Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Hi guys and girls,

First let me introduce myself.
I'm a poispinning nut from Holland and have been hooked on it since forever. But I also want to learn the staff and I was wondering if you can give tips on how to make your own practice staff. I'd like to know how to make one that breaks down in like three pieces. If you have any tips I would appreciate it.

Greenthings,
Fuero

P.s. don't mind the grammar mistakes, I'm dutch....

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

I just made another one today, its awsome crome biggrin

Best bet is go buy some aluminum pipe and find another length that fits inside. Then u cut inside part in half. There are alot of ways to connect the halves onto the midsection, sometimes i use bolts but afew times i buy special screws that tap in real nice and solid. Quick release is the go.

Usually for pratice i only use a single length of pipe, or ol skool wood staves. biggrin

Getting the kevlar to stick is the hard part.
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1094264806)

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Ok, cool, I'll try that.
I just want to make a staaf that I can use for praktice and if I get to any respectable level, I'll get a fire staff.

Thanks

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
ok what you do is by three pieces of wood ten buy metal socket claps for the conection. then wala smile

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
rofl @ native! I beleive the word you were looking for is voila.

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
sorry i am american i cant spell ubblol

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
Hello ya'll. I've been looking around the staff forum looking for info on how to make a staff.

My mom would kill me if I took one of her brooms hehe so that one isnt an option for me. However, a friend of mine who is learning staff was told (and is practicing with it currently) that a bamboo ..uhh..whatever it's called staff length would work really well iffen it's straight. Over here we've got lots of bamboo growing quite tall and so I was wondering if I could cut it to the right length and thus have a practice makedo staff????

Input would be MOST appreciated!

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
im no good with making staves.. never tried it.. ive heard of the broom stick idea..bamboo seems a little difficult tho cuz its hollow and will probly bend if you spin it too fast.. id just go to any do-it-yourself shop or something and get a length of round wood.. wrap some tape around the middle tho.. thats a good idea..

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I make my practice stix with steel or aluminium pipe..I tend to get thin pipe though that is all personal prefference. I have found that if you get an old bicycle inner tube and cut it down the centre, then snip it all the way along so that it looks like fringing, you can wrap each end of the stick (where the wicks normally are) in the fringing and it works out to be about the same weight as a fire staff. For a grip I use craft foam wrapped around for the handle, and you can also attach little triangle flags or ribbons as tails and you then have a really nice day-time practice staff to play with biggrin

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
fuero - anything can be used for a practice staff - I've recently discovered the joy of a long peice of newspaper rolled up - makes a great staff in the office smile

broom handles
mop handles
curtain rails
fishing rods
pool cues
tomato stakes
bamboo poles

getting the idea?

anything that's long and straight can be adapted into a practice staff ubbidea

have fun ubbrollsmile

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
Well good news!!

My mom turned out was throwing away one of her brooms so I took the handle and it works really well. Joy! I am on my way to ....uhh...staffdom!

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
try putin a tennis ball on each end for weight

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

580 posts

Posted:
im also making my own doubles in the next few days.. just have some questions..

is it necessary to have a piece of wood inside the metal tubing on either end?
how do i drill the holes for the screws to attacht the kevlar.. attaching it i can do, just need holes first.
what is a good weight for staves that are about a meter long, maybe a tad longer?
can i use tennis racket grip for my grip even if the staff is much thinner than a tennis racket handle?

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
- no, but it helps keep the staff cool and gives you something to screw into

- masking tape an end of the kevlar to the staff, wrap it round nice and tight, tape the end down (folded under itself). Drill through the kevlar into the metal. Put the screws in.

- dunno.

- yup

monkeys ate my brain

580 posts

Posted:
ok, well ive got the holes, wood and grip, all i need to do now is buy some kevlar and wrap it.. and theyre done!! YAY, my first homemade fire toys! WOOHOOOO!! bounce2 bounce2 bounce2