Forums > Social Discussion > Wisdom Teeth and UK Dentists

Login/Join to Participate

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Anyone here know anything about either of the above??

I am in a bit of a pickle... my dentist told me this morning I will need at least one, maybe both of my top wisdom teeth removed (ouch) eek Trouble is, I am moving up to Leeds in 4 days, and I hear from everyone it is very hard to get registered as an NHS patient up in that area, so I am debating whether to commute down to London to my nice dentist that I've known all my life, for the nasty business.

Having trouble working out a few things though, firstly COST... anyone have any idea at all how much it costs to have a wisdom tooth pulled, either NHS or private (if I had to go private in Leeds maybe..)
Also - do they do it general anesthetic these days, or local? Am very scared about them doing it while I am awake.
umm
ubbcrying

Just feel really clueless and scared about this all so if anyone has any info, or better still is a dentist themselves (anyone??) that would be marvellous....

thanks in advance....

a very concerned pengwino XXX confused help

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I was threatened with having wisdom teeth out about 2 years ago. I was sent to a hospital dentist who reviewed my teeth and decided to leave them where they are for now.

My advice is to go back to your dentist and ask all these questions. Are your wisdom teeth under the gums or above them? This makes a difference on how they will be removed.

Don't Panic! Panic never helps.

Cost is a tricky one. Are you a student or receiving tax credit/ state benefits? If so it might be free on the NHS.

Finding a dentist in Leeds doesn't have to wait 'til you get there. Look up Leeds dentists phone numbers on the net and ring around to find if any are accepting new patients.

Again I say DON'T PANIC and good luck! hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I had all four wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic before the poor things had even surfaced and yes, it was sore after, but it was all ok really. I woke up with two rubbergloves full of ice cradling my head and couldn't understand why my hands were so cold rolleyes

I'd go with sticking with the dentist you know and 'love' rather than bundling even more stress into finding a new one.

But also do as skulduggery suggests and get a second opinion. As one helpful dentist told me, it's far easier to come back later and take them out than to try to stick them back in after eek

good luck hug

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
check your pm's biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys. Yeah dentist is not 100% about it yet, so maybe they will be ok and I won't have to have them out in the end. 2nd opinion sounds a good idea. Basically they are coming through (so yes, they have surfaced) decayed - yuk - and one is particularly bad and I've been in pain for a week because of it.

I've been talking to friends in Leeds and getting recommendations of dentists but sounds like none are taking new NHS patients at the moment.

I HAVE been unemployed for 7 months, but with no benefits, and new job starts Tuesday so not sure if it's too late to get the HC1 form to get me help... oh gosh, so much to think about. eek

Thanks again.. am waiting for my dentist to call me back about the cost / anesthetic issues, and after seeing what he says I might try and get that form to help with costs and maybe just twist the truth a little (ie. lie about savings and such, and pretend I don't know that I will be working again as of next week!) It's not like there is any way I can actually afford to pay to have teeth pulled out right now after all.........

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I got my 3 (still have one) wisdom teeth pulled while under LOCAL anesthetic. It was a tad uncomfortable...about as uncomfortable as my tongue was when I first got it pierced...but easier to deal with since I didn't have to learn how to eat all over again.

....as for the other stuff...I have no clue since I'm in the States.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Well - Good News! (i think.....) umm

Just spoke to my dentist again after getting nowhere with dentists in Leeds all day aaaand - he had a cancellation TOMORROW so i am going to have them both pulled then! Bit scared.. and yes it will only be a local anesthetic but it's good to hear the survival stories (Spitfire and Cutom Bug - thanks)

My burpday party is in the evening so I hope it doesn't take too long for my poor mouth to recover - can't be doing with not being able to drink properly or anything!!

Thanks for all the help today people, I will report back tomorrow afternoon and let you know how it all went. Wish me luck!

eek eek eek

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Good luck! Hope you can make your party!!! hug hug

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Just to let you all know I survived! tongue
It was really quick which was a nice surprise.
No pain (yet!!! just waiting for the injections to wear off) but the noise was pretty horrific.

Whose idea was it to take a walkman in?? ubbidea I'm sure it was someone from here. I LOVE YOU ubblove whoever it was, that was such a great idea. Even dentist was impressed. I listened to The Ataris nice and loud and shut my eyes and it was over before I knew it.

Thanks to everyone who sent me nice messages and help. Such a relief to have it over with so quickly, and not have to find a dentist in Leeds. Wahooo! No more nasty tooth pain, hurrah!!!

bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

I kept the teeth, they are huge and make me feel extra brave biggrin ubblol