PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hi everyone,

The lovely Arsn gave me a whip recently, and I havent been able to easily put it down (in fact the only thing that did make me stop playing with it was blisters smile). Im looking at buying a larger whip to use in performance (although I'm not nearly at performance level, I am hoping to spend the next 12 months working up to it). The one that Arsn gave me is about 5 foot in length.

Can anyone give me any advice on buying a whip? I dont know much about them, but I dont really want to have to buy several whips as I improve, unless its absolutely necessary.

also - does anyone know of any whip trick resources?

(edit)

Resource list.

www.bullwhip.org

Good run down on basic tricks ( 7 kinds of cracks, and a bit of theory) and tips on buying, caring and of course playing with whips. Has good lessons very similar to HOPs.

www.westernstageprops.com

sell heaps of different whips for what seem to be a bit expensive prices, however many of their products seem to be endorsed by leading whip experts. So I guess you get what you pay for?

WSP also sell instructional videos for whip cracking and tricks.

www.firewhip.com

Fire by Riz, sells a bunch of different fire whips, ranging in size from 3 foot to 8 foot, and seem to be professionally constructed and designed. prices seem good to me, and apparently custom sizes of whips are available. Of interest as well, they sell UV reactive whips in a range of sizes. All of Riz's designs seem to be based on the american bullwhip design.

Anthony De Longis

AS pointed out by Arashi, this guy Anthony De Longis has expertise in this area and has made a few instructional videos that look good. The ones that I think I'll buy are on this page; Mastering the Bullwhip 1 and 2 I'll post a review once I have them.

Josh

EDITED_BY: Josh (1107237237)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im wondering do you know anybodie that would know anything about whips wink.

Im on to it biggrin

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

ammreSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I've got an 8ft 12 plait kangaroo bullwhip handmade fomr australia... it's lovely...
Kangaroo is the better leather for whips...
the higher the plait the better the quality...
length is up to you...
On the end is the... [censored], i cna't remember the name of the pice... it's a leather lice that's woven intot he end of the whip, that is then attached to a cracker... people use a multitude of things for their crackers... i'm fond of masons' twine (bright colored nylon twine used for measuring out straight lines and marking off things) you can find it at home depot for cheep, so if you loose a cracker or break it, you can easially and cheeply make a new one.
you don't want to be snapping it too hard... if you're doing performance, you want to work on accuracy and a slight snap... enough to whoo the audience, but the larger and more booming a crack is, the more stress you place on your whip. If you continuiously do large cracks than you can't expect your whip to have a good long life...
My friend who does performance bullwhip suggests Saddle soap cleaner and dubbin conditioner for maintence. He also says there's a video out there called "whip cracking made easy" that is good.
Try not to get your whip wet, that can ruin the leather, if you do, let it dry in room teampature, don't make it too hot or that too can ruin the leather... store away form heat and extreme cold. Don't use on pavement... you want to use on a smooth surface, or a crassy surface, pavement can work like sandpaper.
I can do up to 5 different cracks with it so far, i haven't really invested much in learning yet as to the fact that i have no space to practice (go away snow!)

happy cracking...

that which yeilds is not always weak.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
this is my true area of expertise, so any questions just ask.

i buy my whips from western stage props cuz if i ever break one i can get another exactly like it hassle free. but lately i've been working with their nylon whips by chris king. they are fast and hurt so i usu. recommend playing with 10' latigos for a year or so first. 5' is too short for cool target work and meditation IMHO. i've never ever bought a kangaroo but i've played with them and they are nice if you're rich. i do target work though so i don't bother, i go though lots of whips!

for leather latigos i was using "keystone" whips, they're pretty cheap and handle nicely. some have a mexican swivel which is nice _if it's not too loose_ so if you want one with a swivel, ask for a tight swivel. swivels are for stockwhip style multiple cracks.

a good resource is videos by Anthony de longis. he's a tai chi martial artist/swordfighter and his approach i think is very good for spinners and i think you'd get off on it.

anthony

echo the pavement warning. get a rug or heavy canvas tarp to practice on.

fly to austin and i'll teach you some cooooooool tricks wink

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

ammreSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
heeeeehh
i'm not rich, i just have the hookup.

that which yeilds is not always weak.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
welllll fine, rub it in... spank tongue
i've been whipping 10 years and i've never gotten to play with a _big_ kangaroo tongue
ubbidea

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
your giving my boyfriend ideas now....

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
your boyfriend wants to play with long kangaroos? eek

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
who doesn't?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
I do!

found out tonight that I should be able to get a discount on an RM Williams Kangaroo leather whip, 16 plait I think? what length do you guys think I should get?

Was getting into the rythmic cracking today for the first time. I didnt realise it was possible to crack a whip in a rythmical fashion smile

Thanks guys for the responses!

Josh

--

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Josh - can't help you with the whip stuff, but I've got a gorgeous pink cowboy hat that would look just fab on you.

Never forget, when playing with fire: accessorize!

*lapses out of valley girl mode*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
lol youre mad smile Black leather jeans will be my costume I reckon, hmm perhaps a fluro pink hat would suit? lol when we tour to sydney I'll wear your hat in the show, should put an unusual tinge on the inuendo wink

Josh

--

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I haven't been able to contact Riz somethings wrong with email. I was just wondering if he made his advance tape?.

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
* snaps his fingers annoyingly near Riz's face *
yO! riz! stop staring at the belly dancers and answer your email!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and fire chains excite me

A few years back the juggler at juggleart (forget his name) got into whips and did the local show circuit competing in the whip competitions in country Victoria. Not sure how he went, I think he was treated as a bit of an outsider.

Swapped a few fire tricks for some whip tips with this family of whip crackers from the country Victoria a few years ago. They have a great routine. The father brings out the old bullock whip (`~ 60 feet long or about 20 m) for a demo and does the prattle. The daughter does a lot of two whip tricks, including the Sydney slide; which I think is a 2-beat weave. And the son, well he does everything while riding a uni cycle. Good stuff. I should have brought a whip of them for AUD $75. The whips come from Qld and are good for show work. Now, that this has come up I might give them a call and see if they have any for sale.

There is guy (Chris Moran?) in Melb who does double fire whips really well. He does a move called the Brisbane (hunch) back or something. Anyhow, he is cracking both fire whips over his head and back wile hunched over. Very spectacular. And he is always having trouble with his crackers.

Anyone know the Australian names of some of the traditional whip cracking moves?

cheers

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im working on a move where you crack the whip behind your head snap it out to the side crack it there . Then to the front with two whips.

Remember when your trying to crack it

You must whip it (devo there sorry bad joke)

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Bump for fireNix

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Thanks Puk - I do hope youre gonna be there with your whiops at MoonFest - wanna learn, LEArn, LEARN!!!
Do you have a Fire Whip too? - Any ideas of where to buy one possibly in OZ, and BullWhips too!!!
Im developing a Whip Fetish, which my girlfriend loves (when I find one!!:) )
Seeyaz

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
You mean to tell me a man with a whip fetish is coming to stay with me !!!
YAY, bring it on!!!

Unfortunately we just sent FlameOz Grace's whip back to her... it was light but effective.... kangaroo I believe.
and yes, I'll preempt Puk's reply.. he does have at least 2 firewhips and was furthermore using both of them last Moonfest ubblove. .. on stilts!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I've two cat of nine tails as well but um thats a nother story .

JelenaGOLD Member
In love with firelight
9 posts

Posted:
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how you make crackers for a fire whip? What kind of Kevlar do I need, and what do I do with it?
All the bits of cracker I had got lost or destroyed in various ways, and my whip has now gone all silent, it's very sad frown (nowhere near as much fun to play with...)
Any help would be appreciated!

Jelena

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
buy kevlar string, flay the end out and tie a knot in it about 3 inches down to stop it flaying more. tie on to end of whip.

bang smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley