Page:
MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive been working to categorize all types of flowers in an attempt to find more. I believe Ive finally finished and have discovered many new ones (to me) along the way. Decided to share what Ive got in an attempt to both educate those who may not be aware of some of them as well as get info on any I may be missing. Heres the breakdown...

There are 4 categories of flowers:
-Basic flowers
-Counter flowers
-Goofy flowers
-Half flowers

Basic flowers are the simplest and usually the first ones people learn. They're just your average flower where the poi and arms are both rotating in the same directional pattern (ie, poi are spinning forward chase/arms are spinning forward chase; and poi are spinning forward butterfly/arms are spinning forward butterfly)

Counter flowers are what Ive been calling anti-spin flowers before all the anti-spin jargon started. You can call them what you want, but in this case, they're counter flowers smile They're the ones where your arms rotate opposite (or counter) the direction your poi are spinning (ie your poi are rotating forward chase/your arms are rotating reverse chase; and your poi are rotating forward butterfly while your arms are rotating reverse butterfly)

Goofy is the term Ive come up with to describe flowers where your arms are doing the wrong directional pattern for the way the poi are spinning (ie your poi are doing butterfly but your arms are rotating chase, and vice verce). This forces one poi to always be doing counter spin while the other always does normal.

Half flowers are where your arms only complete half a rotation before going back the way they came forcing the poi to do normal spin one way, then counter spin on the way back.

All of these can be done as a chase or as a butterfly, in split or same time. Its also great to be able to turn all of these 360 and some of them are actually easier that way.

Anyway, gimme some feedback, especially if you have some flower ideas I havent yet thought of.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
But you cant unzip it if you dont have the proper software. What did u use to zip it?

Winrar should be able to unzip it, it cant do almost anything...even make ur coffee wink

U can get winrar free here https://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ooo it works... Thank you Garth and Dragon7 hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
so i've been working on incorporating handwraps into flowers, that is wrapping each poi around its respective hand, then unwrapping them whilst doing a flower...my favorite variations are doing this in a same-direction reverse flower and split-direction...i refer to this as a "blooming flower" as it looks like the petals unfurling as the poi unwrap. anybody else playing with these? if not try it, it's fun and a nice effect...but the unwrapping *does* make keeping straight planes a bit more difficult.

*edit* my soon-to-be new favorite variation will probably be anti-spin once my brain stops knotting up as i go into the unwrap ubbloco
EDITED_BY: blueboy (1113584177)

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I've been playing with the handwrap into flowers combination for a couple of months now,,it's lots of fun.
I find doing a reverse butterfly handwrap while bending my legs to finish the wrap as low to the ground as possible, then standing back upcwhile turning 90 degrees, sticking my arms out horizontally and unwrapping into a flower, works well,,and it's a bonus transition from bf to weave as well.

Also pulling apart a buzzsaw into the same horizontal arms position, unwrapping(twice around the hands for me ) and then stopping the flower when my arms are vertical,,pause for a beat or two and then going into and antispin flower,,,makes a nice combo too.

Unwrapping into antispin,,now that's going to take some serious concentration.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Turn to double bicep wrap and start antispin. wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
mm, firepeople occasionally have issues with those sort of wraps. dunno tho', I'm not really a poi-ist . . .

ture na sig

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Double bicep wrap? Why didn't I think of that? And it sets one up perfectly for an antispin flower. I know why,,my double bicep wrap suck, I'll spend some quality time with them today but I'd want them pretty reliable before trying this with fire, probably better to do them as bounces with the flames.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
a double bicep wrap! will try it during my lunch-break spin later today...thanks kael! though the handwrap gives you more wrapping time which i like, but the bicep wrap probably helps you keep cleaner lines...?

and re: firepeople having issues with these wraps -- i don't wear gloves or sleeves doing these wraps with fire -- it hasn't been an issue, you just have to start the unwrap immediately...

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's a really nice effect blueboy - thank-you smile

spirally goodness within flowers ubblove

and as for anyone worrying about it getting hot, you can always just turn before the fire gets near your hands and you should be fine smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

completely immodest link cos i said some good things about bf flowers and also had a random idea about quartertime smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That double bicep wrap is a censored isn't it? I finally got the hang of it, and on a good day I can even pop it into an antispin flower.

One fun combination I discovered yesterday...

Spin a butterfly,,,then do that stall that everyone used on COL5, stall the right poi straight down over your left arm. Bring it back up,,and as you do, wrap the chain twice around your hand in the opposite direction ( so both poi are spinning in the same direction ) pause for a few short chain pendulum swings ,up high ,and to the right of your still spinning left poi...turn 90 degrees to your right, unwrap the right poi, and you're all set for flowers.

SeGeeSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
EHm.. what are "Flowers"?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
A multiple beat separated pattern. Basically, you open your arms and let each poi make their own circles, then move your arms aroud at the shoulder in bigger circles.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
I wish I'd found this thread some time ago... thank you, SeGee, for boosting it back to the top!

to live at all is miracle enough

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
OK i can't do flowers yet... well i can in my mind, and thats half the battle, but ive been thinking, it has to be possible to put more/less petals on a flower, and a 6 petal flower popped into my head, so i thought i'd share, dunno if anyone else has tried this, so here goes at me explaning something i cant do...lol.

ok so you're setting up for your flower, but insead of keeping your arms at 180 degrees apart, and moving 90 degrees every beat, you have your arms at 120 degrees, and more them 120 degrees every beat, so there are only 3 positions in every rotation (hope im making sence so far). so why is it a 6 beat i hear you ask, well look at the picture.
clicky cos i cant get the darn image thing to work
now go and do it!!! lol

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
well yeh, you can do a flower with as many petals as you want i would suppose, just the more petals you do, the longer it takes to "draw" the flower because you have to just move your arms slower while keeping the poi spinning the same speed.

also, you wouldn't need to put your arms at anything other than directly 180 degrees apart. any even numbered petal set will always have petals directly across from each other. so you just move your arms slower and you get more petals, just they will cross over each other.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
try it, bet it fries your brain biggrin

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
To do it the way you say, Vamp, you would need to change your poi timing to 1/3 timing... Which is pretty much just sloppy. Quarter time is bad enough. However, you could easily make 6 petals with your arms 180 apart spinning split time..

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i agree 100% with imbalance and icon vamp.

check it: yuta doing a 6 petal (antispin) flower the normal way.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Its like two triangles together smile :R

POI THEO(R)IST

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Has anyone been playing with quarter time flowers?

One centre of rotation chasing the other 90 degrees behind. The dynamics are very different to normal or anti-spin flowers and it requires good balance, lots of turning and what feels like a bit of contortion wink

I’m not going to type an explanation as it’s easy to figure out yourself and your better off finding your own way anywho.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
 Written by: DeepSoulSheep

Has anyone been playing with quarter time flowers?

One centre of rotation chasing the other 90 degrees behind. The dynamics are very different to normal or anti-spin flowers and it requires good balance, lots of turning and what feels like a bit of contortion wink

I’m not going to type an explanation as it’s easy to figure out yourself and your better off finding your own way anywho.

Quarter time arms or poi? or both?

With Quarter time arms you have to move quickly at certian points else you get twisted up good and proper.

Quarter time poi? I definitly can;t do these.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Arms. smile

Not sure how much quarter time poi'd be worth the effort....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
my post on the last page has a link to a quarter time discussion in which flowers get a short mention.

they are also referred to [Old link] by young mr durbin and myself.

i personally don't appreciate them - they look a bit rubbish and they hurt more.

besides, parallel-time same-direction flowers hurt my brain even more than the quarter time ones hurt my shoulders...

i don't think god likes them much either which is why they could never work unless your arms are those of a whirling woolsey wink

cole. x

[edit after reading garthy and james' last posts:

if you are spinning flowers and your arms are 90 degrees apart, wouldn't you really want your poi 90 deg apart too?

i.e. a quartertime flower should really suggest that both poi AND arms are quartertime

if you try to do quartertime arms and splittime poi you better be tron's great grandson cos if you ain't, you haven't got a hope in hell of pulling them off!]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
...and also mentioned in the second post of this thread! biggrin ubblol

I tend to agree with cole on most poi related things and failed to see the point of quarter time flowers. They look a bit rubish and hurt cole. wink

Been liking Parallel same direction antispin flowers recently But I think I do these a bit differently to the whirling woolsey. but I'll await my DVD and find out (:D bounce bounce2 )

I thinks god likes all things flowery. peace

offtopic

Although Hybrids have been taking my time away from flowery love recently.

Antispin Hybrinds are the Furture! ubblol biggrin and twist your brain tryiny to visulise them let alone doing them ubblol

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Now I'm confused about what I actually do when I do quarter time flowers.

Must get someone to watch me tomorrow. confused

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol

sorry hug

you can tell if you're doing them right by checking that the poi still pass the flower's centre point (your shoulders) at the same time.

fire actually helps lots cos you can hear when they are working smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

ubblol

sorry hug

you can tell if you're doing them right by checking that the poi still pass the flower's centre point (your shoulders) at the same time.

fire actually helps lots cos you can hear when they are working smile

cole. x

ubblol

That sounds so easy. But my brain doesn't have any spare time for things like checking. It's all tied up doing quarter time flowers without hitting myself. eek

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I've been working on BTB flowers and weave flowers with a hyperloop when they cross from one side to the other.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but here's my description of BTB flowers for anyone who wants it.

1. BTB reverse weave - extend left arm up, right arm across the back.

2. Turn 90 degrees to the right - both arms extended out at sides.

3. Turn 90 degrees to the right - extend right arm up, left arm across the back.

4. Turn 90 degrees to the right - both arms extended out at sides

I'd love to figure out if it can be done antispin tongue

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
is it a flower if it can't be done facing one direction?

I accept that flowers can be done while turning, but they are also able to be done in one direction...

so wouldn't that make what you're doing lockouts between btb weaves?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Page: