Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
aidan, you poor thing.... it really is the entire length of the country for you isn't it? there's no-where else in ireland that could be further away!

i'm gonna be getting the train & bus up from dublin, going through belfast. but i've no idea yet what time i'll be there, it'll be friday evening-ish anyway.

one thing i'd check out if i were you are the ferry times. i'll post the link to their site in a little while (it's in my hotmail account, and msn is down at the mo) last thing you want is to arrive in ballycastle at 10pm to find it's too late to get to the island. there are locals who bring people over on private boats, but i can't guarantee they'll sail after dark.

clare has a place booked on the 12pm ferry so she's gonna get a spot to camp beside one of the campfires (there are designated campfires in the field, lighting your own fire willy nilly is not allowed)

will get back to you with that link asap....... hug

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
right, here's the info for the ferry:

www.calmac.co.uk

tel: 0044 28 2076 9299

here's some numbers for speedboats in case the last ferry has left:

Endorsed Boats. (Please remember to say you got the contact for the private boats from the Force10 site when booking)

Seatrek Contact Adrian on 0044 7980596744.

MV. Miss'B'Haven. Contact Dan on 0044 7766577256

getting really excited now bounce2

-------------------------------

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep, that's the plan, hopefully!!

I'm booked on the ferry out at 12pm Friday, and back 11am Monday (I'm working on Monday afternoon so it's going to be tight).

This means I can get over and set stuff up near a fire (and reserve a couple of spaces, if I can).

I'm not sure how I'm going to get up to Ballycastle yet, I don't like the idea of having to drive home again on Monday when I'll be shattered, but unless I can bribe my mother for a lift there's no alternative.

Anyways, you guys should check out www.translink.co.uk/ - which is the website for all train and bus travel (you'll need the NI railways or Ulsterbus section, or use the journey planner)

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
I'm off to find a tent
xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
okay, i've booked my flight and im arriving in belfast at nine o clock in the morning on friday. Will i be in time time to travel up with you Claire?

Havent booked a ferry i'll try for the 12 o clock one. i have two 2 people tents. im travelling up alone so any and all will be welcome to crash in either.

i've booked my flight home for monday night at 19;00

i didnt even tell work yet, this is all rather exciting

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
aidan, you'd be mad to bring 2 tents. get your priorities right, i mean, you've 12-16 litres of fuel to carry haven't you...? wink

i suggest we drink buckfast. i know it's rotten but it's rocketfuel and will take up much less space than 12 tinnies ubbloco

i'm bringing a little primus, a pot and a little frying pan, so we can cook one thing at a time. i'll be bringing some dried noodles, linda mc cartny sausages, bread, cheese, and fruit. that's it on the food front, unless you've any recommendations.....

bring something to swim in, and a towel coz there's a beautiful big lake that we can swim in if it's not too cold.

can anyone else think of anything important?

the only thing that will be available on site will be running water, and it's from a well on the island so it's yummy to drink.

aidan, don't forget cellotape ubblol

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'll have you know that my tents pack up up nice and small and i am a big strong boy so i can carry eveything in the world tongue. okay maybe i'll just bring one. the other one is Fraueleins anyway smile but if anyone needs a lone of a tent or wants to share they are welcome.

i will bring some food (buckfast? site says no glass,...) and some beers.

i will also bring cellotape, scissors, a scewdriver and a piece of string.

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
and Nivea wipes for your fairy soft hands wink

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
believe me, everyone will be drinking buckfast ubbloco beerchug ubbloco

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
cool, maybe we could just use the buckfast fir fuel too, that stuff is lethal

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Is anyone from Dublin planning on getting the bus up on Friday? I am, but it's looking like a very long journey - leave dublin at 10am, and arrive (eventually, after changing buses twice and then getting the ferry....) on Rathlin Island at around 8pm. Anyone else want company for the ten hour trek?

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edited because im not sure if it made any sense*

*it definatly doesnt now* ubblol

EDITED_BY: ado-p (1091021559)

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hiya helen,

a friend of mine may be driving up (clodagh - the girl i was telling you about who's going to burning man with your group) but she's thinking about heading up on thursday instead. if she's going on friday i'll ask if there's room, but if she's going on thursday, then i'll be getting the bus on friday too, so i'll come along with you. i don't think it'll take 10 hours though. if we take the 8am bus from busaras we should be in ballycastle by 1.30 according to this

Lisa

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
True enough, but then we have to wait 3 hours for the next ferry (unless we get one of the private thingys) according to this:
https://www.calmac.co.uk/summer-rathlin-island-timetable.html

So basically, it'll take a while. And i'd be very glad of the company, if it's available wave

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
forgot about the ferry times rolleyes we went over in a speedboat last year. they take 12 people. i'm sure we wouldn't have to wait too long for 10 more people to show up at the harbour....

i'm getting really excited now. i'm already busy deciding what NOT to bring, coz the less clutter, the more room for extra fuel devil weavesmiley devil

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
iI just booked my ferry ticket for 12 o clock on friday, all the sailings after that are booked up....

oh what fun

Love is the law.

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to say Hello (Aidan made me... wink), just registered!
Am not sure if I am coming to Rathlin. Would love to but it all depends on my boss's (that can't be right) mood.....

SARAH

"I see," said the blind man.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello again sarah wave

right then, if all the ferries are full, then there'll be no need for sitting around waiting for hours for the next one. speedboat it is then biggrin

helen i'm trying to see if i can sort out some transport for us. there's one or two maybe's at the moment. but failing that i wouldn't mind taking the 8am bus and arriving by lunchtime.....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh god.
Buckfast... there are songs written about that stuff.

I might just stick to my trusty vodka and bring up mucho juice and cola (to be honest, I prefer to smoke than drink...).

I'll also be bringing up loads of food... because I hate being hungry.

And I'll also bring up about 12 litres of fuel... because I can (easier transport) and because we'll need it.

It'd be great if I could borrow that extra tent Aidan... thanks again for that, and I'll pick you up at the city airport on the way through to Ballycastle.

Ok, thats all for now folks
xx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ahem, sorry if that post seemed totally out of place... I didn't realise we had run onto two pages now smile

Well, it's going to be great to see everyone up there... heheheheh...

Good luck and happy travelling smile

xx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh, btw, I asked one of the organisers about holding a kindof poi workshop for people who want to learn... he's up for it, so could everyone bring their practise poi and sock poi?!
thanks muchly smile

284 posts

Posted:
Yay, flight & ferry booked bounce
So Clare.... would you give me a lift aswell? ubbangel

SARAH

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Workshop, yay!

Young firepoise, you are well and truly the bomb.

hug bounce2

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, course I will Sarah, no problems at all... the more the merrier smile

Aidan, aw, thanks. But 'young' may be pushing it slightly ubblol
Anyways, I offered to teach people stuff (which I would be anyways), and the organisers offered space - hopefully it'll bring all the spinners together in one area.

Btw, do I need to buy a tent now?!!! redface
xx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Btw, can I just say Helen/Rosmerta that is a funky-as-hell avatar!!!
clap

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yer grand, we'll manage, sarah can crash in my tent and you'll still have a roof over yer little head. wink

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
lads, i've a 2-man tent also...... so unless i get lucky..... hmmm......family board, bad Lisa, bad! spank biggrin

there'll be loads of room. and besides, sleeping at these things is so irregular that it's unlikely all of us will be sticking to a set 'bedtime'....

still haven't managed to find transport Helen, but i'm working on it and will let you know if anything turns up.

aidan, i contacted the organisers about a place to buy fuel in ballycastle. they said there's a co-op in the town that stocks parrafin. i think it's just called the 'co-op'. i'm gonna bring as much as i can carry anyway, as there are lots of people heading to the island on thursday and i'd die if they were sold out.

this time next week we'll be on our way..... devil weavesmiley bounce2 weavesmiley devil

Edit: just a wee bit of advice.... clare you were talking about bringing 12 litres of fuel. just so you know, when you arrive on the island it's an hours walk (3 miles) to the field where the festival is held, and it's mostly uphill. (there is a local who runs a minibus up and down but it only seats 24, so there's no guarantee you'll get a seat when so many arrive off the ferry at the same time) just so you know, 12 litres will be very heavy.....
EDITED_BY: Fabergé (1091174375)

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Thanks Lisa, i'm trying to convince people to give us a lift too. No success yet, but i'll let you know if i have any joy.

I reckon that buying fuel before getting to Ballycastle may be the way to go, because many camp stove type things use parafin, kerosene etc, so they may well sell out in the co-op.

thankx And thanks to Clare for complimenting my avatar, which i stole off the net, and had no part in creating whatsoever....

Helen_of_Poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... well, well, I didn't think the Co-op sold fuel (it's kindof like Tesco's or a foody Dunnes), but maybe they do in Ballycastle. smile

I'm going to bring the fuel anyways - cos it would kill me to run out (also, I'll be driving it right up to the port, so I only have to worry about the island).

The organisers told me the bus would be running and also 'maybe I could charm a local to take me up', so I'm going to rely on that strategy - I don't mind leaving my stuff on the bus and walking up after it (this is the reason I decided to go up earlier, to make sure I would be able to get everything to the site)

Anyways, I'm sure something will work out
Take care
xx

284 posts

Posted:
And I remember you are giving two others a lift that can help you carry the fuel to the site... smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hug wasn't trying to put you off or anything, just advising everyone of the fairly steep trek. it's perfectly do-able though. and the mini-bus drives up and down all day, so if your gear is heavy and you wanted to sit and wait for a bit, the bus would be back down in a half hour or so. the minibus is £2.

i even dreamt about rathlin last nite.... is that sad or what? ubblol

------------
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely

Page: ...