Forums > Social Chat > Dealing with children hecklers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Seems that during the last few performances we've done, there's at least a few obnoxious kids (7-12yrs old) that decide to heckle.

Most of the usual retorts aren't appropriate, or are too rude for kids. Worst still, it's usually the kids that end up putting coins in the hat at the end anyway so we don't want to insult them too much.

So, aside from ignoring them or using them as volunteers, any ideas?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
do ya kiddy research - as a lifelong kid, I can say that relating Dragonballz or harry potter jokes will get them onside.
e.g. "Why did the chicken cross the road?
because it was stapled to Piccolo's forehead."

siempre stupido!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
What kind of heckling are you getting from the kids?

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You could always use the film 'Happy, Texas' for a guide to dealing with kids...

Take them to one side and quietly say 'If you do that again, I'm going to break into your house when you're asleep and cut you up with a chainsaw'.

It probably won't help with the amount of money you take, but it'd be so satisfying

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
or u could just realize that they're
kids, and thats how kids are.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if u take a second to adapt your perception...

I could be wrong though, I'm not sure I understand what u mean by 'Heckling'.

Az abouve, So below...

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Just brainstorming, my first thought when I read this post was to ask them if they want to give it a go themselves...Perhaps have a little think about making your routine flexible so you can fit in the opportunity for people to try it out...not just kids, but maybe some adults will be interested too... and maybe even play a small part in the performance... something along the lines of backing poi performers (as opposed to backing singers!)... doing a simple figure of 8... probably topless is not a good idea with kids!...You may need to have some glow sticks or flouro comet poi handy, for safety reasons, can't really get kids spinning fire... Hmmm.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Could you explain the dynamic? Because it's tough to offer solutions without knowing... Where you're performing, if parents are present, if it's at a kid related event, etc...

I would pull them aside and sternly explain that this is your job and that you need to make money and that they're really messing it up for you. Nicely but very sternly ask them to please not do or say anything, or just to go elsewhere.

If talking to them doesn't work...Confuse them, play them off of each other, embarass them, condesend, or even intimidate them. As long as you don't take it too far, it's all fair.

Kids are looking for boundaries to push. If they can be shown that "the path of least resistance" is to leave you guys alone, they may just realize what's up...

As a teacher I've had my run in with jerk kids. And yes, there are such things. One kid from another school kept showing up at mine and harassing my kids (yelling obsene curses at the girls, etc). I tried many things. I finally tried something drastic. I emptied my wallet and tossed it to him. Then I screamed at the top of my lungs "Help! He's got my wallet!"... The poor kid, realizing that he was already trespassing at our school turned pale, dropped the wallet and ran. I never saw him again. My students still giggle.

Of course, do realize that they are just kids...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
NYC!

Gotta say at first I thought yer post was a little harsh, but that wallet idea iz just to good!

Az abouve, So below...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
yeah same here, but I kinda like that NYC guy

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
When I was doing some firestaff in my local park, for the fundraiser, I had some kids try and hit me with balloons whilst I was spinning!

Non-Https Image Link

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Spin out let your poi cool and then let the kids hit themself in the nuts! It make you feel better and shuts them up!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replies everyone. =)

The particular time that it really got to me/us was general busking/street performance, so that pretty much anyone you'd encounter on the street could stop and watch.

By heckling, I meant general insults from your run-of-the-mill obnoxious brats. Eg. "Go faster", "You're boring", "Go away", and during a slow routine with two female performers, "lesbians". Not too much, but coming from 10-odd kids, it got to us.

I guess my main question is dealing with people who don't follow adult-like logic. Insults, threats, pleading or explaining didn't seem to work.

We'd ask them to stop, they'd get louder.
We scared them by getting up close (still safely) with the fire, and they'd call out "chicken".
We'd involve them (gave them sparklers), they threw them at us. Safties dealt with this promptly thank god.

As much as I'd like to think "kids will be kids", just seems a little -too- much to attribute to general mischeviousness. Hopefully it was just a particularly nasty bunch and it won't happen too often. If so, I'm liking the "Happy, Texas" idea.

[ 12 June 2002, 01:59: Message edited by: emthren ]

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
While I do believe that bad children are merely the product of a bad upbringing, and that no-one iz beyond salvation, I also know that as individuals we havn't the time or energy to save every bad seed we encounter. And while I think that humouring a situation can be a good method, these kids that u decribe sound like little fucks, and I really do sympathize. I've come accross many little bastards like this, they're so difficult to reason with u just wanna kick 'em.
From experience, there's not much u can do about these kind of kids.. exept leave.
The friendlier u get, the more room it seems to give them to walk all over you...
Aah! Sorri 2 put a damper on it!
but do ya git me?

Az abouve, So below...

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
As much as I like to see the light in everything, couldn't agree more DFQ.

maybe one of these as a prop might help

Non-Https Image Link

[ 12 June 2002, 03:35: Message edited by: Spiral ]

the man behind the curtainmember
52 posts
Location: second star on the right and straight on till morn...

Posted:
how about punk rock hecklers...i almost demonstrated the concept of hardcore to a two bit fashion punk i'm spinning fire my devil stix on the unicycle with fire and the little bitch has to talk shit to look cool infront of his freinds...so i put him on the spot of course he declined.. but went on to tell me how i should let him use my gass to throw fire balls at people. just what the fuck.

may you travel far andlive in interesting times.unless you a bhuddist in which case i wish you nothing

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Yis, I hate those punk bitches. what is even worse is the fact that we have name brand anarchy shirts for sale in B.C. Now maybe I missed the point on the definition of Anarchy, but how does it work that you buy the logo off of a store on shirt/sweater for $60. I mean that is just fucking dumb. And on the whole hecklers part. Do what I do : Make up intimidating threats i.e. I am gonna gut you like and eel ( if you don't know how to gut an eel you have to nail it down first and then stick the knife in its ass and cut up) or 'I am gonna use your intestines for making my breakfast sausage. Now I condone violence to a very small degree. But enough is enough. If these people are being fucking assholes, beat them at thier own game.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hmm.
7-10 years old you say...
Have you tried the old responce:

"My dads bigger than your dad."

[ 12 June 2002, 08:00: Message edited by: glass ]

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
Kids r kids..there is nothing u can do about it more or less.. this is totally unfortunate.. I mean if you tell them to buzz off...theyll just grown louder. My suggestion is to not do anything about it cuz no matter how u respond they r gonna do it more and more. As for those punk hecklers...god i hate those dudes they always think their the best stuff in the world n their flawless... man...but i do suppose ignorance is bliss

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I'm with wugaroo on this.The thing with all hecklers is that they are attention seeking (especially children, who think,quite rightly, they are the centre of the universe)and if you don't give them your attention they soon get bored and go away. Any attention you give them is playing their game and will just encourage them to heckle you more.

Are we nearly there yet?

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Definitely ignore them, unless you have the time, inclination and paraffin to follow them home and set their front door on fire.
Or their house pets...........mmmmmm - chargrilled hamster - mmmmmmm

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Now,Now SmallBoy

Wuts this gotta do with the poor likle HammyWammy?

Az abouve, So below...

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, sometimes kids can also be brutally honest...perhaps you might try listening to them... i mean, we do kid's shows all the time, and never had a prob...i'm not saying that the kid wasn't a jerk, but if it happened more than once i would say, maybe there was a lull in your show, and he ripped it out cause he's a brat with no tact. but maybe work on making that part more exciting, etc. kids are the worst critics, they have short attention spans, and if you don't keep the energy up for every moment of the show, you will know it... they don't exactly politely try not to shift in the chair or refrain from clearing their throat. they start talking or throwing food or picking their nose. but if you just wow them the whole time, they shut up. if you can entertain kids, you can entertain any one.
or maybe they were just punk ass kids.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Their particular hamster was walking around with a broomstick and carrying a spell book, rambling muttering of bats wings. In line with ancient tradition it was either burning or drowning.
(Although I've always wondered how far you'd have to go to get stoned to death)
Just an indisciminant Hamster sacrifice for all the other hamsters out there though.
Besides being particularly hurtful and emotionally scarring for the kids to have their hamster burned alive, Hamsters are the symbol of light and happiness for all children which is setting them up to fail in the real world. As a "helping hand" in destroying innocence, youth and misguided ideals I feel that all hamsters should be up 4 brutal and messy exocution in front of all the kiddies that own them.
Question is:- Why do you love them so........?

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
People will love any pet, hampsters are just easier as they are cute and furry and have litle wiggly noses. I had pet snails when I was a kid they were my pride and joy, I used to let them out for exercise every night, but one night I forgot to put them back in their tank and they escaped, except the one my dad trod on. It was very distressing.

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I know that my original posts sounded harsh, but I do deal with kids 185 days of the year. Most of them do need boundaries and with 99% of them logic and respect works well...

But that other 1% used to take up a majority of my energy. Now I know that every kid will react to something... you just gotta find it.

Most of the time, ignoring them works well. Keep in mind that law enforcement will take your word over a kids most of the time as well. If they are making derogatory remarks about sexual orientation that is, technically, a hate crime.

And if you're actually considering putting up with insults and slurs for a few more coins then you've got far bigger problems.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Yis, I love kids though so I say make em appy. Kids are the funnest people IMO. They are more accepting, and they like to play hide-n-go seek. Unlike some of my peers. Hide-n-go seek is fun. And don't hurt the hamsters They are all cute and cuddly and cute and cuddly and I'll shut up now

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I love kids too... I must admit. 11 months out of the year... By June I'm sick of em. I've got one school day left... and then I'll like em again. I promise.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Eden Blazemember
1 post

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
... I finally tried something drastic. I emptied my wallet and tossed it to him. Then I screamed at the top of my lungs "Help! He's got my wallet!"... The poor kid, realizing that he was already trespassing at our school turned pale, dropped the wallet and ran. I never saw him again.
HA! That was beautiful. LOL!

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
The basic problem with hamster mutilation is that hamsters have nervous systems and feel fear and pain. Stuffed toy animals now... no pain, no problem, and just as traumatic for the ghastly little nippers you want to torture...

As for the kid hecklers, perhaps calling a spade a spade:
"You think this is easy? You try it".

"If you don't like it, leave."

"You are interfering with my ability to make a living and with these peoples enjoyment. I do believe that makes you an interfering brat."

"If you chase away my audience, you have to buy me dinner/pay my power bill/pay my car insurance/fix my roof/whatever."

and when they say "Lesbians!", laugh and say "Jealous?"

I dunno, this is a shot in the dark...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I still like the idea of handing them the poi and letting them hit themeselves in the nuts!! Then you run the risk of them stealing your poi!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
quote:
From Ray: I still like the idea of handing them the poi and letting them hit themeselves in the nuts!! Then you run the risk of them stealing your poi!!

Yis, but you also run the risk of the kids sueing you. Then you are fucked. It is just better to tell the parents (if they are around) to keep their child/ren under control. If the kids are old enough, you can also tell them that if the do not cease to harrass you, you will phone the fuzz, and lay charges

Page: