Forums > Social Discussion > Fire test beta - comments please

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Slightly above the base of the fire begins the continuous flame region. Here the temperatures are constant and are slightly below 900°C.
Above the solid flame region is the intermittent flame region. Here the temperatures are continuously dropping as one moves up the plume. The visible flame tips correspond to a temperature of about 320°C.
Finally, beyond the flame tips is the thermal plume region, where no more flames are visible and temperature continually drop with height.

See. I promised.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
can we have "correct" "close" and "You just endangered someones life or made yourself liable for damages"

?

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I AM working.

FaerieWithoutWingsmember
9 posts

Posted:
A very good idea. Made me realise that I know jack about fire extinguishers... will look it up now!

Condoms should also be used to prevent the spread of sexually-transmitted diseases, like babies.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Malcolm

Written by: filthy assistant #1

I took the test and it seems like I did well because there are alot that say "Correct" next to my answers. There's some that don't say "Correct", but they don't say "Incorrect" either, they just don't have any response whatsoever... Are those the ones that I got wrong?

Only if it says correct did you get it correct. Try another answer till you get all correct.

It's funny how brainwashed some of y'all are by your public school systems. People NEED those that they got wrong marked wrong in red marker or they're uneasy about it.

I think people's grades should be posted by their screenname and ranked accordingly. wink

[Says the public school teacher.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
20/26... and im the fire floor liason officer at work... not good! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
24 of those ones. . . only cause personally I'm telling someone to phone the ambulance while I get the stuff to treat a 3rd degree burn. . . .

Guess all those chem courses and first aid might help after all . . .

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I got all of them, but i had to stop and think about the one that said something along the lines of "a burn requires immediate medical attention". When I hear that I think emergency room, and not all burns require that, but logically they do all require medical attention so I did get it right after thought.

Written by: MiG

3(nationality specific (N)) the whole insurance thing. im not sure if all countries have that law setup

By and large most of them do, especially for performers, and whether or not it's the law, it is something that should be done.

Written by:

8(C) better wording - instead of 'human torch', say 'catch on fire'

This is a technical term for it. The clothing acts as a wick and so it becomes a torch. Death by this method is also concidered "The Wick Effect"

Written by:

11,12,13(N) give what's in the extinguisher, not the code for it. IE, instead of 'class a', have 'water (class a)' or something

The hyrdo-extinguishers do not have classes to them because they are water. If there is a class level on the extinguisher then it is a given it is dry chem. If you do not know this, you would not have gotten the questions correct anyway..as only an ABC grade/class extinguisher is approved for what we do.

Written by:

19(I) I think it really depends on the type of burn as well. sure, a class one burn that size wouldnt cause much concern, but a third degree that size probably would.

Technically all burns require medical attention. To ever publicize otherwise would make the author liable for suit if someone did not treat a small one and it became severly infected.

Just wanted to point those out.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

Written by: MiG

3(nationality specific (N)) the whole insurance thing. im not sure if all countries have that law setup

By and large most of them do, especially for performers, and whether or not it's the law, it is something that should be done.

the naming is actually nationality specific, you might have the same law, but with different languages you'll have different words and abriviations for it.

Written by:

11,12,13(N) give what's in the extinguisher, not the code for it. IE, instead of 'class a', have 'water (class a)' or something

The hyrdo-extinguishers do not have classes to them because they are water. If there is a class level on the extinguisher then it is a given it is dry chem. If you do not know this, you would not have gotten the questions correct anyway.. as only an ABC grade/class extinguisher is approved for what we do.

same problem.
e.g.: in holland we don't use the wording "dry chem" but "powder"
and after following this thread i still don't really know what an ABC extinguisher is.
we have: powder, foam and CO2, which one is which?

Just wanted to point those out.

just wanted to point those out too

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: 'pOp'

the naming is actually nationality specific, you might have the same law, but with different languages you'll have different words and abriviations for it.

So then it still doesn't make a difference. Whether or not I understand the law in the other country makes no difference to you if it is in place, and whether or not it is law makes no difference, as you should have it.
confused

Written by:

:in holland we don't use the wording "dry chem" but "powder"
and after following this thread i still don't really know what an ABC extinguisher is.

Malcolm explained it on the test, so if you have taken the test, you should know the answer, and I know it is in several threads and articles which I have written. ABC means it is acceptible to use on all sorts of fire..from wood/paper fires, to electrical, to fuel.

Written by:

we have: powder, foam and CO2, which one is which?

Powder tends to be the Dry Chemical and is the one with an ABC class on it. Foam is specialized and used primarily on electrical fires. CO2 is not good for on people use.
I have seen fire extinguishers from other countries and if you take the time to read them, they list what is in them, as well as what to use it on and how to use it. All you have to do is read them, or the box they come in.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:

1) So then it still doesn't make a difference. Whether or not I understand the law in the other country makes no difference to you if it is in place, and whether or not it is law makes no difference, as you should have it.
confused

2) Malcolm explained it on the test, so if you have taken the test, you should know the answer, and I know it is in several threads and articles which I have written. ABC means it is acceptible to use on all sorts of fire..from wood/paper fires, to electrical, to fuel.

3) Powder tends to be the Dry Chemical and is the one with an ABC class on it. Foam is specialized and used primarily on electrical fires. CO2 is not good for on people use.
I have seen fire extinguishers from other countries and if you take the time to read them, they list what is in them, as well as what to use it on and how to use it. All you have to do is read them, or the box they come in.

right,
1) the question to which this applied was: "1: MSDS means?"
I was just trrying to say that that is your terminology, it shouldn't be a question on an international test.

2) the question on the test was: "11. "ABC" on a fire extinguisher means?"
i see no explanation in the test, just a question. so without this explanation you have a big chance getting this wrong (as an international test taker) and if you have this one wrong, the next 4 questions right answers are based upon having that answer right.
questions like that in a test should be independant of having answered the previous question correct.

also ABC in fire/emergency situations mean something different everywhere so for us the term "ABC extinguisher" might work confusing:

here we use it for the vital signs test to know the seriousness of the situation:
Ademhaling (breathing - lung functions)
Bewustzijn (conciousness - brain functions)
Circulatie (circulation - heart functions)

somewhere else I believe it's the system for the order of reanimation:
Airways (to be clear of vomit etc)
Breathing (mouth to mouth)
Circulation (the pumping heart movement)

3) this suggests that only CO2 is not good to use on people.
I have learned to NEVER use dry chem on people either. the dry chem is a "salty powder". and you would never want to put salt in open wounds (burns) or eyes!!!!!
plus if you would use it indoors it would fill the whole area with a big cloud so you are going to lose overview of the situation and make breathing harder.
in fact, in a couple of years all dry chem extinguishers will be banned from use in europe. that's why you can find them really cheap now: everybody is trying to get rid of their stock.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
1) the question to which this applied was: "1: MSDS means?"
I was just trrying to say that that is your terminology, it shouldn't be a question on an international test

the question i was actually referring to was the law/insurance one.

We actually go by colours here. red for water, blue for foam, red with a black band for CO2, red with a white band for dry chem, 'wheat' for wet chem, yellow for those nasty ones that arent legal any more.

and if you have the time to read a fire extinguisher before you use it, you arent in enough of a hurry.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I got all barr three right, Scouts does come in very handy especially when they send you to a fire station for fire safty courses.

A very good idea to have on the site, more tests are a great Idea keep us all safely on our toes and not in a hospital bed!

Nice one Lightening and Malcolm!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Empress KylonGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I have just completed a first aid course in NZ and I specifically asked about 3rd degree burns because of this quiz.

They said that no matter what you should run any burn including 3rd degree under cold water. If you don't do this then it keeps burning and gets worse. The chance of infection is minimal compared to the continued burning. And you should never cover a 3rd degree burn - let the medical professionals take care of it.

I know that they keep updating what she be done in first aid courses so it may pay to check with st johns or red cross to see the current guidelines.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I think this one should probably be differnt too.

21. The FIRST step in managing a Third-Degree burn is to remove the heat source from the skin. After that is done, you must

Correct - a. cover the wound in a clean, dry dressing

This is not true the first thing you should do is

c. dial your local emergency number

Unless you are a trained profesional you have no idea what could happen next, The person could go in to shock. If you call emergancy services straight away you can then attent to the wound while they are comeing.
EDITED_BY: Blueberry (1193956490)

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
um. I'm confused confused 2 of the answers I got wrong I didn't tick (shock question & treatment of 3rd degree burns) oh well I knew the answers. 3 wrong and 2 of them were silly clicking errors. It's great knowing a fireman ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
I run a small circus group. I don't allow any of our fire perfomers to light up unless they get at least 69% in this quiz first.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
Why 69? ubblol

I got about 22 or something but I missed a couple by mistake. I'm fire marshall for my office though so I probably should've done better frown.

It's a good test for sure but as aforementioned the specific fire extinguishers vary from country to country. Great test though, well worthwhile.

biggrin

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Elken

And you should never cover a 3rd degree burn - let the medical professionals take care of it.

That's not what I was taught in emergency first aid. If it's going to be any period of time before the ambulance / you get the burn victim to the hospital, then you should cover it gently with cling film, to avoid it getting infected / stuff getting stuck to it.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I agree with meg, medical professionals and my fireman colleague agree that a clean dry covering can be applied to a 3rd degree burn to protect and prevent infection we carry fire brigade issue burn packs which are suitable to cover any type of burn. but i don't know if having a fireman on the team counts as a medical professional...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Malcolm

Fire Test link

Its a bit of fun wink so have a go

Only two wrong! Not bad for an apprentice who accidentally clicked on the wrong answer in regards to MSDS despite knowing better (boy, my chemical engineer dad was REALLY disappointed in me for not noticing my mistake of clicking on "d" on that one. He knows I know better from working in the plant as a temp and all the time working in the chem labs, and I can still feel his shame)

Malcolm, that was a real pleasure, and a definite confidence boost in my knowledge and training that I'd been needing for a little while now, even with that stupid mistake of the MSDS. (*kicking self*)

hug

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Because that was my first result when I did it. Don't want to seem hypocritical.

Why, what other reason coulkd there be?

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
...anybody notice that Full Time Fire Performers have the lowest percentage score on average....

:O

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... 13, not too good i think id better do some more research.

"Don't do it naked!"

BAS231187GOLD Member
20 posts

Posted:
24/26 whooo! 92%

i got the 3rd degree burn treatment wrong but there seems to be a bit of debate as to the correct answer anyway.

also got the abc fire extinguisher question wrong but any fire extinguisher would have a list of suitable uses that u should have read when buying it.

and that was done without looking anything up. im quite impressed with myself. biggrin guess thats why im usually the first one to go to when organising a fire night with the leeds uni circus skills club even tho im not an official commitie member.

I refuse to tip toe threw live only to arrive safely at death

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
oooh, cool... I got 5 wrong, which is ok, I think, for a non-first-aid-trained recreational fire spinner.

still... not really good enough for someone attempting to get a regular fire meet going...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
23/26 first time, only got a couple of the extinguisher ones wrong, but thats because im a Brit, the other wrong one was a bad click, 2nd time through i got them all

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

Page: