm.. thats not the point.
but first i've to make a desktop picture. i'm thinking of mostly white and some light blue menus and some scanlines on so, but in the center i'm thinking of having a picture of me spinning fire.

this picture must be taken so that i can extract myself from the background, without losing the flames.
if i take the the picture in the middle of the day there will be no probs extracting me.
if i take the pic when its really dark i will have no probs extracting flames, but you wont be able to see me.

any suggestions? should i just try to take the picture in dusk so thats is dark, but not too dark? how long exposure? any ideas? confused confused

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
It's tricky to take fire out whilst looking nice at the best of times.

I would recemend taking the photo with a white background with you quite a long way from it. If you do it a dusk and add a flash you should come out fine whilst the background won't get lit up.

Exposure is something you should play with. I can't really advist you on it. I find that 1/25 ish gets nice pics, but you'll need a tripod to get it really nice.

After that, just get photoshop/gimp working on it.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Oooo, that's soo cute! You actually have to buy a product to make windows look like linux! ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
there are free ones, that i would recomend, but my computer froze in the middle of a theme change with it and ended up with me formatting the whole thing...

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
mcp: it's free? and you still have the windows supporting all nice programs (games and so that won't work well on linux)... but that's OffTopic....

spacecow00x: opps ^^ that doesn't sound too nice...

any of you know anything on photographing then?

it's you friend!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Hehe:

https://www.samurize.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=2621

All the looks of OS X with all the 'good features' of windows! Almost like having a really really bad Mac.

Anyway, Off topic etc.

As I said before, just try to get a blank background for it. green or blue might be good (like a field with blue sky) as fire doen't have those colours. You should be able to extract the fire nicley.

What more are you looking for? Maybe you could try playing with a few pics from the gallery and seeing what ones work best, then go and 'copy' it with you in it.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

What more are you looking for? Maybe you could try playing with a few pics from the gallery and seeing what ones work best, then go and 'copy' it with you in it.

you bet i will!

it's you friend!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I've just been trying on some of my fire pics, Black backgrounds are a pain to get out!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I'd be willing to help you out with some graphics work if you want. As for getting a shot with good flames and with a good shot of you, I'd say take it at night, down low (shooting up) in a field with a flash. If you can manage with your camera sync the flash to either the begining or the end of the picture, that will "freeze" you in the picture but since you're shooting up into a night sky it should stay relativly dark, and keep the long exposure for the nice trails.

As for taking the flames and the person out, I would probably make it a combo of a couple edits off the one basic picture, one alteration to cut out the flames easily, the other to pull out the person. But that all depends on the image you get out of the camera

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Lurch, how would you take out the flames? I tried a few things last night and the best one was photoshops extract tool. however when it was placed on a white background it still looked bad. I think for the white background daytime shots are the way forward.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
the best way, i think, to extract person+flames is to do it manually. first the "magic wand" and make a quickmask. then "paint" the flames and body. zoom is important to be able to get all the small parts. finish with blurring the edges a bit.
it'll take some time, but it will probably look quite good.

it's you friend!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
In photoshop there are about a billion ways to do anything so here is just a quick example of one way to do it. Since its easiest to do it off a hard solid background (in this case black), and I'm not worried about extracting my body I'm doing this off of one of my pics where you can't see me at all. It would be a little its just a quick 2 minute example of how it could be done.

Starting picture, the black is *almost* black, but not quite

Non-Https Image Link

A little bit of level tweaking to bring the drop most of the image to black. Note: This will alter your flames a little bit, it depends how much you're changing the image, for this is wasn't that much though.

Non-Https Image Link

Take the magical magic wand, I don't usually use this but quick and easy is quick and easy. I dropped the tolerance down to 10 to give me that little 'extra' around the flames, we'll take care of that next. Keep the flames and the white background on seperate layers.

Non-Https Image Link

Notice the jaggies around the flames, to get rid of that select the flames layer, feather the selection to about 2px (depends on the picture) invert the selection and delete it. Thats essentially taking the layer we have there and fuzzing out the 2 bordering pixels all the way around. It will help with the jaggies and help kill that black line around the flames. Don't get too carried away with the feathering though

Non-Https Image Link

You could call it good at the step above, or go in by hand with an eraser and carefully clean up the jaggies, and maybe throw in a dropshadow.

Non-Https Image Link

Like I said, thats just one way of many but I hope it helps a little bit as aat least a starting point to step off from. weavesmiley

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Nice one Lurch, very helpful!

It's a better option than the extract tool for complex pics as well, I was trying to work with a flower - so it had loads of black bits all over the place.