MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Phone: "Good afternoon, S***** Health Care."
Me: Good afternoon, may I please have medical records?
P: Please hold
*wait 10 seconds*
P: (leads me through a pointless numeric menu that probably all leads to the same clerk, anyways) "Medical records. This is Mary, how may I help you?"
M: "Good afternoon, Mary, my name is Mike G****** and I'm a medical student at the University of Michigan Hospitals. I'm taking care of a patient that was cared for at your center and we requested some lab information yesterday. We haven't received it yet and this gentleman is pretty sick and I'm wondering if there's any way I could get it."
P: "I need to send you to Release of Information"
M: "We already faxed you a Release of Information form yesterday."
P: "Oh, may I have the patient's name?"
M: "Yes, his name is Mr. John Doe and his medical record number for your system is XXXXXX."
P: "One moment." (five moments) "Yes, we show that we mailed that information this morning."
M: "MAILED? We requested a fax."
P: "We don't do faxes, sir."
M: "Ma'am, you must do faxes, what do you do in emergencies?"
P: "The form wasn't from an emergency department, sir, so we don't do faxes."
M: "Ok, well this gentleman has been spiking fevers in spite of antibiotics, I need to know if any blood cultures drawn on him at your center have come back positive."
P: "I'm not qualified to give that information sir, let me see if anyone here is."
M: "Ok."
P: "One moment"
(TEN MINUTES LATER)
P: "Hello, my name is Janet, you are calling about Mr. Doe?"
M: "Yes, ma'am."
P: "We have a discharge summary, but no microbiology lab values here."
M: "Is there any mention of an infection on the discharge summary?"
P: "Let me see." (5 minute wait) "Sir? Yes, there is a mention that he was treated for a urinary tract infection, blood sepsis, and pneumonia." eek confused eek
M: "Did they draw any cultures?"
P: "What sort of cultures?"
M: "Anything. Blood, urine, ascites fluid, anything."
P: "Oh, we don't do cultures here."
M: "I'm sorry? I can't believe that an accreditated hospital doesn't do cultures."
P: "Oh! This is a rehab center! You want the B******** campus! He was treated there before being discharged to us."
M: "Oh. Can you connect me there?"
P: "I'm sorry I can't. But you can call them at XXXXXXXX."
M: "Ok, thank you very much for your help. Good afternoon."

Now I dial the new number

P: "Good afternoon, S****** Healthcare, this is Holly."
M: "Good afternoon, Holly. May I please have medical records?"
P: "One moment, please."
(click, ring)
P:"You have reached the medical records department. If you are a physician requesting medical records for patient review, press 1. If you are a patient requesting records, press 2. If you are a physician calling from an outside facility, please press 3..."
M: (pressing 3)
P: "Medical records, this is Rachel."
M: "Hi, Rachel. My name is Mike G. and I'm a medical student at the University of Michigan Hospitals working on the gastroenterology inpatient medicine service. We have a patient of yours who is quite sick and I need some information on him."
P: "Yes, let me transfer you to our Release of Information Offices."
M: "Ma'am, we do have some records from your center, so you should already have the ROI form for this patient."
P: "I'm sorry, but we need a new ROI form for each request. I need to transfer you."
M: "Ok, thank you."
P: (click, ring) "You have reached the desk of Sharon Smith. I am sorry I am not available. Please leave a message and I will call you back. If this is an emergency, please call the secretary at XXXXXXXXX."
M: (hanging up and calling that number)
P: "You have reached the medical records department. If you are a physician requesting medical records for patient review, press 1. If you are a patient requesting records, press 2. If you are a physician calling from an outside facility, please press 3..."
M: (3)
P: "Medical records, this is Rachel."
M: "Hi, Rachel, this is Mike G. from the University of Michigan. We just spoke. Release of Information isn't answering and the gentleman I called about is quite ill. We've drawn our own blood cultures, but yours would have to have matured by now. We need to know the results so that we can treat him."
P: "I'm sorry, I'm not authorized to release that information without a ROI form, sir."
M: "Ma'am, the patient is very sick, he can't sign a form, and his wife is not at the bedside."
P: "I'm sorry, sir. I can't release that information without an ROI form."
M: "Ma'am, this is sort of an emergency. Is there anyone who can?"
P: "No, sir. You'll have to fax us an ROI form."
M: (getting irritated) "Ok, fine. Give me the fax number."
P: "It's XXXXXXXXX."
M: "How soon can I expect these records? This is an urgent situation."
P: "It should be sent tomorrow."
M: (firmly)"It must be faxed, not mailed."
P: "I'm sorry, sir. We only fax to emergency rooms."
M: (incredulously) "You make no exceptions?"
P: "No, sir."
M: (holding back rage) "Ok, I will somehow get the ROI form signed. Thanks for your help."
(click)

So off I go to find the patient, whose wife has mercifully appeared at the bedside. She signs the form and I fax it over to the other hospital, with specific instructions written on the form that the information must be FAXED to us.

If it's not in the fax tray tomorrow, I'm telling my attending. This is obstruction of care.

Meanwhile, the poor patient is on about six different "Big Gun" antibiotics. We have no idea where his fevers are coming from. It's unlikely that with all these antibiotics, he still has any bugs living in him, but we can't be sure without negative blood cultures. I sure hope those cultures show bugs that are sensitive to the antibiotics we have him on, because if they're positive and they pulled this stunt, we'll share this experience with the family and discuss the situation with our hospital's attorney.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Poor Lightning, sounds like you're having quite a shite time of it. That sort of thing sucks. Here's a few hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug I hope things get better.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sucks for me, yeah. Sucks for the patient much worse. frown

-Mike

TrillianBRONZE Member
319 posts

Posted:
Definately.

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Wow... You never cease to amaze me... I would've started yelling at them after a few sentences... ^^;

Much huggles for you and the patient! hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I learned (long ago) that yelling at people never accomplishes anything. However, I accidentally growled in a nurse's general direction after this exchange. I apologized to her. She thought it was hilarious.
EDITED_BY: L i g h t n i n g (1086730988)

-Mike

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
At least someone is keeping their sense of humor during all of this. Kudo's in keeping your cool over the phone Mike.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

TrillianBRONZE Member
319 posts

Posted:
yeah, that is always a really hard thing to do...I'm always amazed by people who can stay calm at times when I'd be screaming and yelling.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
damn, beurocracy eh!!

at least you're a good guy hug2

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I am well impressed by your recall Lightning.

The number of times we have had problems giving results to receptionists is amazing. I used to be constantly amazed at how wrong the result could be gotten.

Well done for being so patient. hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Working for the government myself I know all to well how infuriating it is to get the run around.

Good on you for keeping your cool...Don't know if I could have lasted that long without starting to get a bit narky.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
and you managed to not swear! me very impressed!
hug:huh::huh:
i have just lost faith in the medical system!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Medusa, give me the run around. That's fine. Waste my time. Yell at me. Be mean to me. But do it to me. I can take it.

Do it to one of my patients and you'll think Hell itself opened up and a demon stepped out. I wrote down names that I can hand over just in case there's a suit over this. And I did not use those names on this site. cool

-Mike

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
so hows your patient now? Hav you managed to get the info you need and give him the right treatment?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
yeah! Mary's not an all evil name!
Annoying yes but not all evil... just a lil bit

I've heard of the chase you have to go on to get results in hospitals before
Congrats for keeping your cool and recording :takeshatoff:

I hope your patient pulls through safely and that the situation gets followed up

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

- cat -member
48 posts

Posted:
aahhhhh!! I wanna know what happens now..

that's incredible.. you know it happens all across the world in all different departments but you'd think that a matter of emergency like this would be treated differently.. unbelievable.

and I do think you are an amazing man for having so much patience..

I too would have gone nuts ubbloco

well done beautiful spirit... hug

anxious to find out what happens... frown

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Mike, somehow this doesn't inspire confidence in me for my operation in September! eek wink

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Here's what you do:

You get the fax number for this sanctimonious red-tape-worm, and you write on the paper: "I'm sorry, ma'am, I can't do that...".

Put in your fax machine and as it's halfway through, tape one end to the other so it forms a continuous loop. Your machine will just keep transmitting the page over & over. And she'll get an endless fax of her own stoopid, bureaucratic policy. ubbrollsmile

Unless of course you think that tying up her fax will actually impede her from HELPING anyone...

umm

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I can't believe how stupid the whole thing is!
Why does it seem that paperwork is valued more important than a patients health?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
lightning, i think the only reason you ca hold back your rage when your talking to theses people is that you come to hop afterwards and get it all out, this is your what, 3rd rant thread this week, maybe we should start a Lightning's Rants forum, hope your patient gets better>>>>>much luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes