Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i may have to acquire another tent this year. My current model that served me for 5 years on my own and suitable for 2 midgets (I sleep diagonally) now has gained a sheep and unicycle eek

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
But this is pretty Small Sheep

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Me too. I have a tent. It's small and red but fits two people nice and cosy like. biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
miss aimz may be buying a bigger better 4 birth-ish tent before play so she may have room for any tent whores who wish to tent crash smile

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
*bounces* not long now smile

just gotta talk to other boss about getting friday off

back

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
hopefully the hastings spin t-shirts will have arrived by play. they look like this

Non-Https Image Link

'cept mine will say 'Aimée I am wrong' (for i get words and things time the all muddled)
i can represent the hastings posse, and they are not comming with me frown

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I have 5 spaces in my tent. I want tent whores too!

Just expect to be invaded during the day by people wanting to make pretty things, and in the evening by people seeking the infamous sake biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
*Aimée* : Like spoonerisms? (metadiesis) I get that too.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
woohoo i will invade your tent for all those reasons if the weather isn't too good and probably if it is.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
*squeeeeeEEEeeeEEEEeeeeee*

^excited-ness

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
**if you are trying to figure your way to play from london**

just wanted to let you know that a few of us just rented a four door wagon that can fit five people with extra space for random bags of tricks.

for four days (august 19-22) we will pay a total of only 84 pounds. this is unlimited mileage with insurance and vat. do the math. it works out to
21 per day. (and if four people are riding the car it works out to be pretty affordable)

if you book now through expedia.co.uk, the rates are still really great with loads of availability.

looking forward to meeting you all.

xoxoxooxoxox

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I can't wait...Dunc (if your out there) will hopefully see you next thursday in southampton so will give you cash then.
I will be leaving from portsmouth on friday 5.30ish if anyone needs a lift. its long drive so would appreciate company and if your really poor petrol will be even cheaper...free if your REALLY nice to me..anyone wants just PM me in advance
dunno if i can but would only be able to get fri OR monday off..which is best people???

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
frown

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Theres no point in gettin gthe monday off seeing as we have to be off the site by 6.30 on the sunday anyway...I believe.

I too must ask my boss for the time off.....

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thats right, 6PM on Sunday is the closing time.

But there is always a point in getting Monday off, isn't there?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
well..

Fair enough..
I just htought that as it is a relativly short event.....
We wont be that inebrieated/ tired not to return to work the following day... confused

at least thats the way im playing it biggrin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
cheers UCoF. I did wonder if there was anything sunday night.
gives me time to drive home...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

OK so let me catch up here... a year or so Dunc had the idea to make a Festival and now it's happening?

Wicked!
Nice one Dunc!! ubblol clap

thankx Dreams will stay dreams unless you turn them into reality. i'm just glad the idea is going down so amazingly well, there are SOOO many people coming it's almost scary! biggrin

We're thinking about dates for next year too. Does the last weekend in June sound inviting to folks? Seeing as Mr Eavis won't be hosting his usual little gathering of like minded souls ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i've already taken monday off, but i'm sure i can think of constructive ways to use it smile

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
lo i have from the 18th till the 5th of lots of recovert time oh i do have a smell matter of reading festival to go to though

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
this is my holl

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
this sat shall look in calender and confirm the dates I have off for when I was going to go to Scotland. Have a sneeky suspicion I don't have the saturday of play off..

miss aimz is going to pull a sickie ubbangel

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ubblol naughty! spank

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
what? *looks innocent*
tongue

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
*Isn't fooled by innocent face that he's used a million times before*

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Yes I am obsessed before you ask, but it’s so much fun and I love to do it at every opportunity……. So fancy dress at Play? Who is going to join me? biggrin bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
This person blantely:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

Gayle.....!

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
i should have some spare tent space for any homeless HoPpers
just pm me.....
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
*Still isnt going at the mo* xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
spank sort it out vix!

no-one ever asks me to juggle other than you - i could well end up at play and forget to do any playing if you're not there... frown wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ......