Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Yo Weeel smile

Nu-Zealand Juggle Convention should be wicked but maybe a few too many poi spinners wink

What does b before a siteswap mean?

I didn't learn new tricks as such, but a did a fire show at the weekend and my club bit was great. There where lights everywhere see, so I could see smile

Only dropped ONCE!!! Amazing, I have a routine beginning to solidify, and doing it with only one drop is a sooper-dooper bonus so thats the new move I learnt smile

Rock

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
123456789abcdef Jonny wink Siteswaps. (10=a 11=b)

My 6ball is getting solider. I can see myself getting better at synch.

And theres a cookie here for Pre if he comes and collects it wink

Non-Https Image Link

During lunchbreak, i managed 25 catches of a 5 ball half shower. Which is my best so far. juggle

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Cool JonKnee.

11 is b then. Sounds high.

6b? Thats more fingers than I have on one hand. Amazing!
I caught on more 3up 360 on doubles. That's three in my whole life. Spiffing smile

ubbrollsmile

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I just learnt Chris Bliss's routine.

Willy - is bad for your health...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
what a waste of time - i just made up a better one wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
lol Chris Bliss's routine... cascade, shower, half shower, maybe a bit of tennis in there, all in different combinations? Hell, i can do that! smile

I've been having a bit of a juggling drought recently. Still can't qualify 3 in one hand, but my 4b mills is getting better, averaging around 12-13 catches which is about 10 more than a week ago smile As for anything new... i'm lacking inspiration at the mo frown

Clubs though.... my mills is solid, burkes is getting there and i'm learning 2 in one hand. I wish i had a higher ceiling! smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

what a waste of time - i just made up a better one wink

cole. x

Make a video, post it in Social Chat. wink

Anyway, I managed three rounds of 534 with clubs today. Now my fingers hurt. frown

Will - I need advice from a 5 club juggler... do you catch and throw the clubs near the end of the handle, or toward the middle of the club? I cannot find myself a happy medium at the moment, and my doubles end up going stupidly fast, or stupidly high with an extra half-turn. frown

1,019 posts

Posted:
20 catches with 6 balls. I hate 6 balls, but I forgot to take my 7th along to practice. frown

Attempted 552 with clubs. You have to get every throw perfectly correct or the pattern falls apart. A lofty five followed by a fast 'un ruins the pattern. frown It happens all too often too.

I also taught my left hand to do 7531. Before today it practically refused to do so, and it was frustrating to try.

That's all I've practiced today.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
woot! Just did an hour of solid club juggly goodness and got between 10-20 catches of each of the following:

Cascade in wall plane (i think)
reverse cascade
tennis
half shower

I was most pleased with myself smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I havn't managed to learn anything new for ages - that'd be a lack of practise for you wink

I need to learn something new though - so I'm after some random suggestions - what should I learn?

edit..

Written by:

123456789abcdef Jonny Siteswaps. (10=a 11=b)

People using hex for siteswaps really don't do anything to help throw off the image of juggling nerds wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I suggested to Bov that he learns the DDW and DDBJ wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
or the OWD... ubblol

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Right then.
It is now official.
The best way to learn back crosses on singles is to learn them on doubles.
I've been doing them everyday on doubles for about 1 1/2 months, and have got up to 20 throws n catches. Havn't tried on singles much untill this last week. After one week focusing on singles, I got 14 catches in a row this AM. The doubles gave me the technique I reckon, then you just have to do it really fast for singles. It's splendid smile

Also, if you practice 531's with the 3 as a back cross, then you have got the 53 with the 3 as a backcross, which you can use in 534 and thats also splendid smile

Rockin

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
yay i qualified 3 in one hand today, lots of times smile

1,019 posts

Posted:
I managed approximately 7 rounds of triple single. It felt so nice.

Written by: Beth

yay i qualified 3 in one hand today, lots of times

Now do it with your other hand. juggle

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
Hexagonic, I have about one more day left to manage 400 catches, and today I managed 287! So I have to do 113 more within the next 24 hours. Easy *cough*.

Been messin around with my 5 cascade. Can do under the leg, reverse for about 10+ now, and half shower back into 5 cacade quite easily. Its going well! Haven't yet mastered 5b tennis (the simple one: 4 normal throws, 1 reverse). I can do 4440 with clubs, and I want to actualy do four clubs, but I've only got three. I can do 7777700 in my 5 cascade runs now too! I can also do 6 balls for about 8-10 catches.

That's all for now!
EDITED_BY: MTGjumper (1142795021)

Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Give a man a set of fire clubs (see above)

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
...i just learned 423 heehee yay me!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

1,019 posts

Posted:
42 catches of triple-single.

woot woot.

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
Lemonkey, is that with clubs? I'm guessing it is, since you called it triple singles, not 53.

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
Yauuuuuuuussssssssssss!!!! Hexagonic, wait for this, I just managed a whole 378 catches of 5b!!! Well, its 22 short, but who cares? Hallelujah! Yayayayayayayay!!! Woowoowooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Yes! 3-7-8! Yay! Yauuuuuuuuuussssssssss! I'l stop now...
EDITED_BY: MTGjumper (1142969911)

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MTGjumper

Lemonkey, is that with clubs? I'm guessing it is, since you called it triple singles, not 53.

Yep, with clubs.

Written by: MTGjumper

Yauuuuuuuussssssssssss!!!! Hexagonic, wait for this, I just managed a whole 378 catches of 5b!!! Well, its 22 short, but who cares? Hallelujah! Yayayayayayayay!!! Woowoowooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Yes! 3-7-8! Yay! Yauuuuuuuuuussssssssss! I'l stop now...

Congrats. How aobut learning some tricks now? tongue

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
I have been tryin to learn some- I can do under the leg once in a blue moon (well, about 1 in 15 times) and I can do half shower and go back into cascade. Also, I can do cascade, reverse for about 7 catches, then back into cascade. Any more simple things I should focus on?
EDITED_BY: MTGjumper (1142974706)

1,019 posts

Posted:
I cannot go from reverse cascade to cascade. frown I know how, but I cannot. frown

Erm, you could learn the variations of the half-shower. Async (one ball slightly over the top of the other), and (6x,4x). Practice with both hands throwing the higher ball over the top...

... then, move onto (6x,4)(4,6x)...

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
Lemonkey, what exactly does (6x,4)(4,6x) look like? (I know the 6s cross and the 4s don't.) Can't visualize it in my head. I know its five balls though! Java isn't working, so I can't use jugglewiki or juggling lab. Thanks in advance.

Also, although not strictly five bal patterns, I've been messing around with four balls in 5b patterns (55550 and 552 etc.) changing between them, getting more comfortable. It seems to be helping, as my improvements in 5b show. Improved by 140ish catches in a couple of days! Go me! Can I have a cookie UCOF? Please!
EDITED_BY: MTGjumper (1143050405)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
try 64555

wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lemonkey

Will - I need advice from a 5 club juggler... do you catch and throw the clubs near the end of the handle, or toward the middle of the club? I cannot find myself a happy medium at the moment, and my doubles end up going stupidly fast, or stupidly high with an extra half-turn. frown

I find for 5c cascade I throw and catch near middle of club, but i like to juggle fast. Some people like to catch near knob end of club for a slow spinning 5c cascade. It's up to you, I assume you're talking about the spin for 5 clubs yes?

I've been trying to get 531 on doubles/singles recently. For that it certainly helps to have the 5 double really slow and lofty, and the 3 single quite fast.

NZJC was great, but incredibly laid back. I think it'll take me a few conventions to get used to it. It was based at Raglan, a wee surfing town with a right and left hand breaks. I went swimming (or tried to) but the current was so strong and I was worried about being swept out to sea frown

I managed to get some stuff though -

441 in flats solid (3c)
a flash of 71 in flats (4c)
522 with second 2 as shoulder drop to blind catch (3c - continuous)
5551 (4c)
was told i have a solid 5c cascade and perhaps i should start thinking about triples rolleyes
and i won the 5b endurance (for once!)

MTG - nice one on the 378 catches, shame you didn't beat me. Oh well, I'm sure you enjoyed the challenge of pushing yourself. Now about you beating the 7m42secs record...

juggle

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: hexagonic

I find for 5c cascade I throw and catch near middle of club, but i like to juggle fast. Some people like to catch near knob end of club for a slow spinning 5c cascade. It's up to you, I assume you're talking about the spin for 5 clubs yes?

Aye, five clubs. I see very little improvement in my 5c cascade at the moment. I even struggle on 552 and 55550, as I can never get the throws consistant.

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
I can do one 64555 during my 5 cascade , but it's not very consistent. Thanks for the idea for me to work on. It will be a while until I get it continuous!

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
another good one that i've just got is 5551

I also found that learning 4c in singles really improves 5c doubles

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

1,019 posts

Posted:
Don't see how, but I'll give it a go... my 4c singles could do with some improvement, but I do enjoy --doubles-->singles-->doubles. smile

Page: ......