GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
I've just read the current fire fan threads and am consequently inspired! After reading about the moves and viewing the links to the various websites I've gotta get hold of a pair and start playing ubbloco.

I'm set to make my own but first I need to bounce some ideas around - does anyone foot spin with fans? If the fan design incorporates a number of circles this must be possible. Contact fan - is there such a thing? Don't want to get bogged down by the terminology - by contact I mean in the same context as contact staff as opposed to twirly "normal" staff.

Any other ideas floating around please let me know. As for style of movement I have to say that I am bored with people doing martial art stuff with poi, staff and the like - much prefer grace. Is there any traditional fan dancing done by blokes? If not I'll just have to drink more beer and learn belly dancing.

beerchug

EDITED_BY: Gelfling (1090324864)

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
dunno how 'traditional' it is, but I use fans. Regarding 'contact' fans, one of the girls in our troupe does rolls(using fixed fans) across wrists, elbows, hands, etc and is workin on neck rolls. I can't really see any foot work with fans, but chances are someone has tried it wink Throwing/tossing fans is used in traditional asian fan dancing, done very gracefully, very beautiful

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
The best thing about fans is not many people twirl them so it's a lot easier to develop your style.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys,

right I've made the skeleton. And so I've had a play and I am finding that keeping hold of them is a tricky art. Any pointers? Please!!!

>I'm optimistic.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Pic of my design is as follows:

https://uk.geocities.com/ummgelfling

then click on the fire fan design - can't seem to get it work by adding the direct link.

I based the design on fire fan picture I have already seen as well as on discraft frisbees. Each of the circles are 27cm in diameter so it total the length of the fans are over 60cm (over 2' ). I've gone for finger wicks as this will allow for more freedom should I become good enough to spin the fans using any of the circles. I've got poi style weave sussed as well as the corkscrew. However, changing from one move to another is tricky. Its when I try additional spins, i.e. when none of my fingers are hooked round when things get a bit iffy.

>I'm optimistic.

1,148 posts

Posted:
Interesting design, I can see why you're having problems holding onto it eh. Fans are pretty heavy and unwieldy without proper handles, For us, we run the spines straight from the wicks down to the handle so we can run our fingers through each of the spines. Gives you better control over the fans when doing doing some of the moves, allows better plane control, and enough control to stop suddenly for the 'dancier' type moves. Took a few revisions to get the weight and feel that worked for us tho. You welded these together yet?

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Nah - not yet. Am still experimenting. I thought that they would handle like staffs - but they're something quite different! Weight isn't a problem as yet. And now I'm getting use to them the transition problem is decreasing. Will let you know how it all progresses.

>I'm optimistic.

1,148 posts

Posted:
we should start some sort of a list of moves, at least for some of reference point

Ars Pyronomica

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
good idea!!! As a new thread?

>I'm optimistic.

1,148 posts

Posted:
yep, definitely..I can start it later on tonight if I'm not to schnooked after the Black Sun Empire sho, unless you feel like it sooner wink

Ars Pyronomica

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
I've added some smaller "finger" circles (comfortable for 2 fingers) and wow, so much easier. A few more adjustments and then I'll be welding, . Cheers for all your advice.
EDITED_BY: Gelfling (1090432457)

>I'm optimistic.