Forums > Social Discussion > Glowstringing, Fact or Fiction?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Just curious, how do you guys view glowstringing?

couple questions to focus/start off the discussion:

Is glowstringing and poi one and the same or different? If it's different then how do you define glowstringing and seperate the two?

Do glowstringers have a unique set of moves outside of traditional poi moves?

Should the difference in each tool/medium (glowstring vs sock poi vs fire poi) be emphasized? Or should all of them be spun the same way?

How do you define/develop style and originality in poi? Should the same principles of style and originality be applied to glowstringing? Or can glowstringing have their own principles and methodologies?

Are there differences in cultural background and philosophy between poi and glowstringing?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: mixinluv2u

OneWheelDave: i agree. just because moves are matched technically, cultural background, philosophy, vibe, presence will never be the same. from the looks of it here on HoP. Poi community is anything goes, as long as you are spinning poi, the rest doesn't really matter.

Glowsticking (freehand and glowstringing) has a specific culture behind the dance, has a set of philosophy and etiquette with it. and other than discussion of techniques and style on Glowsticking.com... spreading the importance of this culture, philosophy, etiquette is just as valued (if not more).

maybe that's the real reason for seperation.

The thing is that, even if you are wanting a specific philosophy, IMO you should be very wary of limiting what people are wanting to talk about and watch (not saying you are, but some here obviously do thing that you are).

Some time ago I was encouraged to link to my three-ball video on GS.com; I was very inspired by the response. There waa talk of whether some moves could be incorporated into a glow style (freehand?). But, my feeling was that the vid was appreciated purely for what it was, rather than any possible applications to glow stuff.

How much more so if excellent poi and sock-poi stuff was up on GS?

IMO, glowstringing is established and solid- stringers exposed to hugely different styles will not lose their way, it will only strengthen glowstringing.

Maybe it will also lead to a new hybrid style.

There's been debates on HOP about whether staffs are spinning, about whether there's too much juggling on what is basically a poi forum; recently we've had people saying 'no juggling on 'Circles of Light'- it's got to be poi or fire arts.

It's nonsense to me, and I argue against it. If HOP is really going to lose its way because we discuss unicycles and juggling, then we may as well give up now.

HOP has only been strenghtened by this diversity- I strongly suspect that many of the major long-term posters on HOP barely even touch poi anymore smile

But they still contribute immensely.

Glowstringing.com can take plenty of poi ideas, it will not be watered down by them- it can only grow from them.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
"When I look at that list and start to ponder on where I stand on it, I feel unervingly like a mouse eyeing up a succulent piece of cheese on a strange wooden platform with a springy bit of metal on it"

haha smile yup - sorry 'bout that.

ok your points there are perfectly valid, thanks for clarification Dave. smile

(ur.. still agreeing to disagree though...)

EDIT - just seen your new post and agree 100% with it.

Jo. smile
EDITED_BY: Jo (1112992260)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cynicdave1

So when I say glowsticking.com embodies the collective culture of glowstickers, I am pretty confident I am correct.

But does glowsticking.com embody the unified philosophy of glowstickers? Because there's certainly no unified philosophy here. I mean, this entire thread has occured without ANY input from the administration or moderators. I have no idea what the poi philosophy of the HoP administrators IS and would certainly be startled to be encouraged to follow it.

No other hobby (forget about spinning or poi or whatnot) has an unified philosophy governing what it is and isn't. I mean you should hear the nonsense that the model railroaders go on about what is and isn't model railroading. Swingdancing, gardening, painting, whatEVER you do people are going to have different ways of thought.

If you're suggesting that the overwhelming majority of American glowstickers have a single philosophy which just happens to match the philosophy dictated by glowsticking.com I may have to raise another eyebrow. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Could it just be the differnece between the stereotypical Americans that we are told DONT exist, and the rest of the world?

umm

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: Unfortunatly Can Obtain Fruit

Easy.

umm

Well, Ive done that with equpiment of my choice (beamers, then aerotechs in nets).
Whats next?

How about watching some glowstring vids, then replicating the routine using your aerotechs in nets, using exactly the same moves, style and speed.

(have some friends standing by to get you to the hospital afterwards smile)

I reckon you could do a routine with the same moves and style (within reason) but a different speed (which would obviously change the style somewhat).

I also reckon that the speed something's moving when spun shouldn't be a basis for working out new categories. If it were, how would you measure it, beats per minute? Theoretically, you could end up with two people doing the same routine with the same poi/glowsticks, copying each other, but if one spins at a slightly different speed, it'd be classed as something else, and I think that's just completely unworkable.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Are you saying that the speed of how you spin determins what you call something?
Or something else entirely?
The fact that the different weights means that you cant actually spin an aerotech at nearly the same speed as a glowstick.
Its got something to do with Physics wink

To an extent, yes.

People here are saying that what can be done with poi can be done with glowstrings and vice-versa.

In terms of pure moves, that's probably true.

But there's way more to spinning than moves; style for one.

With aerotechs in nets, or with beamers, or with fire, I'm sure you can pull off most of the moves done with glowstring wrapping technique; but it'll look totally different, if only due to the great difference in speed.

Why don't more people do trad poi routines with glowsticks? Cos it looks duff and they don't feel good to use for that purpose (for most people).

Why don't glowstringers use hard and heavy beamers/aerotechs for their super- speed wrap based routines? because they don't want to die smile

Generally people like to use the best tools for the job.

A regular flat-head screwdriver can often remove a posidrive screw- but you're better off using the right tool.

A good club juggler can use cheap 'beard' clubs; but he/she will much prefer their 'henry's' (or whatever they use).

Nothing elitist there- I use the 'best' poi for my spinning, which happens to be water-ballons in cheapo white sports socks. I can do my moves with, say, cone poi, but the handles are wrong, the elasticity is wrong- I'll be below standard with that equipment. I can do releases and one-hand catch routines with tailed poi- but I don't- cos even though the moves will be there- the style will not.

All poi-ers know this- it's not about the moves; think of the cliche off the newbie doing the 3-beat weave really fast; it looks duff. Yet an expert, through sheer style can make that same (but slower) 3-beat weave work really well.

As much as the essence of poi is style, so it is with glowstringing.

So yes, to that extent, speed of spinning is a factor.

And yes, it is physics that determines that your aerotechs can't replicate glowstringing style- the reason isn't that important, it's the fact that, to that extent, glowstringing can't be done with aerotechs.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
kiss

I love you.

"but it'll look totally different, if only due to the great difference in speed."

Rubbish.

Its MUCH more to do with how the actual prop looks when lit, rather than how fast you spin it.

Surely? umm

I think: Consider glowstringing a urinal, poi a flushable bowl. They're not quite the same, but they have similarities and both fall under the category of toilet. Bring into account how quickly each one emptys in regards to how fast you spin the poi.

EDITED_BY: Unfortunatly Can Obtain Fruit (1112994063)

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
and more on that point. the methodology of developing style in turn end up being different for glowstring and heavier pois.

very often do i hear poi-ers say that people should apply body movement and learn to dance while swinging poi. i totally agree wtih that. this falls under the category of what OneWheelDave said as not fitting with the style (much like fast wraps with beamer poi). and i don't think one should expect you can simply transfer this methodology directly over and apply to glowstringing.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

I reckon you could do a routine with the same moves and style (within reason) but a different speed (which would obviously change the style somewhat).

I also reckon that the speed something's moving when spun shouldn't be a basis for working out new categories. If it were, how would you measure it, beats per minute? Theoretically, you could end up with two people doing the same routine with the same poi/glowsticks, copying each other, but if one spins at a slightly different speed, it'd be classed as something else, and I think that's just completely unworkable.

Glad you said that; it reminded me of two things I'd forgotten-

1. One of those early glowstring vids where suddenly, the guy slowed right down- carried on with the same moves, but really slow. It made a superb contrast and looked wicked.

2. Advice to newbies on GS.com which basically encouraged them to learn by doing the moves slowly (and IMO this is excellent advice for poi as well)

So slow can be good- slow GS can be good; nevertheless, the fact remains that most GS is done fast, to a fast music beat.

And the fact remains that aerotechs in nets are not appropriate for spinning wraps that fast.

Do you see what I'm saying? A GS wrapped based routine could be done slow, and it could look really nice. It could be done with glowsticks, and it could be done with aerotechs in nets.

but, whereas the glowsticks can pull off the entire range, from super-slow to super-fast, the aerotechs can't- and that is why glowsticking cannot be replicated with aerotechs in nets.

That's all I'm saying- I'm not saying slow=good or bad, or fast=good or bad (both have their place); what I'm saying is that aerotechs in nets cannot replicate glowsticking style in its entirety.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by:

All poi-ers know this- it's not about the moves; think of the cliche off the newbie doing the 3-beat weave really fast; it looks duff. Yet an expert, through sheer style can make that same (but slower) 3-beat weave work really well.

But they're both still doing the same thing and, for the sake of arguement, using the same weights on cords, so there's no real justification to call them anything different.

Using your screwdriver example...
You have posidrive (poi) and flathead (glowstringing).
They're both examples of screwdrivers (object manipulation) with slightly cosmetic differences.
There's alot of crossover and some posidrive screwdrivers can screw flathead screws, some flathead screwdrivers can also screw posidrive screws but overall they're the same thing.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
regarding the physics, imo with low air resistance poi of the same length (to c.o.m)... weight is irelavant to speed entirely.

All about strength and 'human flesh impact resistance', which can be learned/trained to be higher.

Jo.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
OneWheelDave: sure, i think exposure to different poi and style is good for the growth of glowstringing. that's why we don't mind people posting their poi videos.

people can always borrow and mix styles, that's their own decision to make. people always have and most glowstringers still mix style. most poi-ers mix style.

but the point still remains, there will always be difference between glowstring and poi. and i think emphasis on the difference between the characteristics of the tools is important. i think understanding your tool is important.

i think people who claim all moves/style is transferable and all medium should be used the same way is the sole reason why i like to encourage all glowstringer to move away from traditional poi moves. because that's the path for me to prove a point.

if there's a collective group who are willing to sacrifice all poi moves and focus solely on the "glowstring-oriented" aspects and push that to the extreme. i'm sure glowstringing will be able to transform itself into something not poi related at all.

in fact, the glowstringing you see today is the progress of that movement. if you trace back 4-5 years. i woul agree with you that glowstringing is nothing mroe than poi with glowsticks. but i beg to differ now.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Wes:
"i think people who claim all moves/style is transferable and all medium should be used the same way is the sole reason why i like to encourage all glowstringer to move away from traditional poi moves."

Has anybody said not to focus on the tools advantages?

I don't think they have, just that you can't tell people which moves will work well and which won't...

..because everyone is unique.

Jo.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Somewhere on clapham common I watched NYC do a series of (to me at least) incredably fast wraps with a pair of fire poi.
His poi were appropriate for spinning that fast, and could (with a pair of decent gloves) replicate a large amount of what I've seen in glowstringing videos.

Where do you draw the line if you're using style to distinguish between groups in order to name them? What percentage has to be different to something else, and who measures it?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ive got to admit it..

What are we all arguing about again?
When I think ive worked it out, someone says something that confuses me.

redface

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: mixinluv2u

and more on that point. the methodology of developing style in turn end up being different for glowstring and heavier pois.

very often do i hear poi-ers say that people should apply body movement and learn to dance while swinging poi. i totally agree wtih that. this falls under the category of what OneWheelDave said as not fitting with the style (much like fast wraps with beamer poi). and i don't think one should expect you can simply transfer this methodology directly over and apply to glowstringing.

Only way to know for sure is for people to try it out though.

Certainly (and again I'm not saying this is happening, just that there are accusations of it) I don't think pressure should be applied to those who may wish to experiment with incorporating poi moves, and more body moves into glowstringing.

IMO, any feeling that work needs to be put into keeping a style pure is indication for caution.

It reminds me of some of the absolute BS in martial arts mags twenty years ago, about who had the 'genuine' lineage and qualifications to teach Wing-chun kung fu etc.

None of it stopped the growth of mixed styles, mixed arts, the lust for realism that led to cage-fighting etc.

But, through it all, a minority remained interested in the traditional and the pure.

I suspect that the hostility, and the stupid arguments not only did nothing whatsoever in preserving the 'pure' arts- it actually weakened them, because individuals with any sense are not going to respect a supposed 'master' who spends most of his/her (in fact on this occasion, let's face it, we can safely stick to 'his' smile) time bitching about, and arguing with, other 'masters'.

They're going to respect the teacher who gets on with teaching the 'pure' and just lets the others fight amonst themselves- that's the way to best preserve the purity of your style.(IMO)

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*pokes thread.

I was trying to come up with something nonoffensive I could say, as well as fully explaining my sentiments. Everytime I came up with something relevant to say somepeople had already posted 3 more times.

I suppose I'll just laugh. ubblol

I'll finish up this post when I'm done laughing.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Easy.

umm

Well, Ive done that with equpiment of my choice (beamers, then aerotechs in nets).
Whats next?

Yeah, I'm confused too UCoF. I think we're doing the wrong thing. If we're looking for stuff that's easier with glowsticks than sock poi I can do way better than that. confused

Is it on a GS.C video?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jo

Wes:
"i think people who claim all moves/style is transferable and all medium should be used the same way is the sole reason why i like to encourage all glowstringer to move away from traditional poi moves."

Has anybody said not to focus on the tools advantages?

I don't think they have, just that you can't tell people which moves will work well and which won't...

..because everyone is unique.

Jo.

why not? i can back up my statements with physics.

glowsticks on shoelaces are better than heavier bigger poi sets with wraps, tracing, catching, freehand glowsticking transitions, string wraps, etc.

heavier bigger poi sets are better than glowstrings with slowing it down and adding body movement, isolations, etc.

the above statements are pretty factual.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Now I feel badly about getting offtopic but this is EXACTLY the discourse I'd like to get into with the GS.C folks.

And with buddies like UCoF and others with actual skills I think this could be fun.

*Wanders off to start a new thread in poi moves.*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
"why not? i can back up my statements with physics."

No you can't.

Do you mean 'easier' rather than 'better'?

'better' for YOU?

what?

Jo.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
yes i mean easier, and have more area to expand, because it's easier.

also more time to work on expanding, because less time is used in learning, because it's easier.

i used the word "better" meaning the better tool for the job. like a hammer (heavier poi sets) is better at driving a nail into the wall (slowing it down and adding body movements) than a ruler (glowsticks on shoelaces).
EDITED_BY: mixinluv2u (1112996426)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
"No other hobby (forget about spinning or poi or whatnot) has an unified philosophy governing what it is and isn't. I mean you should hear the nonsense that the model railroaders go on about what is and isn't model railroading. Swingdancing, gardening, painting, whatEVER you do people are going to have different ways of thought. "

Did anybody else *really* want to see some model railroaders argueing?

offtopic

no seriously?

bye

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I agree some moves are easier, and we all know that the tool makes a huge difference.

but...

if the wrists and the arms move the same,

and the poi are the same length (to the 'centre of mass')

and similar air resistance...

the move is the same.

only the 'bounce' will be different... but I guess it's just practice really.

Jo.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
and the "bounce" is crucial to wraps. especially when constructed into combos.

although i will agree, when you perform poi moves (the ones swung).. it'll be the same no matter what you use. glowsticks on strings or heavier pois... when swinging to perform poi moves will be the same. that's why i understand your perspective, because you are looking at it from a poi perspective.

but if you look at it from a glowstring perspective, where wraps, catch, traces are crucial. you will understand that a lot of elements that didnt matter will matter now. like the bounce in the strings (for wraps), the shape of the glowstick (for catch, trace, etc), even the trails glowsticks leave to create the pattern i want.. all of these matter when you look at it from a glowstringers point of view.
EDITED_BY: mixinluv2u (1112996666)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Jo, simmer down.

I can back up Wes' statements with physics.

It's a hell of a lot harder to isolate glowsticks due to the fact that you've got much less centripital force to work with. That centripital force is what your arm is trying to slyly counteract.

If you guys fall back into your:
"It's possible"
"But it's harder"
"But it's possible"
"But it's harder"

Routine again I may have to break out the wet noodle.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
so Glowstringing is different to poi due to the 'bounce' in your opinion Wes?

How do we quantify 'bounce'?

Can we work around it? With either poi head design, or with, ur... practice?

Jo.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
oh dear I just read that NYC:...

"I may have to break out the wet noodle."

Noooo! I'll stop! promise... (except isolations can only physically be harder... tension = 0 at bla bla... sorry. wink wink )

Jo. smile
EDITED_BY: Jo (1112996823)

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
yes, but the same point what OWD made about some tools being better for others.

i COULD make a statue with play-doe, but i will most likely want to make it out of stone

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Did anybody else *really* want to see some model railroaders argueing?

offtopic

no seriously?

bye

I did, I reckon it'd be great to watch

'My BR A4 Guillemot's better than your Hogwarts Express loco replica'

ubbrollsmile

Page: ......