i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I saw an act today that kinda impressed me. It was a rather basic poi act, but of course thats usually what audience oriented acts are... but he added an element I havn't seen in poi acts before. He tap danced to the swing of his poi...

Anyone else tried this? Makes me want to learn tap dancing or some kind of pirate-like dancing style (Ya know the quick moving feet... oh hell the Lord of the Dance type thing).

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
As far as I know there is a Tapdancing-Poi combination that is called "Bola". From Argentina and done in combination with tango ubblove

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Sounds fun...
I combine funk dance with my poi...not that interesting..but still kinda fun

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Bola.... Hmm maybe thats what it was... I don't know, it was very poi-ish anyway.

Funk dance my dear? Hmm... wonder what that looks like.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
They are traditionally done with Flamenco, but can be combined with any hardshoe/hardstep dancing.

Bolas can be traced through Argentina and to Spain.
In Argentina they are Boleadoras, and while spun similarly to poi are conciderably more difficult to do, not only for rhythmic timing but the bounce/recoil factor, body timing with step. It takes years to really become fluid with the intracacy of the rhythm and the dance combined.

They are also harder than hell and I know someone who nearly lost vision in his eye from a mis-timed spin with them, and he has been doing them for over a decade.

If you are a ren faire enthusiast then see if you can check out a show by Peter Suarez aka Manolete the Spaniard. He trained with a flamenco troupe in Spain and has been doing these for decades. It is who I learned from. He is amazing with them.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Wow... thank you Pele! I will indeed keep that name in mind. I'll have to check this out.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Just found a video of Bolas so people can get an idea of how it looks ... and imo it looks quite impressive!

www.orfeoart.de -> Information -> Download -> Bolas.mpeg

Enjoy hug

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Never mind have a lemonBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
You know thouse little kids swing balls that you put round your fett then swing it round skipping over the ball with the other foot, ive done that with pois on fire and the skipping ball on fire too