Page:
Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Someone told me i dressed like a Harakuju kid.
I looked it up on the net and found a whole lot of pictures, then yes i do dress like that a bit. But i cant find much on the culture.
Anyone know anything about Harajuku?

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
*WOW* oooooooo pretty biggrin hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
i'll send it to you wen i talk to you on msn next

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ooooh cool okies biggrin when it bloody works, lol MSN is playing me up today, although i think it could well be NTL grrrrrrrrrrr just for a change

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sakura_moon

...i think it would a little S+M for even Brodieman...

Nothings too S+M for Brodieman ubblol

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

https://www.japan-101.com/photos/browseimages.php?c=46

best thing about that link, is that a couple of those cosplays are from Malice Mizer... the third picture on the top row (blue/white dress) is Mana... I've only seen2 pics (and I've looked at a LOT of pics) of Mana in pants.. rahter amusing!!!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Here's a book with some of the more extreme outfits... these kids aren't "cosplay" kids... this is their street clothing. Find it in the design section of a big bookstore near you and flip through the pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
oh i love the 60's dressed ones too smile the thing i love about all this type of thing is the whole "I don't care what people think i am going to dress how the hell i want to" which is why it attracts me.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Harajuku is cool...still a lot of the 'individuality' is not really individual imo - its groups of friends all dressing alike in little groups so you see the Lolita girls, the goths, the rockers with their quiffs all in their own little circles but it is eclectic and fun and in warmer weather with people congregating around the streets (used to be pedestrianised on weekends) and in Yoyogi park.

Was quite tempted to get myself a cool costume for parties over here when I was in Harajuku a few weeks ago but the clothes are rather expensive so if talented with a needle, definitely best to create something original.

Check out the film 'Shimotsuma no Monogatari' - cool and very funny film with some amazing costumes (known as Kamikaze girls for overseas sales )
https://www.shimotsuma-movie.jp/gallery/photo_005.html

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I didn't get to see much of Tokyo when I went to Japan, as I was staying out in the mountains, but I still saw a fair few of the styles in the Fruits book when I had go to Tokyo to renew my visa.

The Japanese are just so much more artisic and creative than people over here, even when they're dressing alike it's got a fair bit of customisation and individualism, which is a very strong form of rebellion in Japan, as the culture is kind of like consentual communism, where everyone helps out to do what's best for the group as a whole, and puts their own needs at a lower priority. The only ones who aren't like this are those that have strongly embraced western ideals. I guess a lot of it comes down to having such a visual writing system (two Japanese alphabets, and the whole Chinese one too), as it really gets the brain working with shapes and movement at a young age. (the hiragana writing system almost looks like illustrations of poi moves).

I guess a lot of it is down to the fact that you can form proper small social groups. Groups of friends get together and can throw their own parties, without having to worry about all the licensing crap we've got here that makes it too expensive, so only the big parties can happen.

Also there are lots of smaller groups of musicians who are semi professional (you can get a decent guitar for under US$20), and even the biggest festivals can have loads of these groups and all their friends, so the whole scene is totally amazing with a lot more styles mixed up together as people get to do their own thing, and all the little groups have more in common than the big diverse groups here.

Can't wait to go back smile

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Page: