Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Post pone! I prolly won't make it if it's this week. Mind you vthey said it was going to rain today and it's been lovely! shrug

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I dunno. I'm moving house this weekend so it's doubtful if I can make it either...

ARGH! Decisions decisions!

You guys still wanna meet on Sunday go ahead! We do need one more before PLAY though... smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I don't think I can go on Sunday either. So erm another day?

Written by :Elaine

Mind you vthey said it was going to rain today and it's been lovely!

Ah but vthey always say things like that. I think vthey do it on porpoise wink

nb: no sea dwelling mammals were harmed during the making of this post. Although some dugong were forcibly ejected for snickering...

Meh

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
another day is fine, me+aimz are gonna be up at chorlton at seye's tomorrow

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
So official then?

Postponed till next week then?

Sunday 13th July?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
But its July surely?

I'll be away next weekend frown

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
We're probably going to Beech Road festival in Chorlton tomorrow. Feel free to contact me through the usual channels if you fancy coming along.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
 Written by :pricklyleaf

But its July surely?

No, no it's a whole new calendar system. This month is now officially known as Blingett. July isn't for another 3 weeks...

confused

Meh

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
awww shame , i tihnk i got next sunday off though smile

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I got very, very dampened today. Did it rain in Manchester too? Did we miss a deluge?

Meh

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
yup got absolutely pissed on at this festival thing in chorlton that we went too

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
would you be irritated if i said it was warm in rhyl?

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
Ah good, the meet was postponed, I somehow managed to catch a cold/throat infection so i've been in bed for the past 5 days.

Sunday the 13th, anyone?

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

BandanaDaveGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
Ello ello ello,

I was wondering.... Just wondering if anyone might be wanting to host a Sydney sider in Manchester after the meet on Sunday the 12th?

*grins*

I'm heading up to Edinburgh the next morning and was hoping to come along for a twirl on the Sunday. See what you lovely British twirlers are all about....

Neon Shaolin can vouch for me. He stayed at mine for a short while in Syd. Smiles.

Many Smiles,
David

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Argh!

A reference ye be wantin'?

Dave is a lovely fine upstandin' chap who put me up/put up with me during my stay in Sydney and it quite the multi-talented chap so would be worth having at the meet and as a house guest...!

It's been a long time man, looking forward to seeing you!

hug hug hug

penwingnewbie
26 posts

Posted:
I may be able to make the meet on Sunday (first in aaaaggggeees), but I know my housemate wants to go down to the festival thingy-mi-bob in Platt Fields (but it's such a trek).

I will however, most definately be at Play. I have tickets, time off and everything. I assume other people are going and this year maybe i ought to hang around manchester guys at least a little. Is anyone driving down on the Wednesday with space in car for a cheeky sod? I'm very wary of relying on the non-play bus at the other end...

Alex
x x

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Thats a good point actually...
Who's going?

Play Roll-Call!!!

SOUND OFF LIKE YOU GOT A PAIR!!!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Me, I'll be there (and quite possibly on Sunday too, yup, shocker, Nigel isn't working the day of the meet. Yet.)

And I should be bringing Claire again (my neighbour, she of the impromptu spoon-playing workshop last year)

(A pair of what? Swinging clubs? Poi? Staffs? Legs? Eyes? Ears? Arms? Bicycles? Inline skates? Quads? Climbing shoes? Curtains?...)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
I'll be going, gonna be training it down at some silly time in the morning... who ever knew that 7.30am existed...? tongue

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
well, that was a death knell, wasn't it...

Who's coming on Sunday? Think it'll be castlefield again?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yeah Castlefield it is

I propose to meet at 3pm if people want?

I'll be going to meet BandanaDave about 1630ish anyway...

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
I'll be there, or atleast my physical form will be tongue

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
ok fun, me and pete will probabyl be there about 4pm ish

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Yea yea, I'm slack...
In my defence I have to get a job pretty darn soon and I spent my afternoon working on that.

I trust y'all had fun in the sunshine...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
Anyone up for some non-commital frisbee?

this apple juice is a bit milky isnt it?!

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Not really smile

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Right -

Shell Island looks the best option at the mo - secret garden requires pro spinners like toast or chimaera, and its in Cambridgshire.

Shell Island is £7 per night, fires on the beaches, its a site of special scientific interest, so it'll be nice, it's approx 60 miles from Chester, probably more, therefore nearer 90 from manc. Theoretically not that much further than Welshpool, but the roads will be windier as we have to go across Snowdonia nation park to get there, so it'll be a nice drive.

Weather looks OK, but it's still too far off to get a good read.

I'm in, anyone who wants to go please PM me your telephone numbers so's I can organise meeting up to travel convoy etc etc. Any more Q's please PM me!

And please note, this IS an open invite, so anyone who wants to, and is not a manchester spinner, will be welcome. We're not clicky...

And if you want to bring anyone it'll be cool, the more, the merrier, just point them in my direction...

the only block to not being able to camp is that the site is not licenced for campervans.

Also please post here if you're coming... or I could start a new thread?
EDITED_BY: =Flashpoint= (1216026934)

penwingnewbie
26 posts

Posted:
I'm up for Shell Island. I have no transport of my own but do have Young Persons Railcard and experience at getting really annoyed at trains 8-).

What's Shell Island like for getting food (I'm not talking about hunting rabbits here) - do we have to bring *everything* with us or will we be able to buy supplies there?

Alex
x x

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
*cough* start a new thread *cough* well pete as you know its a given that im coming, but i will have space in my car for a few people, one might possibly be taken, but you can organise transport cant you smile hug

but yeah as far as im aware shell island has snack bar, a resturant and a tavern bar.....i think, but all the info is available on the website.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
what an awsome meet guys! just like the good ol days :d

ill be a sheep and follow the crowd next week, gonna keep my time booked off biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.