Page: ...
NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
top o' the morning wales based poiple! this is the thread for all things wales based, although the crew is mostly based in the land of taff currently with a sizeable offshoot in the land of tawe, please talk about funky things all over cymru in this thread!!

so, for the uninitiated, here is an exciting list of regular poi activities for the wales based....

weavesmiley Cardiff/Caerdydd:

smile Thursday nights, 8-10pm, come along to Ebenezer Church (Charles Street, around the back of Burger King and Next) for nofitstate circus' community juggling club, for poi and all sorts of other exciting juggle arts. It's just £2.

smile Little Devil's Circus coming soon... contact pitman for further details or keep an eye on this thread

smile on sunny evenings/days, Roath Park (Rec. or flower garden) you may well find a NOn spinning... it might also not be a NOn, or even a HoP person at all, but if you see someone there spinning, you may as well say hello...

at other unspecified times, there may be other meets, check the most recent posts in this thread for specific details...

juggle Juggling Shops

Cardiff Games, Duke St Arcade: although not exclusively a juggling shop, they stock some poi, juggling balls and rings, plus occasional other sorts of toys... oh and the guy who owns it does poi too!

Route One Skate Shop, Morgan Arcade: Stocks variety of juggling equipment, including poi.

hug HoP people in town

NOn

Rossco Bossco

Pitman

Ryan

Unclassified Leggy Girl

weavesmiley Swansea/Abertawe and surrounding area:

smile Juggling Club, Thursdays 7-9pm In the Phoenix Centre, in the Townhill Area of Swansea. Costs £2 for the session!

smile Circus Eruption is based in Swansea and they run a juggling club for young people, also frequently advertise in the Big Issue for volunteers to help out, but i don't know anything else about location or anything for that at the moment.....

juggle Juggling Shops

Don't know of any

hug HoP people in town & surroundings

Skully

holysmoke27

weavesmiley Port Talbot:

smile Tai Poi Workshops on Aberavon beach most weekends! £2

juggle Juggling Shops

Don't know of any

hug HoP people in town

Gizmo

Kim

Gums

weavesmiley Rhondda Cynon Taf:

hug HoP people in town

NOn (Aberdare on workdays)

Stroo(poss? M.I.A...)

Juls (Pontypridd)

weavesmiley Llanelli:

hug HoP people in town

Adz

weavesmiley Caerphilly:

hug HoP people in town

Nia

weavesmiley Abergavenny/Usk/Monmouth area:

smile Monmouth, 7pm, under the Monnow bridge Every week, free, look out for the lovely poiple...

hug HoP people in town

Buggleberry Fairy

Mr Chutney

Shaping Light

weavesmiley Aberystwyth:

juggle Juggling Shops

Pixie Moon in Market Hall. Stocks juggling equipment, Poi/Flag Poi/Fire Poi, Staff and other Circus Skills.

hug HoP people in town

Imaginary Grace

weavesmiley Anglesey:

hug HoP people in town

glowingsunsets

everything else happens spontaneously in or around this thread, so please introduce yourself in this thread and come hang out with the coolest poiple in wales.....

cool

updated with brand new design attributes by mattyb

EDITED_BY: NOn (1189456023)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

ArwynsmumBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Hi there!

I'm new to Poi and to the site and I'm so glad to find so many spinners around!

By the way, does anybody know where I could get poi lessons? I live just out Swansea.

any_suggestionsGOLD Member
enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
hey and welcome to hop,i dont know if there is any where local to get lessons but there is a juggling club near swansea.where by do you live?there will be a couple of us meeting for a spin in swansea next week or the week after i think,your more than welcome to come along.

to many freaks to little circuses!

ArwynsmumBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Yeah I'd love to know about that juggling club, I hope is not the one i'm thinking 'cos they don't take over 19's... I am afraid I don't think i'm up for this meet up, just got my first pois a few weeks back and my skills at the mo are at a highly embarrassing state :-) But I'd love to after a few lessons :-D
I live in Gorseinon, where about are you?

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
i live in llanelli,this juggling club is in town hill,is that the one you were thinking about?ah dont worry about your skills,we all started some where,we can teach you.have you looked at the lessons vids on here?

ArwynsmumBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Well I found Circus Eruption which is for ages 11-19, I sent them an e-mail asking for more info but no reply :-(
And I have just found the details of the one you mention: Swansea Juggling & Circus Arts, in Townhill Community Centre, isn't it? There is a phone number so I'll try next week.
Yes, i've seen the lessons here, I even have the dvd! It's just not that easy when you're on your own, I get stuck on the easiest thing and I don't know how to sort it out. Yeah well, you're right everybody started somewhere, i might come along, when and where are you guys meeting?

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
yup yup the one in townhill you got it.nah it isnt easy when your trying to leran on your own.we should be meeting in swansea centre within the next couple of weeks hopefully.come along if you like.

Imaginary_GraceBRONZE Member
53 posts

Posted:
*Slinks back to the thread*

Heya again.... I have returned after a very long hiatus. My poi skills are no better. I couldn't find anyone to spin with, so I got a bit disheartened - Plus I lost my fave set of poi. ! I am still looking for them. grrr...

I am renewing my will to spin. I got a lovely set of flags, and would like to not look like an idiot. - Incentive or what?

I know no one missed me because I wasn't around all that long before.... but whats been happening? ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Imaginary_Grace (1213301201)

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head....

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
We will have Pineapple Pete staying with us soon. Not sure exactly what days yet but it would be nice to go to the beach and have a bit of a meet up to show him how fab Wales is.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Kyosuke88newbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hi. Just wondering if there is anyone in the carmarthen area that would be interested in meeting up for a spin?

I'm based between Llandovery and Llandeilo, and I'm looking for something to ease the boredom of being home from university for the summer, and to meet new people interested in the same things!

I use fire poi, fire fans, can fire breathe pretty competently, and am interested in learning staff.

I'm home for most of the summer, appart from when I'm off down to GLADE festival, out of interest is anyone else from this area of wales going ?

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
hey skully ill come to the beach for a spin when pineapple pete arrives,ill speak to pitman aswell.

hello and welcome kyosuke i live about half hour from carmarthen and im always up for a spin,ill come up to carmarthen or you can come to llanelli,whatever suits you.im sure there are a few people that meet most weekends in carms but ill have to check on that one.
let me know.

Kyosuke88newbie
2 posts

Posted:
Ahh that would be awesome beyond belief. I've been looking for someone to spin with. Can you suggest anywhere around here that sells parafin? I've not been able to find any in Llandovery or Llandeilo.

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
you can usually get it in b&q or in tesco petrol stations,let me know on here in advance and ill come for a spin anytime.

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Wason's in Penarth is the cheapest I've found so far at £3.50 for a gallon tub. You shouldn't have to pay more than £6.00 anywhere!

I'd LOVE to meet up with anyone to swap tips & tricks -weekday evenings would be the best for me, ideally Cardiff but I'll come as far as Swansea if there's a beer at the end! Email me at "pete at gritstone dot com" if you want to organize something.

rebel without a....

pause

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pete in your profile page it says "And I'm absolutely not an axe murderer". Now to me that sounds a little worrying... you may not fit in with the rest of us, as Axe murder is only second to poi/hoop spinning in our list of hobbies.

ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Heulynmember
30 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone!

Ti'n iawn?!

Just wondering if anyone is close to the North-West area of Wales?
I'm in that area, specifically Llandudno.

There are circus workshops that do Poi in the Colwyn Bay area, and Prestatyn too, and I was just wondering if there was anyone in the area who fancied coming down and giving it a try, and maybe teaching me a few things while you're at it haha...

Anyway. Yeah.
Let me know =]
x

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
Hi

Hoping to get down to Cardiff this evening for a few Poi tips. Been trying to get there but with the nicer weather, nothing feels like a chore

I'm taking my poi to work now and it's good to do something active after sitting at a desk. Migh look a bit odd poi-ing in a suit and high heels, but, see if I care!!!!!

xxNxx

Red Raven Wellbeing Centre
9 Clive Street, Caerphilly. CF83 1GE
07757 057 157

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
Well, went to Cardiff and there was no sign of anyone....

Is the circus skills still running??

07757 057 157

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
HELLO HELLO HELLO,

im back and ready to rumble. been sleeping all winter now im knocking about in Monmouth for the summer then back to Swansea in September.

just come back from WOMAD and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't been and ran a few workshops for poipoi. now im off to the big chill to run a few more workshops there. so if your going to be there pop over to the poipoi then and say hello.

so how is everyone?

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
HI Pitman

I'm going to nofitstate meet on Thursday. Will you be there? Could do with some poi pointers.....

N

07757 057 157

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
no im going to be running workshops at the big chill unfortunately. plus nofit is not really my kind of thing. but there are lots of people spinning poi so plenty of pointers.

right date for the next meet:

Cardiff - 16th aug coopers field
Swansea - 30th aug Beach

any comments?

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
i cant come on the 16th because im going to v festival but i can deffo do the 30th on the beach,good luck for the big chill dude.

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
ok so 30th in swansea. anyone else want to add. im good with the 30th

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
I might be able to get there for the 30th. I'm desparate to find fellow poiers and Cardiff's No Fit State Circus, which is all I can find is a little bit.............. odd

smile

07757 057 157

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
no fit sucks and everyone is up their own ass there. right i cant make the 30th but dave is coming to mine on wed, so is people up up for a meet thu eve, on the beach in Swansea???? me and dave and prob ads will be there, so anyone else is welcome.

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
Well, missed the Thursday thing...!

Any chance of a meet near Cardiff, or better still at the back of Caerphilly Castle sometime soon???

I've been meaning to take my 'glow in the dark' poi over there for ages. It's got a really cool atmosphere with the lights on the water!!

Saturday 13th September 7pm

Any takers???
EDITED_BY: redraven (1220181539)

07757 057 157

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
you havent missed the thursday spin,its this week.
hey pitman what time are you going to be on the beach till?
im working till 10 but its only up the road from the beach so i could take my poi in my car with me and drive down straight after work?
let me know mate

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

07757 057 157

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
what happened to this thread. it used to be the busiest and always on top now there is no one here. so sad. ;(

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
hello pitman. I too am wandering across the deck of the good ship Cymru Celeste...

I go for an occasional poi spin underneath Penarth pier (except when I'm at work, or the tide is up, or a gale is blowing - which explains the 'occasional'!)

Anyone else active round here?
Pete

rebel without a....

pause

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
hey pete everyone has given up on this thread,id be active but im in oz lol.its such a shame as we used to have quite a gathering going on.

Page: ...