Forums > Technical Discussion > Buying Fire Poi- My arm length is 21 1/2 inches..should I get the 22"?

Login/Join to Participate

misshappypantsBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
or the 24"??

Do you recommend me getting the yellow practice poi? that you can add the fire wick? or should I just go with the Beginner, BallChain, Double Loop handle Poi?????

Be as happy as me....

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I suggest making your own pair of poi and testing different lengths. Instead of doing the arm length thing, I usually go by holding my arm straight down at my side and measuring from my fingers to about 3 inches from the ground. This is usually ideal length because it gives you the full range of motion from full extensions to buzzsaws. Also, when in doubt its always good to go longer instead of shorter because you can always shorten your chains but ya cant make em longer.

As for what set you should get, it depends on weather you have money to blow or not. Im cheap personally so would just buy a set of fire wicks/chains and make my own sets of practice stuff but its up to you. If you have a decent chunk of spare change, Id say go for a set of beamers with chains and a pair of wicks. This way you have something pretty to spin indoors and out.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Beamers are dangerous, and I would not use them as anything but an expert. As far as chain length goes, like Icon said, all a matter of personal preference. Get some glowsticks and shoestring, get them to a length that you find comfortable, and measure.

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
actually I bought the shorter measurements than My arm length for My poi and the practice poi I bought happened to be longer.. both of them work great however for close body tricks... shorter works better...

Real happiness is when you marry a guy for love and find out later he has money.
-- Bob Monkhouse

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Beamers ARE dangerous but alas, they were the very first set of poi that I purchased. I feel that they made me all the better because I learnt right quick not to hit myself with them. Sure, there was the occasional accidental knecapping or butterfly collision that sent them flying into my skull but its all in the name of art so its all good.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

misshappypantsBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
Fire is dangerous...but what do you recommend for safety... from your personal experience???

Be as happy as me....

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Hrm, lets put it this way then...

Fire = Dangerous < Beamers smile

Anyway, for safety? You mean what is good to have around when spinning fire? First off a good safety with a fire blanket and/or large wet towel. A bucket of water or two is always good. A fire extinquisher for emergencies and a tube of your favorite burn creame and gauze just in case.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
A bucket of water is a good idea, but *NOT* for putting out a performer. Never throw water on a burning performer, I'd rather let the flames burn my skin that suffer from full body steam burns. It is, however, a good idea if you're spinning around flammable objects that don't mind getting a bit damp.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I like short ones. Shorted than my arms anywhoo. Then like goddessa said you can do good clost body stuff and under arm without worrying about hitting yourself. But if the shortest is still longer then maybe 24 cuz Icon has a real good point about shortening long ones!

So you got the fever now you've burned eh! wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Don't worry about it too much.

If you are serious about learning fire poi, I would say go ahead and buy a fire rig. I used lots of "practice poi" and never really got anywhere. And what little I did learn didn't really translate when I finally got my first fire rig. I didn't even learn the most basic of moves until I got my chains, and I haven't turned back since.

Some people like shorter poi, some like longer poi. And everyone holds their poi differently. Some wrap the chain around their hand and hold the chain betweeen their thumb and forefinger, so even though they bought the 26" long poi, it looks like 21 to 23 inch long poi when they are spinning. I don't do that, so 26" poi would be way too long for me and my style.

I'm not trying to confuse you, or make you think there's no way to make a decision. I'm just saying that at some point, you will have to just break down and make a decision on length, and if that decision is wrong, you will figure it out over time as you progress and develop your style. You may decide you like the option of having the chain relatively long for big graceful maneuvers, or you may decide you like the poi short enough to do inside maneuvers (possibly a crisper, quicker style with more wraps).

I would personally not buy poi significantly longer than my arms. So if your arms are less than 22", I would discourage you from anything longer than 22" or 23" to get started with **unless** you are pretty sure you may want to wrap the chain around your hand to hold it, instead of simply holding the finger loops.

It's really too bad there are no definate answers to give newcomers, but it's that same frustration that fuels the art and development of individual styles.

In the words of my mother...

"Do something, even if it's wrong!" ubblol

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)