Forums > Help! > Which style of wicks burns longest?

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I'm debating buying a set of fire poi to practice with, and am wondering about one little detail-

Which wicks burn the longest?

I ask because some of the songs I love to dance to are anywhere between 6-10 minutes long- Underworld's "Big mouth" is a good example. It's a long piece, but changes tempo and beat enough to be very interesting for dancing.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
When it comes to burn time - the key factor isn't shape or style of wick - it's simply the size - the bigger they are, the more fuel they can hold, thus the longer they burn.

As to Catherdral vs. Tubular Core vs. Monkey Fist burn times - the answer is in my signature wink

But the key thing is wick size. A slight difference would be noticed by the type of head - the bigger the surface area of wick, the more fuel is burnt in a second (think of how a candle can last for hours as it only burns a tiny bit of the fuel at once) - but the difference between the designs would've be fairly negligible

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
As a side (and someone would say more helpful) comment...

I would be surprised if you can buy any "off the shelf" poi that have that long-a burn time - although I haven't tried the monkey fists.

You might want to look at either custom poi, or buying a set and beefing them up with extra wicking.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Monkey fists go for nearly 10 minutes. They rule.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Those monkey fists are nice, but expensiiive..
I was thinking about the 4" tubal core poi- any idea what the burn time on those is?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Id say the 4" tube cores and the 2.5" cathedrals are very close in flame size and burn time (~5 - 6 mins). Monkey fists have longer burns but smaller flames (~10+ mins). 2.5" tube cores are pretty weak at ~3 - 4 mins.

I have used all of the above except 4" tubes and I prefer cathedrals over all. I love my cathedrals and will probably always use that design.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Compared to the Cathedrals, the 4" Tube Cores are pretty weak, IMO. I have tried every kind of HOP wicking, and I'd have to say I like my Cathedrals the most, followed closely by the Monkey Fists. The monkeys would have top spot, except they are quite heavy, and after only a couple months of use showed more wear than they should have.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
To make sure your wicks burn and last longer soak them, straight after you get them, in fuel for a day; and don't keep them burning after they go out thenselves while you spin - resoak them devil

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im still skeptical about the "soak new wicks for a day" thing cuz I vaguely recall some tests done with no special results.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
umm I dunno, it's just something I read on this site and figured they knew what they were talking about confused

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying