Page:
oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
been thinking about this for a while. and ive not heard talk of it. ill try and explain this with a few badly drawn pictures.

all the pictures are with one poi and one hand only.

ok the basic plan is to generate a figure of 8 pattern, so the poi spins a circle one way and a circle the other way touching it...

Non-Https Image Link

like in this picture.^^

notice the center of the circles which is your hand has to move.

i think it would be possible to create this pattern in the following way:

start by spinning the poi like this.

Non-Https Image Link

so you just spin half a circle perfectly normally.

when the poi reaches the top of the circle you have to start thinking about moving your hand.

Non-Https Image Link

you have to go from the position on the left (in the above picture) to the position on the right, this is the tricky bit. the arrows indicate the direction the poi is moving.

i think there are possibly two ways of changing between these to positions.

1. by moving your hand over the top of the poi:

Non-Https Image Link

2. by moving your hand underneath the poi:

Non-Https Image Link

i think it would be easier to do the underneath one as youre kinda moving with the poi then, but im not sure. both movements would be weird isolationy type movements me thinks..

once youve done the tricky bit, youll notice youve gone from poi spinning clockwise to poi spinning anticlockwise, (no stalls !!)

then you have an easy bit.

Non-Https Image Link

when the poi reaches the top of the circle, you have to do the tricky bit again, and youll end up back where you started.

obviously you can do this the other way around. but then the tricky bits would need to happen with the poi travelling 'uphill' which i think wuld be harder, as i think the poi would tend to loose momentum.

you could do it so the circles are on top of one another too

you could do it with two poi in split time.

hope thats all made sense.

needless to say, i cant do any of this. i was wondering if anyone else could, or if people had thought about this before.. so what do you all think? is it possible?

o yea. its quite easy horizontally with one poi, and weird with two horizontally.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hey.

i didn't say i was going to practise tho did i?

i've got far to many other toys to reaquaint myself with before pilton, espescially as poi is only being used for 1 minute on two nights out of our three 35minute shows......

and HEY: NO DISCUSSION ALLOWED! this forum is for shouty arguements and egos only wink

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol blew and drew - seems you're as bad as each other nowdays: all talk and no poi wink

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just you wait blondie.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

but you do realise its exactly 'not very long' until galstonbury so i'll expect to see it in pilton smile

mee too tongue

mmmmmm, a moving double infinity sign with fire might just look alright you know...

*closes eyes and fires up imagination*

i can see it now. and its beautiful, they are going different ways tooo ubblove ....

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
all I have to say is people said there was no way to antispin anything other then flowers because you need two centers of rotation.. I know I was one of them.. and now I antispin my weave...

so I'm not going to go as far as to say the nayno on this.. bc well anything is possible... just friggin hard.. .til someone discivers a secret to it... which I'm still going to place my money on the near full isolation.. which being -near- full and not full.. also gives hope.. I mean.. the poi doesn't have to be perfectly still.. just isolated in free fall.. LMAO..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
freefall ish i reckon rather than actual free fall. but im not totally sure..

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about something similar to this a while ago, after Stone showed me a couple of ways to change the direction of a club while you're swinging it.

I ended up making it into a (still not solid) fairly large movement that I imagine would look like an S over on it's side. I only used it to change the direction of one poi though, instead of using a stall or a wrap, then moving off into something else.
I don't know how on earth I'd do it with both hands at once though, I think that's a bit beyond me at the moment.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

lorryBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
LOVE the drawings! how much time did they take?! probably not as much time as ive spent trying to actually do the move. im one of thoe people who just cant move onto anything else until theyve done it. grr! anyhoo, thanx 4 the ideas bounce bounce2

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm, missed this one. thats what happens when you travel around instead of stayng in on the internet.... wink

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Oli,

I only checked your first post and your excellent drawings but i don't think this is so hard.

Take a regular weave, push the planes out to 90 degrees (box weave) keep pushing them out and you can get to almost 180 degrees (maybe a full 180, never had a big enough protractor wink )

I'm sure me and you were both playing with this last time i saw you, which was aaaages ago ???

Also you're fogetting there's a really really easy way to spin a flat figure eight.....with pendulums smile

But maybe i'm completely missing the point?

ANyhoo,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
yea thats the idea, still i think saying 'its not so hard' is a bit of an understatement especially if you want to make it look clean... (i find the main problem keeping the point where the circles join togethr in the same place)

this also reminds me of something, if you look in the orginal post i say there is two possible ways of moving your hand around to the second position, this is correct in 2d. but since we generally spinning poi in a 3d enviroment, it is also possible to move your hand through a horizontal plane aswell, which is like what you do when you do a box weave....

this reminds me of the atomic stuff where your hand is doing horizonatl circles and your poi is doing vertical ones that rev was talking about a while back, i forget what the name of the post was though.... [Old link] maybe??
weavesmiley

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

> I think the key to it involves doign a near full isolation...

...i agree completely - this is exactly what you have to do.

well not exactly, because if you do that then the poi head would stop when its at the middle of the S. Which is kinda the same as a stall. And the whole point of this pattern is to change direction without stalling.

So you do your full isolation type movement, but keep moving the centre of rotation (the poi head) along the straightish line that marks the transition between directions of spin.

This means you have to move your hand faster than in an ordinary full isolation. But you only have to do a half circle of it, and the straightish line can point directly upwards, which makes it all a lot easier.

ooh, doing that and shifting into horizontal plane for the full isolation (like oli says up there ^^)would look really pretty.

did that make any sense?

[Old link]

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
this, is screwed up.

really, its a lot of waggling around. smile

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
you could say that about anything to do with poi, and it'd still be true smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
After concidering the plane-breaking idea trying to break the weave plane to it's side, i'm sure it's not the same thing. I did try this before and it's not really what we are after.

Well that's from what I gather.

On the other hand changing the direction can be done with a very slight change of plane, so perhaps the proper way to do this is between an isolation and a plane change. Just my 2 cents.

Page: