Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
If ou'se girlys are going to be all painted up and stuff im not sure i want to be the only one in a suit.....

maybe i'll get painted up too... hmmm

yellow, somebody please paint me yellow

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Got contacted just there by one of the Burning Man lads who's organising the shindig tomorrow night. He suggested that instead of doing the fire from 8 til 10 to add atmosphere as punters arrive, we could instead move it to later.

We could do it at around 11, and it would be a timetabled part of the night, so that people would come outside for 15 to 30mins and watch, or view it through the big windows from inside.

I said i'd put it to the vote. My feelings on it are that it would be darker, thus better, and it's for a shorter, more intensive time, so it would need to be more of a "show", if you know what i mean. A bit more organised/co-ordinated like. I don't mind which happens in the end, but if we do decide to go for the latter, one of the guys drumming for us lives just round the corner from the venue, and has a courtyard where we could put some moves together. But it might just add a load of pressure and be a pain in the ass.

Or for option (c), we could have a later, shorter, disorganised show. (and just spend more time earlier drinking or painting each other blue/yellow seeing as that seems to be the theme of the day)

No pressure, whatever is decided overall is grand, but what do ye think?

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'm for dissorganisation and painting aidan yellow biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Sounds Great Helen

I'm all excited now!!!!

A little organisation would be good, doesnt mean we have to have a routine for our individual fire, but an order of appearence, space to work in, speed of music, build up and climax would go a long way to a good performance.

a

*edited to include the desire to be painted yellow*
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1092404273)

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
why yellow? umm

i suppose it beats hell outta that green colour i remember from friday night/saturday morning ubblol (i know i was the same colour, or worse, i'm just giggling to myself here remembering it all)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Dunno, yellow was the first color that came into my head. now that you've reminded me ofthe color of us last week i think i migh have just gone off it.

Orange and black tiger stripes might be cool....

I like the idea of swirly celtic patterns too

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
if you take your top off i'll paint swirly celtic patterns all over you biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

You think you and the other girls will be able to control yourselves?

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
absolutely not.....

scared yet??? biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
scared, no...

aroused, a little....

Love is the law.

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, at least you'll have a big flamey stick to fend us off with...spank

ubbtickled

So is later on and vaguely organised and some mixture of swirly blue and yellow the consensus then?

Sounds like a plan (at least it's good enough for me!) peace

Helen_of_Poi

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yeh, vaguely organised and later in the eve sounds like the way to go.

though we can still meet early, 7ish if you like. i'm free the whole day so any time is good. earlier might even be an option, if we have the time and the weather's good we could meet at the green and have a bit of a practice.....

and aidan i promise to be gentle with you....... wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ok, im off now, im getting the nine o clock train in the morning, be in dublin at twelve to go do a bit of shopping.

See you all soon

I sent text mesages to eveyone i know in dublin to come along, Didnt tell anyone the price of the ticket thouhg smile

Also texted Kelly and Vanessa. I'm bringing a fire blankett, band aids and burn gel, just in case i go on fire.

Love is the law.

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I'll actually have a fire blanket, burn spray and gel dressings with me if you don't want to carry that stuff up on the train. You might just want to bring protection from Lisa instead. Sounds like you might need it....

Meeting up earlier could be an option, and we could put something together in the park, or just mess around. Should be able to get us some free food in the venue too, so probably still a good plan to head there for around 7.

Ticket price is kind of negotiable as well. we can't really go below 20 or we make a loss, but it depends on who's asking what the price is to be honest.

Will give ye a bell tomorow anywho

Helen_of_Poi

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
right, i just spoke to kelly. he said he'd like to come along, but i'll ring him tomorrow to make sure. he's a poet (just won a major comp too!) percussionist (can bring along all manor of drummy stuff) and has recently took up poi.

so we're on for another action packed weekend biggrin

i love my life ubblove

see you all tomorrow hug

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I suspect i met Kelly before sometime. Excellent. The more the merrier! weavesmiley devil grouphug devil weavesmiley

Helen_of_Poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello m’luvelies,

Hope you all had a marvellous time last night… and that you all played safe and had lots of fun smile

Thanks to a very long text message conversation with Aidan (ubblol), I know you were all great, especially Lisa, who was (as always) marvellous…

I was out with my friends last night and was incredibly drunk. I staggered home. Swaying. In high heels. Nice. It was one of those nights when you look out from under half-closed eyelids and say things like ‘Eve (my best mate), yer boyfriendsss an a**hole’. redface

Ahem. But, on the plus side, it was a funny night and I don’t feel too bad today, so it’s all good. Am still pissed off I missed the body painting and party though biggrin

So take care, hope you’re all feeling sparkly today umm(I find an orange ice lolly cures all hangovers)… and I’ll definitely be there for the next one smile

Love Clare xoox

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'd like to extend a huuuuge big fluffy warm thank you to everyone who showed up on saturday, i had the time of my life!!

thanks so much helen for inviting us, and thanks to kelly and the other drummers for the amazing sounds hug

despite the initial nerves, i really feel that was my best ever burn. spinning barefoot to the sound of the djembe is definitely the way forward. i quite liked the whole woad look too biggrin (there's still some blue paint on my back that i haven't quite managed to get at yet)

glad you had a fun nite too clare. can't quite imagine you staggering home in high heels. in fact, i can't even imagine you in high heels at all eek

and thanks for the party too helen hug

and thanks aidan for letting me paint you biggrin tribal tats really suit you.

and thanks sarah for taking pics, can't wait to see them ubbrollsmile

i met up with kelly yesterday and we met this amazing french djembe player who was looking for some people to hook up with during his 3 week stay in ireland. kelly had 2 djembes in his van, so needless to say we went out for a spin on the street, in the rain, it was great. this guy really rocked!! we're meeting him again on tuesday, he's gonna come along and do some more drumming at the poetry thingy that kelly & his mate do in brogans.

ok, talk to ya all later....

hug Lisa

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much to everyone who helped out, Lisa and Aidan were great, everyone was really impressed. The body art was really cool.

Much appreciation is also due to our excellent rhythm section, Aidan (the other one), Kelly, Chris and Ben, it was so much fun to spin to good beats biggrin Thanks also to Fräulein, Vanessa and Laura for moral support, and Cian the suitably dressed (in his "do not set yourself on fire" t-shirt!) safety guy who's services with the fire blanket luckily we didn't need.

And thanks to the lads at the party afterwards who in return for fuel plied me with alcohol until well after sunrise

beerchug

I have so many photos that i haven't even seen them all yet, but i will pass them on as soon as i have time, and as soon as the hangover abates.. ubbangel

Hope to see some of you tomorrow evening by the Pav in Trinity for juggling club, in the meantime, be good,

Helen

hug

Helen_of_Poi

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
It was a pleasure Helen, anytime...

Lookin forward to seeing the photos.

Big thankyou to everyone, painters and drummers alike...

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I just got the photos back from saturday night.

There amazing, Helen and Lisa look amazing. So do i for a change (you cant see my funny faces).

Thankyou Sarah, well done!!!!

a

xx

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
bounce yippee!!! bounce

can you scan them in and mail them to me, even a few? i'd love to see what the paint looks like smile i don't think i can wait until you get back from the states......

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Ok children,

I'm out of here, will be thinkin of all you of while im shakin my ass state side. Take it easy ya'll

will give negatives to sarah, we can get em on a cd then and share the love.

See you all soon...

a

Love is the law.

lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Safe trip Aidan, see you when i get back, whenever that is...good luck!

bye hug

Helen_of_Poi

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
'ullo!
the martin has landed on the west coast, just got into San Francisco last night after a full days worth of travel ( two buses, a boat, two planes and a long taxi ride) and apparently my body thinks that its fine to just give me four hours of sleep!
'Snot fair I tells ya!! ubbloco

Glad to here that everything went well on saturday sounds like much fun was had, cant wait to see the photos,
Martin

Ps. see you soon helen ;-)

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Hello, first I wanted to tell you: of course I had a great weekend as well. Thanks a lot again Lisa for accomodation - while we were snoozing away all comfy this poor girl had to sleep on the couch in foetal position... hug

The other thing is I am currently uploading the pics soooo.... check my gallery out!! smile I have to admit... they came out pretty well. Especially Lisa's pic: one hell of a fire ball - you danced like a goddess that night... wink And now my gallery is already full (stupid reward system frown) We can copy the photo-cd's and send them to everyone that is interested....

SARAH
EDITED_BY: Fräulein (1092779534)

"I see," said the blind man.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello again... Martin and Helen, hope you two have a great time at Burning Man, be safe and bring back lots of cool stories biggrin

Sarah... hope your presentation went well and everyone was suitably impressed sunny I'm glad the photos turned out well... looking forward to seeing those...

And Aidan, have a marvellous time in New York... hope you meet lots of spinny types and bring back many new moves weavesmiley

Anyways, take care y'all...
love and suchlike
Clare xoxo

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
thank you so much for posting the pics sarah, they look really good smile the only other fire pics i have are the ones in my gallery and they're my very first fire shots and they're not that good. could i get the negatives off you to make some copies, or else could you burn them onto a disc for me? if that's not too much trouble.....

helen & martin, have an absolute fab time at burning man!! you may run into my brother ian, if you do say hi for me wave and i might even see you off over the other side of the globe somewhere next year smile

aidan, have a wonderful time in NY. i might even teach you the reverse btb weave when you get back nana

clare, are you still coming down for the roots on monday? i completely forgot about it until i was on the bus this morning and passed a poster. i don't have a ticket yet, must get one this evening.

went in to the trinity juggling club last nite. was good craic. vanessa came along too. this little kid who's only being doing poi a few weeks taught me a really neat way of starting the btb weave (doesn't that make you sick?) so i almost have it nailed perfectly biggrin

then afterwards i met up with kelly & mehdi the french drummer and went up to grafton st for a spin. that french guy sure can drum. you should have seen his hands, they were full of calluses from 8 years of practice. we're gonna meet up again for a proper long nite of it before he goes back. really looking forward to that one smile

later.... peace
Lisa

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Hey Lisa,

I'll burn the CD's and send them to you (just pm me your address, no problem at all wink)
I am building my own little funny website at the mo: https://uk.geocities.com/sarahgoesireland/
It's loads of work to resize the pics and stuff so be patient wink I'll try to upload more photos tonight (especially some from Rathlin!).

And btw: my presentation was okay Clare, had a massive headache so I couldn't really concentrate... anyhow it's over now and I am save for another 5 weeks ubblol

Okay babes, got some work to do frown
SARAH hug

"I see," said the blind man.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello ladies,

Yep, those pics look funky... well done Sarah - and glad you got through the presentation... it all seems much too stressful ubblol

Lisa, jeez missus, you're doing sooo much spinning - nice one... I should get off my lazy ass and do more practice also. And you're nailing the btb weave - fair play, I was spinning for about a year and a half and it took me a full frustrating week of obsessive, painful practice before I got that one. Stretches your shoulders, eh?!! Glad to hear all is funky with the drummers biggrin

Anyways, I'm still coming down to the Roots next Monday - I should let work know...
But I'll get it sorted next week, I'm not working much and my parents are going to be in Canada (peace, quiet and bliss)... am really looking forward to it ubblol

Take care
Love Clare xo

Page: ......