burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
need some ideeas to expand my routine.
i do the "2 poi in one hand" with bouth hands. i can do this behind the back (or should i say over the shoulder..), i can lay down while doing this. But now i havent got any more ideeas.

plz help me out with some new variations ubbidea

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Can you start the butterfly one handed? You need to kind of swing one up, and then pull it down again to start off.

Get this in both hands well and then you can (try) to do both at once.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
yepp, I do that one allready.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
"i do the "2 poi in one hand" with bouth hands."

d'oh! oops sorry, *should read posts before replying*

Can you to 4 poi at once then? wink

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thats what hes saying he can do I think...

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
As for variations, there really arent too many others besides the ones you already do as far as I know. Perhaps you could try throwing 1 poi from each hand into the air and catching them in the opposite hands and continuing the butterflies. Would be mighty tough but would look super sweet.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
learn weaves, then learn leg wrap changes from butterflyies into weaves, learn splitime butterfly one handed, learn split time butterfly carries (a 360 turn over one 'beat' instead of two) and do thease both hands, this would look rad.

try butterfly hyperlooping one poi from each hand. (i never seen this done, but it would be rad)

spirals.

learn metiors and get into throws and suicides.

I think this is the third thread on 4 poi moves in as many weeks, go look what other peaple have to say.

read anything by poiboxII

Ta

Tom wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Thx for the flowers Mr. Nx but 4 Poi Butterflies are definitely the area of Shifu 2Bags meditate

My recommendation for these: Buy COL5 and eek eek eek - this man is insane!

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
cheers andy hug.

there are lots of variations. look at the free poi lessons on this site and try the following ones with a butterfly in both hands:

- alternate butterfly

- mexican wave

- low wave

- alternate butterfly combination

you can also do these with two circles in front then two behind (instead of one).

or you can do the "alternate butterfly combination" with one less transition circle in front of you (which some people call a "wiggle").

guy's gyroscope - see michal's book for a description of this one. looks pretty ugly with double butterflies but it's an interesting challenge to do it without smacking yourself in the face.

under the leg - on a low wave you lift your leg up while the butterfly is behind you then bring it forward underneath your leg for a beat, then back out again. alternate from side to side or, my personal favourite, "stuck under the leg" where you keep the butterfly going under one leg and then mexican wave the butterfly in the other hand. hopping isn't strictly necessary, but i think it adds to the comic effect ubbloco.

leg wraps - useful for changing the direction of one of the butterflies, should you want to try a hyperloop wink.

stalls - bring your hand down as the butterfly comes down, the poi stop and start spinning the other way, then go smoothly into a butterfly in the opposite direction.

turns - easiest to move one butterfly at a time.

butterfly weave - okay, i can't actually do this one. but it should be possible to weave the two butterflies. can't do it yet, but can do a weave with a butterfly in one hand and a single poi in the other, so a full on double butterfly weave must be possible. ubbrollsmile

and finally an easy move that looks quite pretty: spin one butterfly twice while you spin the other one once, then alternate. gives an alternating 2:1 spin ratio and looks real pretty like.

if any of those don't make sense just shout and i'll try and explain them in greater detail. oh, and my other favourite trick is: while you're laying down with a butterfly in each hand, spin a weave with a poi on each foot smile.

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
hmm...
i know the alternate butterfly but i am still not totally solid when it comes too mexican wave. the low wave i havent tried yet, starnge it never came too my mind. thanx

alternate butterfly combinations will be something to practice as well.

"guy's gyroscope - see michal's book for a description of this one" where can i find this?

butterfly weave. hey that sounds quite nice. weavesmiley

thanx alot for some great ideeas!!!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Dunno if this is totally obvious but have you tried push thrus and take outs? bounce2 bounce bounce2

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I gues you mean thread the needle?

did you know you can do this with one hand?

well, acording to andy.... wink

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
after some practise some off those stange things u told me about acctually work!

i whould really like to learn how to turn myself 360 (and 180...) while butterflying. i just cant find it out!

but while trying this i found that it is possible (if u link the handels of your pois) to throw u off the butterflys quite high and (tataa) catch it again. doing turns like that turnd out too be quite hard.

so do u have any good ideas?