dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Hello,

Is anyone here a writer or an aspiring writer who has any advice about beginning a relationship with the world of words?

I am quite mad and find myself writing things all the time. My second favorite passtime is reading. I read all kinds of things serious, fiction, nonfiction, scientific.... I read magazines books, the back of shampoo and anything else I can find.

So any hints tips pointers, discussion groups websites?

thanks
k biggrin juggle

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hey kelly, i find i write to releave my self of many thoughts, im currently writing my journals over in the intros section.
i dont read much because of an attention disorder... i get a little lost but it doesnt stop me writing though.
dont have any thing else to say that could be of use, other than let it all come out!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I write prose and poetry but only in little chunks. I've started writing four novels now and I got about 50000 words into one.. but I kind of gave up.

The way I see it, as long as what you're writing interests you, then it will probably interest someone else. A good way of starting is getting a blog or something (https://www.blogger.com and mine is https://airspaced.blogspot.com
) and putting up extracts of poems or prose you write, and see what people think about it. People can be quite brutal but it's free and nice to know what people think of what you're doing.

Personally I say just write. For poetry, at least. I never edit, and rhyme is something that either fits or it doesn't. That's my best advice - all my best stuff just spills out onto a page, rather than being a conscious effort on my part. The subconscious is far more interesting than the conscious because we have no direct experience of it.

Good luck, I hope you write lots and put it out into the world. It's a liberating experience to have people comment on your innermost thoughts.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
If you're writing a story, especially if its going to be sci-fi, try mapping out the story first, get the "What"
Then sort out the "who" and the "why"

Seriously think hard and flesh out the "where",many stories Ive read suffer from lack of description...

Do you need a "when"? 2000 years into the future?
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

Then really get to grips with the "how". All of those questions must be answered when writing a story, and answered in depth as soon as possible, in my very humble opinion...

My 2p's worth!
ubbrollsmile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
The "why" is quite important though.. I think not enough thought is given to this sometimes. Motivations are easily conjoured up, but they're often very cliched and crap. I'd say that a lot of contemporary sci-fi suffers from this problem, and that often makes it very forgettable.

In my opinion, of course. My interest only goes as far as Arthur C. Clarke smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I love sci-fi. But I generally want more of the who.

In fact most of my stories start with the who, and end up going along because of them... I think this is the most fun way.

Thanks for posting about this pixie, it's made me start thinking about all this stuff again...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
The "why" and the "who" seem inextricable from one another. Unless you're writing from a pseudo-historical perspective, in which case it's not as relevant. I'm thinking "Childhood's End" here.. the characters aren't as important as the implications of different species coming into contact etc.

Thoreau

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I always feel like writing, but never have anything to write... Mostly anywho!!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Once upon a time I wanted to be a writer.

I wrote two books.

I sent them to publishers

I got them back

The words 'miserable failure' spring to mind.

Hope you have better luck.

It's good fun writing anyhow, wether you ever get published or not.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Lillie, if i remember correctly, J.K Rowling sent her book to about 15 publishers before being accepted... Keep Trying!!!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Borathmember
64 posts

Posted:
I'm with Flashpoint. Lots of great books ('War of the Worlds' for example) were rejected at least once before finally being published. That's just part and parcel of the whole experience. It takes a while to build up some skin against the words of critics, I'm sure, but perseverance is the key.

As for writing tips:

I've been writing as a hobby for almost 8 years now, only in the last few toying more with original pieces. I started out, like most Internet-writers, in fanfic, which I found as a marvelous place to practice and to learn. Having characters and background largely set up took off a lot of pressure with the stories so I could play with plot and development more. Perhaps this is something you have experimented with already? It's not for everyone, admittedly, and it's very easy to get stuck in fanfic and never really move on, but mostly it's just some constructive fun.

I believe there are two types of story: Plot driven and character driven. When you start writing, you must either decide whether you want to have a story that contains riveting action and glorious battles (if you're wandering down the route of Action & Adventure) or a slower piece that steadily explores intricate character relationships and developments. This is a very general summary, but there does seem to be at least a slight leaning towards one of these styles. Alternately, and possibly more effective, build up where you want to start and what you want to say in your mind and then just write and see how the story wants to be written.

There are dozens of different styles of writing, and this goes beyond perspectives and the like. Don't be afraid to experiment as you might find something that you would never have initially done that you are in fact enjoy and are good at. A slightly more zany style gives you more of an edge too, and makes your work more memorable.

Drawing a little from personal experience is always helpful. Granted, you've likely never flown a 50-ton warship through a meteor shower with a smart-arsed android yelling at you, but things like losing a loved one, achieving something you've worked really hard at, getting lost in the middle of the woods; these are all things you can draw from. Focussing on the feelings these experiences caused you to have, your thoughts at the time, and then integrating them into your story will add a new level of richness and depth and bring your work to life. It will also engage the reader more, take them along on the character's journey and help them to become absorbed in the writing.

Keep away from 'perfect' characters, but at the same time try not to generate angst-machines. This was a little rule I picked up through fanfiction.

Speaking of characters, know them before you write them. It's generally a good idea to write 'character bibles' including details such as where they were born, what food they like, what irritates them and what makes them say that they are not touching that with a ten-foot pole. Do what works for you though, and if all you need to remember your characters is a few drawings and everything in your head, then just keep with that.

Plan out your story. Work out why things are happening. If your characters are changing rather large situations (a rebel force working through an enemy stronghold, for example) then it has to make sense. The characters have a certain knowledge and specific inclinations based on their personality, so a lot of what happens needs to bow to that, or the other way around. History for events needs to be looked at as well; why there's been this build-up, why it's all hit the fan now, who's responsible, etc.

I'm worried I'll start repeating myself if I write any more, but I hope some of this has been helpful. For the most part, writing is about finding out about yourself and how you write best, so just keep at it. Get feedback from a few people you trust who will be very honest with you and don't worry if you end up drafting something 20 times. That's 20 drafts worth of improvement.

There are some excellent tutorials on writing at Elfwood:

https://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/writing.html

Lastly, just keep at it and enjoy it. Good luck!

I can't be evil; I'm wearing pink.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Borath

There are some excellent tutorials on writing at Elfwood:

https://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/writing.html

Lastly, just keep at it and enjoy it. Good luck!

Great link, thanks, and totally agree with your conclusary point!

Thoreau

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Later I looked back at the stuff I had written, and it was rubbish.
I stuck it all into a paper bank, so I hope it did a little good when it was recycled.

But the writing was an experience in itself, and a triumph too. Even though it was garbage it's still something to have sustained a whole story through to the end, and to have followed it through with the whole publisher thing.

I'm not bitter. I think that it was worth doing.

And maybe I'll try again one day.
I know I've got a good story in there somewhere.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I don't think I can call myself a writer, writer seems to be such an offical term...but yes, I write sometimes.

I don't know if this seems sick or anything, but writing about intense passion, romance and sexual desire seems to be my forte. You can go into such descriptive things and if it's written well it can almost be beautiful to read.

Other than that, a feature on my site is my 'Rant 'O the week', feel free to check it out, sometimes they're not that bad!

https://www.freewebs.com/xxabandonedxx

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Sometimes ranting is the best writing. It can be uninhibited, free-thinking emotion. That so-called 'watcher at the gates' often dilutes great writing before it happens. So I rant whenever I can, look at it later, and pull out what I like. (Hint: it works for heated thread posting as well wink )

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.