Page: ...
mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hey guys, as some of you know, im going to oz in a couple of months.....

what i would like from you guys, esp those eithe living or visting oz, to let me knwo good places to see, good places to stay, and so on, and who i can meet

the details :

i fly from london on eth 1st and get in on teh 2nd (via a stop in bancock (BRING ON TEH LADYBOYS!)) and fly back on eth 1st of sept and am back in uk for 2nd!

i would love to see lots of spinner play lots and chill!

biggrin

so over to you guys, can you pls help me?

thankyou

hug

Step (el-nombrie)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Dude, see the John Butler trio ubblove

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
heehee, i like arsn's new avatar. even if i don't know how he smells.

ok back on subject

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yup, have dads garage downstairs which will have everything you need to make stuff.
although most local arilines wont allow firestaffs on their planes - although you can hide poi in your luggage wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
Diving dreams is pretty good https://www.divingdreams.com.au/scuba.gen/livetrip/64.
You can get your open water course for under $250, and trips out to the reef start at bout $100.
I also have a pretty mean tool box... althoughi sorta inherited it so i have no idea what a ratchet set is confused. It more then suits my needs when i need to make anything new ($300 worth of kevlar arriving in the next few days biggrin weavesmiley!)
JBT is less then a month away! bounce sunny heart bounce2 Quick stop in a magical cow paddock for supplies and then into the rainforest for the weekend wink ubbrollsmile

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Originally posted by Looper
Quick stop in a magical cow paddock for supplies

wink *wink wink* wink

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Hey!*:. you gotta come to moonfest!*:. there's loads of lovely friendly firey people to meet and have a play weavesmiley

Dates are here.:*> https://groups.msn.com/moonfest

I can't really change the full moon for ya wink.... so if you're flying out again before the 30th August... well we'll just have to make some other play day arangements biggrin

grouphug

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: DeepSoulSheep

Dude, see the John Butler trio ubblove

yip. totally. what sheepy said. UNHUH. see the trio. you have to. they rock. so great. yip do it.

**walks off in a total John Butler Trio haze**

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok so i talked to flynt this morning, and she has told me were you all are, so its only a lil over a month to go and im now worried that i havent got anything done, and i have loads of stuff to do before i get out there and loads of new toys to make :S
so down to teh real cheeky bit now,

would i be possbile to stay with any of you guys, i have already had a couple of offers of places to throw my bag and sling my head, and i am so in you debt for that, thankyou.....

could anyone willing pm me, or if you knwo a good hostel in your area, pass on teh deatils pls?

thankyou!

hug

Step (el-nombrie)

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
so have u got an offical list of were u have decided to go? cos i think it would be cool if you posted it in here so we (the people you are going to see, who ever they are) could get their act together.... ubbtickled

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok hey guys sorry for teh long lapse in postage, but been down in cornwall, on another hol, were will it all end? :S

ok,

last week i talked to miss flyntie lady, and she set me straight on were ppl live, and i will be posting a map tonight, however..i thought i would post a list of ppl and places i am hoping to hit, and try to sort out accom in diff areas..

ok here goes

- flying into brisbane air port on the 2nd of july, (time tbc)

- being picked upi by valura and arsn, in the hope kombi (hopefully biggrin:D:D:D:D ) and staying with them for around a week, (still working on that with them)

- would like to meet moon pixie, and bec, but would also like to meet as many spinners at meets, and lil events as possible, and go swimming at the water park (you say its winter at 18C thats like a nice UK summer day!!!)

- then moving down to newcastle area/sydney to see Rozi, Dentrassi, and hopefull if i can meet Puk, Fireflash (who i still get confused about being a lady, and i dont know why, im really sorry hug ), Ade, and anyone else who would like to meet a scary pome!

- then to nz maybe for a couple of days, to see charles, and mal, but still wiating on confermation....

- then to miss flyntie lady, and then

- home frown flying from sydney on the 1st of august (times TBC), arriving back in eth uk on teh 2nd of august!

ok so what i would like is lots of meets, lots of spinners, lots of learning and teaching (if that s ok) can i have some barbie-q's on teh beach, and can every one pls say "fair dinkum"

and all live in streets were you play kricket with yoru neigbours, and you are all involved in lil love triangles, and then somthing stange happens, like a fair comes to town and collapses, and you see everyone muck in to help ppl out..."neighbours every body needs good neighbours, with a lil understanding, you can find...." *ahme* sorry...

ok...

all i need t o do now is sort out dates, im looking to spend a week(ish) in each place, so hopeflly ill be with valura and arsn for a week, then traveling to rozi and dentrassi, then afetr a week there im going to jump to melburp or nz im not sure yet :S

im now waiting on a few ppl to get back to me on pms to see if i can arrange stuff with them...

thankyou all

more will follow later today biggrin

hug

laterdays

ps im sure non of this made ANYSENCE

Step (el-nombrie)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by:

and you are all involved in lil love triangles, and then somthing stange happens, like a fair comes to town and collapses, and you see everyone muck in to help ppl out..."neighbours every body needs good neighbours, with a lil understanding, you can find...." *ahme* sorry...

ill do you a deal - you can believe australia is like what you see on Neighbours... as long as we can base the entire UK on The Bill. wink ubblol

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
actually thats not to far off the truth mate!

the bill and easteneders, except with not so much good and bad stuff happening, more of a dialy 9-5 grind, and the occasional miss hap!:D

COOL so oz is totaly like neigbours then! excelent, does this mean i will be the hunk brit, who comes in and steals the studs g/f causing major repocussions when heleaves, and everyone finds out?

biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
...and east Enders..

and the Goodies

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
absolutely fabulous?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
on a true topic note

here is lil list of some of the toys i will be bringing out with me!

as ill be using these only as oz toys, if anyone would like to bid on the sale of these when i leave them in oz, you are more than welcome to make me an offer if you wnat anything from teh list?

2 5ft staffs (fire)
2 5ft staffs (flag)

15ft (head @ 4inch x 1meter) fire rope

Mechs special fire ropes (very shway!)
assoted fire poi, mainly tube wick (as i cant tie monkey fist knots!)
hammer head poi (Onewheeldave design)

and maybe a couple of other toys i will have to make fresh

ill aslo be taking out
4x 75mil contact acrillics
cone poi ( [nx] design biggrin )

i would like to play wth wile i out there diabolo and devil sticks, but as i dont think i will be packing my own, illbe at all ya'll's mercies if i can borrow one? i may pack my diabolo i dont knwo yet :S

ok i think thats about it....oh and my ballon stuff! pump and ballons really! biggrin

cheers guys
laterdays
hug

Step (el-nombrie)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Do airplane ppl get all thingy about firestaffs?? Some tickets specifiacally ban them. Poi so far I think get through OK. As long as they dont look too close anyways.

cant think of any other Pommy shows biggrin

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
i think it depends on your airline. i took mine on 6 flights using 2 different airlines (air canada and malaysian airlines) and i had my short staff bagged, and each end wrapped securely with packing tape, then wrapped in bubble wrap and my long (unburnt) staff wrapped in bubble wrap, then wrapped in a black garbage bag, then wrapped packing tape all up and down to make it tough to undo, then put a big FRAGILE note on it, and mine made it through the LA airport, which was the toughest. btw, when coming into new zealand, they are really sticky on what comes in, and they will have you fill out a card before they let you off the plane. they will ask you all sorts of questions about what you've been in contact with in the past month including if you've been in any rural areas, that sort of thing. just so you're not surprised. and pm me if you plan on coming into nz.

have fun!! sounds like a fun trip! hug

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i just talked to Heathrow Singapor airlines, and they say there is no prob with me taking mystaff on eth plane as long as i dont overexceed my weight limit for the flight! so i should have a prob, now all i have to do is figue out what the bloody hell 20kilos is approx to!

Step (el-nombrie)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ok mech... i think we might have to be a bit more selective here....

being blunt, ive seen a few travellers pass through oz, and heres some tips....

1. domestic airlines wont permit fire staffs on the planes. they even get touchy with virgin wick.

2. think about what you REALLY need...do you really need more than one set of poi in any case? this leads on to

3. at most spinning juggling gatherings, most guys are pretty relaxed with sharing equipment. while youre in sydney, my assorted collection of poi, staffs, and assorted juggling equipment is your disposal. likewise most spinners youll be staying with are similarly generous.

my advice is, pack the bare minimum, and dont bother with the fire stuff. borrow it from the various nice people over here, because it will make packing and getting on plane easier, and you wont have the pressure of having to sell stuff before you leave.

all you really need it a couple of practise staffs, a couple of sets of poi, maybe your contact ball, and diabolo.

that will take up enough weight...maybe even too much. 20kg doesnt get you far.

if you do need to make stuff, i have a well equipped garage at home.

hope that helps. hug
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1088507809)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thanks ed, ill work on what i need, i hopeing taht all i have have to take around 7-10 pairs on pants and sock, and 7-0 tees and ppl will let me steal some time with their washing machines?

Step (el-nombrie)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd definately sit down and have a long, hard think about what stuff you really need.

I brought lots of toys out with me, and I've had to do washing more often because to make space for them all I had to lose some clothes.
In fact, I think I brought the same volume of toys as I did shirts. Probably not too wise in retrospect.

The 20kg luggage limit is really pretty easy to keep to, I never bothered weighing my stuff before I left england, I just stuffed everything into my rucksack (it works out at about 65 litres). The last time I flew, I looked at the scales when I was checking in and my stuff comes to about 15kgs.
If you're worried, pack stuff that's relatively small and heavy into your hand luggage, although there's technically a limit to how much that can weigh, I've never had mine checked.
Also, the airline staff seem to be much more lenient if you check in much earlier than is suggested on your tickets, plus that also has the added bonus of being able to ask for the emergency exit seats, which gives you the luxury of being able to stretch out your legs smile

Another word of advice - don't pack your bags completely full. You'll undoubtedly be buying stuff while you're here and you're going to need somewhere to put it.

For a while, I carried around a pair of virgin fire poi, not wanting to burn them until I got to Melbourne (because I knew I'd be there for a fair while), and because I didn't want the hassle of trying to get them onto a plane with me after they'd been burnt.
I lit them in Melbourne and I've since flown twice with no problems at all. I just stuck them into a tupperware style container and stuffed that into my hold luggage.
I wouldn't want to try it with a staff though, you're probably more likely to have problems with something that obvious. Unless you really need your own kit, I'd just stick with Dentrassi's suggestion and borrow stuff instead.

How's the balloon apron/bag coming along by the way? I enlisted the help of a certain Flynt-like person for mine and it's turned out great biggrin.
I've got some pictures that I'll email you when I next get to a computer that I can plug my camera into.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
BOVRIL I HATE YOU!

mine turned out to be a lil poo, cos i was trying to make it in demin and it isnt working, pls can you send me pics ASAP so i can try to makemine?

or maybe i could ask flynt to help me with mine? :S

anyways, thank you so much for the info bovril, like i said im prob only going to take my flag staff now, cos ill be buying two staff from hop while im out there and leaving them unlit till i get back, so its not a prob forme!

ill drop some gear as well, ill sort out all my stuffand weigh it somewere as well! :S

laterdays guys

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok as promised y-day

here is miss flynts map she helped me draw and mark out....
Non-Https Image Link

ok so i will hot brisbane, and see troy and valura for about a week....

2nd - 8th

then some how (prob fly or bus TBC) to newcastle/sydney for dentrassi and rozi, for around another week...

9th - 15th

then a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG jump over to melburp

16th - 22nd

and tehn a jump to nz hopefully, then back to syndney a couple fo dyas before my flight to get all nervous, drunk, miss my flight and stay in oz FOREVER! biggrin

so what do you reckon

any good?

laterdays hug

ps is it true that oz dollors smaell funny, the women in the beuro do change, say its smells weird! eek

Step (el-nombrie)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
That is one fine map Dread Pirate Flynt.

Is it the Truth?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
sounds good....

although i would have to recommend bussing it down to sydney.. and stop by byron bay for 2 days. you'll love it!.

byron is between sydney and brisbane, though closer to brisbane.

look forwards to it mate!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
den, i have so little time, im tryingto hit places i wanna go, over plces i would like to go, somewere im stll trying to fit in a flight to perth for a trip to see gnor and bill!

:S

so ill prob bus straight into sydney, if i can, or maybe valura and troy will eb able to help me out i odnt knwo yet! @S

Step (el-nombrie)

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Gnor dear, thankyou, I drewed it myself!

(Mech, you should probably take peoples real names off that map, they might not appreciate it.)

Bov, I dont have the measurements for your balloon bag, can you remember them? Are they on one of the random bits of paper you left in the lounge room?? xoxoxo ta dear, glad the bag is working well.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Mech nice map i might be up in brisbane if im lucky i'll pm you down the track to let you know .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Flynt is damn fine seamstress. Did luberly fluffy blue poi bags too..very VERY stylish!!

hug hug

Is it the Truth?

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
oh shush.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Page: ...