TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
This might sound odd, but has anyone ever lost the ability to do a move they used to be pretty competent at? I only ask cos I think I just have :S

After reading the thread on hyperloops etc I got learning the hyperloop from 3bt weave a while back. I'd gotten fairly competent, like 4 out of 5 would work sweet as a nut. However, since then I've learned the 5bt weave, and I just can't hyperloop anymore. Seriously, I was just outside for about 20minutes, only trying to hyperloop, and I got about 2 of them to work. The rest of the time the chain just spazzed round my hands or tangled or whatever.

Also, when drunk people first play with poi, they manage crazy insane plane changes without hitting themselves, but once you've had a bit of practise this ability is totally lost it seems.

Hiyaa!
Davy

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah smile

It's only really with hyperloops, but some days they just really won't happen - often when someone says "Can you show me a hyperloop?"

I forget a lot of moves too, especially with fire, like tuck turns - until last week I hadn't used them in at all for about 2 years biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I found that I too lost the ability to do a hyperloop(ish) from a 3bt weave after I learned the 5bt! I have only recently started to work on them again and the whole principle of them is very confusing all over again!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i cant do buzzsaws that arnt isolated frown

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I think then me learning the hyperloops after having already learned the 5 bt is a good thing!

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: oli

OMG - Tell me about it! ubblol

It takes real concentration not to go into isolations when doing buzzsaws - heh heh smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I have also found that, since learning 5 beat and reverse 5 beat weaves, doing a 3 beat weave is a lot less comfortable than it used to be!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: oli

Me neither. Well I sort of can, but they take a lot of concentration and don't feel natural. I certainly can't turn with them or anything.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you freaks! wink

i can't ollie to save my life now whereas i could get up pretty high curbs no problem ten years ago.

i literally can feel my snowboarding melting away every day i spend away from mountains.

not practicing martial arts for a while seems one of the inbetween ones - i can still perform and execute the techniques (i do have some long-term muscle memory then!) but it takes a lot more work and form is substantially worse than it used to be (i.e. i don't look nearly as good doing it).

it makes me quite mad to be honest...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

I was really interested of some tricks I do before. One reason
why I've been starting with Poi documentation project.
Now I can still know how to get all of them , but I use maybe just
a half. I never thinkg about tricks with fire only when Im
practising or teaching em.

Make the moves confortable meens to me that I can continue
some other way. Something ending something going on :]

POI THEO(R)IST

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
you knowI've come to realize that some thigns are just counter intuitive... for instance your hyperloops and your airwraps... something about static vs dynamic just miffs the whole bit.. or even better... those blasted orbitals teaching your to tangle near the head throwing the rythmn off on the tangles that occur mid chain..

ultimately I think two things happen.. some moves overwrite patterns... I've seen it happen with 3beat over two bt.. ttn'
s over butterflies.. and some type of tangles over others.. (primarily the inside tangles vs outside tangles) isoalting vs nonisolating of things (buzzsaws and inverted weaves come to mind here)

the other thing is simply non practice.. some thigns aren't merely boxed out by new practice but rather jsut diappear without practice.. like bth tangles.. and ESPECIALLY wrap patterns..

now the question seems simple.. practice more right? but I mean honestly.. maybe i jsut suck that bad.. but I barely have time to put in the new practice I do.. much less compile the whole of other patterns.. so what then can help with this you think? I'd think I'd shoot myself if I got into a routine of doing certain families or patterns on certain days, like some strange workout.. but honestly.. what other options do you have?

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I never do butterflies any more, it's always TTN... find them easier and more versatile.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i too have lost the will to buzzsaw without isolating and butterfly without threading! redface
it's good to go back to basics once in a while though especially when considering the viual effect of different versions of moves. a non isolated buzzsaw ith fire is often more impressive to the untrained eye...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Whoa I'm very glad its not just me then! I went back outside and sorted myself out so it's ok now. Still havent a clue how to ttn so I'm ok on that front. smile

Davy

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
hi i also have to concetrate much when i do a buzzsaw not isolated
and the isolated ones are my standard now

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Yeah i get most of the above stuff .. i agree with Rev, some tricks just get superseeded by more versatile ones.

Also i think what i used to consider 'tricks' are now merely part of more complicated 'tricks' so i never get the impression that i ever increase my 'trick repertoire' even tho i keep learning new stuff - but then there is no such things once you get past a certain stage and things just flow..

But has anyone ever stood on stage and suddenly forgotten all the tricks you can do apart from really simple stuff ??. confused ... and as soon as you step off stage they all come back to you ubbidea wink ?

Mike smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
hell yeah - you want to run back on stage and go "Wait, wait - I've just remembered these" ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
When it comes to spinning sock poi in the mirror, Im the man... Soon as I light something up though its like "yay I can do the weave"

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Haha I can count the stuff I can do with the fingers on my left foot, so no chance of me forgetting anything cool quite yet.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I see it like this.. during practice I know all the moves I can do and don't mind doing them because.. well it s practice... but in front of others, I only tend to rememebr the thigns I think are really cool or the things that are jsut absolutely drilled.. and lose everything in between.. I either remember what I want to show.. or what i don't think is show.. and notta on the filler that counts..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yes, this happens even to the old school. but, the longer you've been spinning, the less time it takes to get back stuff you haven't practiced in a while. i can pick up hard basics instantly, after one or two tries, it takes a bit longer(maybe couple minutes) to pick up hard intermediate moves, and hard advanced moves i usually have to practice a day or two to get them back (to the point that you can do them anywhere, while dancing). the practice never ends, in fact the further you get the more you have to practice cause there's more advanced stuff in your repertoire to keep up with. if i don't practice every day i lose my sharp edges. hope you like practicing. and then add to that, keeping up with your choreography, managing the technical details of shows, and attending to all the details of performance, and this is one seriously full time job!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
my whole show is just one big move... I don't know the names of hardly anything I do.... but I say... "whatever feels good". and people think it looks good too.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.