• Tout achat effectué ce mois-ci est instantanément pris en compte dans une loterie pouvant vous faire gagner jusqu'à USD $ 100.00 de crédit HOP

Page: 1...8910111213
_Clare_
BRONZE Member since Oct 2002

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Total posts: 5967
Posted:Hi there everyone,

After a couple of requests, some consideration and my own rather curvaceous tangent on the thread for the Russian families of the school massacre I decided to start a thread dedicated to interesting issues in the daily news (or even the daily news itself, anything news-related really you get the idea).

Ive done a search and while theres hundreds of threads for individual news stories, I couldnt find one for an ongoing discussion of whats happening in the world around us.

I know lots of people dont follow the news, but many do, and my opinion is that discussion on current events gives people a better understanding of nations, races and humanity, for want of a better word.

HoP is in the enviable position of having a really global audience there cant be many websites with regular posting members from right across the world, covering such a wide spectrum of cultures, ideas and beliefs. We have the ability to look at events from many different viewpoints, so I thought we should use it.

Anyways, I was thinking we could post, or draw attention to, some of the main stories that affect us on a daily basis

Btw, I really dont want this to become an America-bashing thread (or any other type of bashing). I think most of us share the view that the American government are fairly appalling at the minute, and while criticism will definitely happen, I dont want any Americans on the site to feel victimised or that pro-Bush types feel their views arent valid. Try to keep all the views considered and, if possible, sourced.

So anyways, let me know what you think

A couple of interesting stories I picked up on today were:

Indonesia has become the latest nation to join the war on terrorism following the car bomb at the Australian embassy which killed 9 people and injured 180 I heard an Indonesian government official (I think it was the spokesman for the Indonesian foreign ministry) say they are 'now ready to join the war on terror', after it was alleged the militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah were responsible. (sorry, am about to leave work and couldn't find a source... will try to get it tomorrow).

Also, US secretary of state Colin Powell has declared the situation in Sudan a genocide:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3641820.stm
br>
It seems the countries are busy arguing over the term genocide as opposed to actually getting out there with aid and peacekeeping forces.

Anyways, Id be interested to hear anyones opinions on these stories as well as anything else youd like to bring up

Thanks
take care
Clare xox

Getting to the other side smile

Delete Topic

Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:Man forced to Marry Goat

ubblol

This made me laugh.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

jeff(fake)

jeff(fake)

Scientist of Fortune

Total posts: 1189
Posted:A bizzare interpratation of Islamic law?

Still hillarious. ubblol

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Delete

Spiderbaby
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Spiderbaby

c",

Total posts: 199
Posted:Im surprised nobody mentioned this yet, my friend was in dublin at the time, he said it scared the crap out of him

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

a unionist march went bad, it was attacked by some republicans who came down from the north and by some idiots just looking for an excuse to cause trouble

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Le sigh frown

Meh... another stupid riot over a battle victory that should have been laid to rest a long time ago...

And don't be surprised if things haven't been posted here yet... just post it yourselves smile

I would love to spend all day trawling the internet and posting interesting news stories here, but sadly can't... so keep up the good work m'lovelies.

Delete

Spiderbaby

Spiderbaby

c",

Posted:Written by: FurryPurple

And don't be surprised if things haven't been posted here yet... just post it yourselves smile

Its just im usually the last to find out about these sort of things wink

It was just mindless thugs rioting, they were attacking shops so it shows they were just looking for an excuse to cause trouble. the unionist march was just the excuse

my friend siad Schuh was distroyed and so was mc donalds . . . strangely enough a burger king beside the distroyed mc donalds wasnt touched at all.

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:ubblol

Indeed... Burger King - 9 out of 10 thugs prefer it.

See you in Dublin spiderbaby
hug

Delete

Spiderbaby

Spiderbaby

c",

Posted:FurryPurple, i know this isnt really the thread for it but do you think any of the irish spinners are going to oxegen?
Im in naas so im within walking distance of oxegen biggrin

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:spank

Nope it's not the place smile

Not sure how many will be going... most will be saving for the EJC, Electric Picnic and million other much better things happening during the summer...

Now... post some interesting news story instead biggrin

See you soon x

Delete

ado-p
GOLD Member since May 2004

ado-p

Pirate Ninja

Total posts: 3882
Posted:i went two years ago and swore never to go again.

it was an eco disaster and nearly made me cry.

and yes

i know...

offtopic

smile

Love is the law.

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:On call centre workers in India...

"Indian by Day, American by Night"

(Just for those of you who haven't realised it, in order to get the 8-6 call centre services that most people can't really use cause they're working then, call centres half way across the globe have to work at really bad hours...)

Written by:
we meet Naomi (formerly Namrata), who has wavy blonde locks and an English rose complexion. Though she looks like she has bleached her skin and hair, she won't discuss it. Naomi is in the final stage of the process of Westernization that Ahluwalia has documented with his film. "I'm very Americanized," she says in a strange accent that seems vaguely Texan. Namrata, it seems, is an identity lost to the forces of globalization in the new India, with its skyscrapers, call centers and consumerism.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,403861,00.html

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:Any one know about thorium

Claimed to be three times more abundant than uranium, SAFE, and the e fuel source for a truly clean and green nuclear industry.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Thanks for the posts hug

Lots of bad things have happened in Northern Ireland... but it's always a bit shocking to see how low people will stoop...
Graves desecrated

Also,
The future of the web...

Delete

maus
BRONZE Member since Jul 2005

maus

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4191
Posted:Thats awful about the graves.
It really angers me that people can have that little respect for those that live or rest around them. frown

I also don't think they realise the love/energy and money that goes into maintaining a grave,and the effect it will have on people.

We had a similar outbreak of vandalism in one of the cemetaries over here,and my mums first husbands gravestone was split in 2...not nice at all.

Thoughts and prayers going out to the families and friends of those whose graves have been tampered with.

grouphug

Delete

Stone

Stream Entrant

Posted:Hi FurryPurple, I was wondering how the Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, is being received in Ireland?

Chocolate may boost brain power

biggrin

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

Domino
SILVER Member since May 2004

UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey

Total posts: 757
Posted:HIV infections apparently stablised

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5021074.stm

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Hey Stone... I didn't even know he was here til you posted that - thanks!

I was in Paris all weekend, but I haven't heard anything at all...

shrug

Delete

Stone

Stream Entrant

Posted:Yeah! Australia is right up there wink

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Yeep... I know...

If it had been Bush or Blair there would probably have been more said... maybe even the odd protest...

shrug
le sigh

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Sorry, I stand corrected...

As Indymedia Ireland points out... there was a protest rolleyes

Stop Torturing Sheep

Delete

Stone

Stream Entrant

Posted:Thanks Furry Purple. Thats interesting, I had no idea Mr Howard had been targeted around the globe by PETA. .

Apparently, in Washington last September one man and four women stripped down to g-strings and painted Australian flags on their bodies as part of a PETA sheep protest.

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Particularly for Mags...

Aung San Suu Kyi taken to hospital

Delete

Stone

Stream Entrant

Posted:Very Good News

Beer may help against cancer

Even better, Very Good News after 17 pints

Could Irish coffee be the perfect drink?

biggrin

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:hehehe
stupid tea drinkers, thinking they were better than us
Irish coffee here I come

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Took ages to find this thread rolleyes

biggrin

Ok, I wanted to post about this, but it doesn't really deserve a thread of it's own...

Today in Northern Ireland we had our local politicians finally coming to goverment (after many years of poncing about, not doing any work - without even the excuse of art or poi).

It was a shambles... finished off quite appropriately by an ageing terrorist attempting to storm the place with a handgun, knife and bomb-in-a-bag.

(History: Michael Stone was the thug who shot mourners at an IRA funeral in the late 80s. Since then he's been released from prison because of the Good Friday Agreement, written a book, become a painter (not so much artist), and supposedly changed his ways...)

The is the usual level of drama and farce the people of Northern Ireland put up with.

Moving forwards?

Meanwhile... in a story that has reporters panting like dogs for the sheer good timing of it all (just when the new Bond is released)... A former Russian spy has died after apparently being exposed to radiation in a London restaurant.

Cue the cliched headlines...

Meh... anything interesting happening in your part of the world?

ubbrollsmile

Delete

BansheeCat
BRONZE Member since Jul 2005

veteran

Total posts: 1247
Posted:We caught a Russian spy in Montreal, but no one has poisoned him yet...( so far as I know) wink

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Hmmm... Keep an eye on him... y'never know...

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

Posted:just normal wisconsin stuff
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10390893/detail.html?rss=mil&psp=news
br>the actual story was sad but that they were going to breed it with horses and donkeys is interesting as well
http://www.channel3000.com/news/10384292/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news
br>this is just odd, and the next
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10387626/detail.html?rss=mil&psp=news

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Wow... that first one is the shortest story ever... with absolutely no details ubblol

Thanks for that... smile

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

Posted:http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=535346
br>
we have this stupid code of silence so even if you do know who shot one of these people, you don't say anything. it is either pride, because you're "down" with the people who did it, or because you don't want to end up on a list like this...
i think we are up to eighty some murders thus far

Faith

Delete

_Clare_

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Posted:Oh my god... that's shocking.

There's something similar here in Northern Ireland... you don't tout on a mate, or whatever paramilitary group you're involved with...

That's why they brought in the confidential telephone - so people could tell the police without identification...

Delete

Page: 1...8910111213