Forums > Social Discussion > signature style (pissed off rant)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
This is not normally like me...
I am really protective of arsn and I was soooo pissed off last night as I watched a young twirler who is admitttedly quite good twirl in front of a crowd, and do arsns exact routine... exact, down to the handstands with the staff etc..

I know this is my ego coming in to play and i will admit that openly but I was a bit taken aback, espically when he turned to me and was saying that he is going to learn "troy poi"
I turned to him and said, " maybe you should learn your own style? that then makes it your signature style"
He kinda looked at me like yeah whatever...

Arsn seems to not be concerned by it, just a bit quiet when the twirler is doing it the rountine

Yeah I know it must be a compliment cause the spinner was saying how great arsn is at poi and stuff but I was kinda steaming because we have been trying for so long to set oursleves apart from the particular styles of the coast, so that we can start a troupe and this spinner is openly saying he is going to be troy... rarararararahhhh 'identity crisis'

The crowd was all around him going "oh your so great," and some of them turned to me and were like "oh troy spins just like that guy" ... I was like, "no troy has spun like that for years, that guy is doing troys routine.."

I think the thing that pissed me off the most is when the spinner turns to another spinner and was all like..." just come down here and copy what you see, the crowd loves it"

arsn taught this spinners friend most of what he knew, so that they may do an exchange with tricks, cause arsn is open with stuff like that and loves to teach and be taught... we have been lucky enough to be taught by people like bluecat, bam bam Kevin and also the fraggles, but it was an exchange not just openly copying other twirlers... (cept with Bluecat cause I mean its not like we can teach the twirly master anything new, he just blew our minds) smile

I know that moves dont 'belong' to people and thats not what Im on about here, just the guy admitting that he was going to BE TROY... wtf?

I suppose that it gives troy a reason to get even better too...

I also acknowledge that this spinner is good. I would never take that away from him, and he is quite a lovely person, I dont dislike him... I just dont understand... mad2 soapbox

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the only time it's cool to completely imitate is Elvis Impersonation. and even then, they have to be wearing pants.
for the children.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
ahahaha! nice n dirty their bender, you ain't nuthin' but a hound-dawg-a. (god i'm lame)

- Klay-man

FunkFishWatch out as ultimate Cute and Funkyness arives...
191 posts

Posted:
well actualy we all imitate each other.... bit by bit.... i started poi when i saw my collegue(?) do it... wel i immitated her at first... then the girl from the hop teachings... we will immitate then learn our own style...

Push me, and then just hurt me, till i can get my satisfaction...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... I'm going to have to agree with Bender. Above all else, what I see here is that Valura cares deeply for Troy.

This is true love, folks. It's a rare and precious thing, so look at it well...and remember. ubblove

As for Troy, maybe Troy should try varying his style. He's an amazing spinner. It would be almost impossible to imitate him if he was just jamming/improvising. You'd sooner be able to imitate Picasso doing a sketch or Bill Cosby doing a stand-up routine.

Anyone can copy a Picasso with enough training. Anyone can deliver a Cosby routine. But only the true artist can improvise like the true artist.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FunkFishWatch out as ultimate Cute and Funkyness arives...
191 posts

Posted:
Written by: L i g h t n i n g

Anyone can copy a Picasso with enough training. Anyone can deliver a Cosby routine. But only the true artist can improvise like the true artist.

wow nice statement,... u know at the movies they alway's say support creativity don't steal it

Push me, and then just hurt me, till i can get my satisfaction...

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok, so i haven't read everyone's reply yet, so i apologize if this is a repeat, but here's my thoughts.

you have every right to be upset valura. there's a difference between using a few of the same moves, and using the exact same routine. i think to even be debating this is an insult to art of poi. poi is an artform, it's a dance, just like any other dance. if this were ballet we were discussing, and someone copied the exact ballet routine of someone, there would be no question that it is wrong. a choreographer owns the rights to his/her dance routine, and to copy it would be wrong and illegal. it's plagarism. poi and staff deserve just as much respect as any other art form, and with that includes respect for someone's routine.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Bam BamYour Average Every Day Sane Psycho
31 posts

Posted:
I gotta say, I think it would probably bug me for a while if I made a routine and someone bit the whole thing down to the tiniest flourish, but as some people have already said, they're just cheating themselves. They're halting they're creativity and leaving it to others to do all the fun expressive stuff. Eventually they'll just realize that its not fun cuz all they know how to do is premade routines thy mean nothing to them and they'll give up and leave...
so just try to enjoy the attention someone paid to your routine, be flattered that they liked it enough to actually learn it, and don't be too mad cuz u will continue and succeed on this path and they wont......

What, me worry?

Page: