Forums > Social Chat > Very new to everything

Login/Join to Participate

Asraimember
2 posts

Posted:
I'm very interested in poi, fire staffs, and fire breathing,b ut i'm so new to all of it that i don't know where to begin! If anyone has any tips or anything for me i'd be more than greatful.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
welcome Asrai smile - you can start by having a good look around this site - the lessons are very helpful (staff and poi) and also there are instructions on how to make your own first set of practise poi and lots of info on the board; use the search function provided to find particular threads which interest you...my main tip for you would be to be patient - everything else comes with practise smilehappy swinging,Simos

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...oh and of course if you are stuck just post a message and we'll come to the rescue grin...happy swinging,Simos

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hi Asrai,Where are you located in Mass.? I am in Boston (I actually live in JP) and would like to get a group together where beginners could learn from more experimented spinners and exchange tricks. With the weather being what it is now, it is tough to do it outside and i'm still looking for an indoors place. I have a couple of leads: a community center in the South End on tuesday nights or theater facilities at Northeastern. Would you be interested in joining? If so, please email me.

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
Asrai, good luck learning. I recommend that you learn one discipline to begin with. When i started going to my local club i was amazed at the variety of different circus skills people were learning. Its easy to learn a trick or two in loads of different skills but try and become really good at one trade before you attempt learning the next. Often certain skills can be passed between disciplines which helps (eg, some poi/ club swinging and even staff moves). Cained-and-Unable