SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Has anyone played this new game for PlayStation 2 yet? I picked it up yesterday and it's the first time I've ever seen poi used in a video game. The main character Kratos uses blades on the ends of two chains as weapons. The action reminds me a bit of the scene in "Kill Bill" when the young girl fought with rope poi (except he uses two). The graphics and gameplay are incredible and the storyline is based upon Greek mythology. Very cool game and I'm hoping to get good enough to unlock some new moves...maybe slay some monsters with a behind the back 5 beat weave or something. Check it out, here is a review:

https://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,67072,00.html
weavesmiley

Fear the evil monkey!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
i thought the girl was using something called rope dart... :comfused: Like in Jet Li in Romeo Must Die... maybe i just made that up shrug

Anywho... is the game worth buying for anything else other than the poi?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Gogo from kill bill was using iron/steel/whatever meteors.

The poi with blades at the end is ropedart, or perhaps chain whip... if there's more emphasis on stabbing it'll be ropedart.

The game is enjoyable if you enjoy violence. At least form what I hear.

There's no end of ways to kill and rip apart your enemies.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Yep, that's the proper name of the weapon I think. I just couldn't remember what it was called. So far I like the game a lot but haven't had much time to get very far into it. I've only owned it for two days but the graphics are pretty incredible. A bit tough on the fingers because you have to push the buttons a lot but I'm still enjoying it. Definitely a seemingly endless way to rip apart your enemies tho.

Fear the evil monkey!

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i borrowed the game off one of my mum's mates yesterday, and some the the poi-like moves you wouldn't have thought possible, and it's overall a great game despite the fact it's only a 12 or so hour game frown

there was one point in towards the end of a big ish battle, and for a finishing move on a gorgon i think, you had to hit a series of buttons, and for every button you got right, he did a wrap on the enemy, which i found was quite an original way to kill someone hehe

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
only 12 hours?! ubblol
I got bored/scared on 'fiding nemo' after 5 mins on level 1 hehe

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i'm what people of the gaming would would call an extreme gamer, ie. ten hours is short and about 100 hours is a decent length game. [random fact] i'm currently about half way through a 250 or so hour game thats taken me about a year of on and off playing to get there [/random fact]

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
in kill bill the weapons is a morning star style thing :P spikey ball and chain :P (tho i think the actual morning stars had shorter chains) bit of a bad weapon personally - works better from a defensive position or shorter chain on horse back

back

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Morning stars have a pole in which the ball and chain are attach to hun...

I have videos of wushu meteor balls. wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
The weapon used in "kill bill" was a Shaolin Flying Hammer. A Meteor Hammer 'normally' has a wieght on both ends of the rope/chain, but can be randomly found on one end. Though both are used like a rope dart the 'Flying Hammer' is larger and heavier, and because of this will only be produced on strong think metal chain, not rope. If your wanting to make something like this, I'd recommend starting out with something like a rope dart as it's lighter and easier to learn with. biggrin

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men