The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I know that teaching POI can be hard, but how do you teach a child??!? My daughter is 5 (Cyanne) and she wants to learn how to spin fire. (obviously I have NOT let her try fire, we started with glowsticks). I have a hard time showing my adult friends (all 3 of them) how to do a weave....and I my-self am still learning.....so any ideas on how to teach a 5 year old PLEASE PLEASE post them............Thanx help

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
mimicry, patience, e-nun-ciation.

most of all, infection of funness must be throughout the sesh!
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1089175569)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I would think that teaching a child who wants to learn is easier than teaching an adult actually.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
I'd say give them some poi with small or no tails and let them play!Also,show them the concept of parallel circles(on either side) and butterfly is good cos they can get good effects and it's got a cool name(to a 5 year old!)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I'd second the whole "Kids are easier to teach" thing.

Their brains are in learn-mode and easily susceptible to new and purrrdy things smile

Just keep it fun, and if they start to get frustrated - stop for a bit

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Teach kids haha iv learnt more off kids than anyone biggrin Just give them some poi and watch the carnage. After awhile its eaiser to go indepth with style and moves. But all kids are different though as long as they are having fun your winning smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Put some music on and let them dance with them is good.
Sometimes a single poi with nice long tails is good and not so many tangle problems.
Surveyor tape is cheapo colurful tails that it doesnt matter if they get ripped wet or chewed by the dog as you just cut more. Tails cost may 30c a go here by using that tape.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

psycho44BRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
I have six kids and they all spin poi. When they first started I showed them the butterfly and forward and backward circles. Then I left it up to them and occasionally they will ask me to show them a move and I just slow it down and do it over and over until they are ready to try it themselves.

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
at glasto this year custom taught a 3 yr old poi!!! the kid rocked. poi kids are ace. every child should have poi off santa!!!

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
As far as the fire goes the youngest in my group is a very mature 12 year old (lea). I taught her and her mother strict fire safety first then let her light up. She was already an accomplished poier so the fire was an easy step.

I would not suggest too much youger than that for fire though, they need to be able to understand the dangers and respect the responsibilities to themselves and others.

(Theres a picture of her in my gallery. wink )

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the input, i think i have a few ideas on how to teach her now......keep the sugestions comeing though, i need ALOT of help (just ask my wife and therapist ;-).....
p.s. i have not started her on fire yet, i have to agree with cody, its not safe for her yet.....just glow-sticks and a home made tailed set......

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too