Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks Paul smile

Welcome back ubblol

Ermmm... not sure what you mean... you think Ruth should download mac software onto a uni computer, then convert it and post it on yousendit?

Is that possible?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey norde!

Can you reccomend any online tutorials for final cut?

Ruth is using this software to edit her project and isnt really up on the details.

smile

Love is the law.

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FurryPurple

Thanks Paul smile

Welcome back ubblol

Ermmm... not sure what you mean... you think Ruth should download mac software onto a uni computer, then convert it and post it on yousendit?

Is that possible?

ok... i musta missed some of the posts in this 60+++page thread eek
if shes on a Uni computer that could be a tuffy, they not always happy about peeps puttin their own software on it - MACs come with iMovie on them, she could certainly edit it and save it down a decent size to send to you, then you could convert it to mp4 ?? ... i can help you girls out anyway

Love me when i least deserve it... cause that is when i need it the most

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
post deleted

Love is the law.

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Hey norde!

Can you reccomend any online tutorials for final cut?

Ruth is using this software to edit her project and isnt really up on the details.

smile

final cut pro... hmmmm, i might have a video workshop for it at home... i got soo many for other GFX applications i can't remember what all i have now confused https://www.lynda.com/
were always the best i found

but if your looking FREE online resources you could try google... plenty in there, a quick look came up with this

hope this helps...... but i'll see if i got a cd rom with anyfing on it for ya

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Phew you leave for a week and look what you miss........anywho wont get internet in my new flat till next wekk....grrrrrrrrrrrr but if anyones going t othe cresent see you sat hug

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
thanks norde...

its not really for me. ruth is on a mac and is using final cut... i had a quick look on google but i cant tell the difference between a good and bad tutorial with mac stuff... though i heard final cut is the mac daddy of vid software... the only thing is the footage will be nowere near dvd quality if it gets compressed too much...

elo tainted smile found your firehands tongue if you want them back you must deposit 1 million, no 1 BILLION dollars in a safe deposit box of our choosing:

*evil laugh*

ubblol

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hey thats mean....my poi there too???? heard i missed a goond night of drunken sillyness when i left...... i almost got on the wrong train almost ended up in cork........ when you 2 gettin your asses up here

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.

Thanks for looking into this Paul and Aidan... your help is muchly appreciated cos I really can't take anything else on right now... eek

We need to keep the resolution as high as possible...

Colleen... we shall see you there on Saturday...

Take care
x

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

thanks norde...

its not really for me. ruth is on a mac and is using final cut... i had a quick look on google but i cant tell the difference between a good and bad tutorial with mac stuff... though i heard final cut is the mac daddy of vid software... the only thing is the footage will be nowere near dvd quality if it gets compressed too much...

elo tainted smile found your firehands tongue if you want them back you must deposit 1 million, no 1 BILLION dollars in a safe deposit box of our choosing:

*evil laugh*

ubblol

your right about the compression - but you gotta think of what format its going to be used for.... is it for DVD production ? or circulation on the web ??

if its for DVD - then basically forget about compression .....

personally the way i like to work is keep everything best quality right down to the final mix - then you can use this as a master copy and reel off any format under the sun wink

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
SEe you sat.....(im beginning to think i have no life outside of circusy things.....Mmmmmmmmmmm)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Sounds good...

biggrin

I'm not sure if it will go into the DVD itself, cos that footage is all being taken with BBC cameras, and anything less will probably stick out.

(Again, we're doing UV filming in Belfast this weekend... so if anyone wants to come play, come on up)

The DJC footage will definitely be going on the website... and maybe the dvd, if it's up to it. I'm hoping to use a mix of Aidan and Ruth's footage for that one.

smile

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:

Hmmm.

Thanks for looking into this Paul and Aidan... your help is muchly appreciated cos I really can't take anything else on right now... eek

We need to keep the resolution as high as possible...

Colleen... we shall see you there on Saturday...

Take care
x

no hassles for a true nerd like me biggrin its what i do

if she has bucket loads o this stuff, then honestly its best if she either sends you the original data on DVD for you to edit - or let her edit it and post you a FINAL master DVD to work from

you could be lookin at up to 4.5gb of data on a DVD, and that aint to easily zipped about the internet without gettin into more techno stuff

good old snail mail could be your best option here
rolleyes

ok ...home times ... woooooot woooooooooo !!! my day at work is done now

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Well i think that is about as far as i can go with the mac stuff... nice one for the input norde. i may be wrecking your head in the futur ( im thi king of buying a mac...)

What day are you filming Furry? Is there room for us smile?

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... so does that mean I won't be able to get the footage til she edits it in May?

Poo.

Oh well, all advice and help still greatly received and appreciated.

Filming Saturday afternoon Adoop... but you should be having fun in Galway biggrin biggrin

And there's always room...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i dont doubt it.. but you know me.. camera whore all the way smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I'd be in Galway, given the choice rolleyes

smile

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:

Hmmm... so does that mean I won't be able to get the footage til she edits it in May?

Poo.

Oh well, all advice and help still greatly received and appreciated.

Filming Saturday afternoon Adoop... but you should be having fun in Galway biggrin biggrin
And there's always room...

could you ask her to put what she has onto a CD/DVD and post it to you ?
that way you can extract bits and bobs and get up onto the interweb biggrin

im sure u or Lisa know someone that could lend a hand wink ubbangel

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Thanks hug

K, I'll give her a ring...

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Oh My Flute, I leave the Forum for a few hours and its become technical HELL !!! I have about two gigs on my portible hard drive..... Pretty useless maybe, But if its needed, its there for who ever... : ) Furry, your an absolute ANGel : ) i shall see you in a week !!! Hope the filming goes great... I wish i could go up for a spin this weekend...I do love UV, you can be much more adventurous under those junky ligths and not have to worry bout burning yourself !!!

Met up with Gasoline today, Lovely girl : )

Where ever any one is this weekend En joy yourselves and play safe kids !!!

Lots of affection CAm

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug

Take care m'lovely... see you soon x

AkashlaBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
Has anyone on here ever gone to Burning Man?
If so, how on earth did you get there?

Assume that my geographical awareness is pathetic, and that my map-reading skill is worse.

Im sure i remember a few people talking about it last Summer, and im going this year, but i'm not sure how.

Specifically, which airport would be best to go to, and is a car essential or is there public transport...

I am not a bitch.
I am THE bitch.
And Im Miss Bitch to you.

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Akashla

Has anyone on here ever gone to Burning Man?

If so, how on earth did you get there?

Assume that my geographical awareness is pathetic, and that my map-reading skill is worse.

Im sure i remember a few people talking about it last Summer, and im going this year, but i'm not sure how.

Specifically, which airport would be best to go to, and is a car essential or is there public transport...

ask the lurvly faberge ubbloco she was there last year biggrin

ooOOOOooo i'd soooo love to go, always fancied it.... and after listening to fab' talk about it makes me wanna go even more

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
About Burning Man - I went the year before last. Myself and Squarefish basically just flew to San Francisco and hoped for the best. We posted on the forum on the BM website that we needed a ride, and we got one, no problem through that.

You do need your lift to have a lot of space though (ours had an RV) - remember you need ALL of your water, food etc, which takes up a lot of room!

Am jealous, would love to go back...

Kick some ass in the Thunderdome for me.

Aah memories...

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Whooo hooo!!

that is all

Love is the law.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, a flying visit! hug

[Old link]

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
charity busking in templebar square on thursday 13th. fire and drumming. come one come all. we'll have a mad auld laff, just like last year.. this summer its gona be more regular.

come one come all!!! lets make it a big one!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

varukaBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
HI PEOPLE

i'm really dumb and i play with fire and play with my balls...clubs...

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
come out to temple bar square on thursday Varuka, and we'll introduce ya to the dublin fire community!, did u write an introduction thread here??

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Anyone got contact details for Martin, I can't remember his hop name to PM him... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Page: ......