likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
... a sport? [by definition, i mean]
"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively"
--dictionary.com

"who would think poi is cool? thats a "sport" that needs to be [censored] in the ass." --[some stupid girl on xanga]

feel free to voice your opinion here, on her xanga, whatever...
[im curious as to what you peoples think, as well.. cool ]

ubbrollsmile

::me

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well, some people consider lawn bowls and ball room dancing sports....

id rather define it as an artform rather than sport - for me it focuses on freedom of expression rather than brute muscle, strategy, and competition.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dentrassi

for me it focuses on freedom of expression rather than brute muscle, strategy, and competition.

my point exactly... there is no set rules w/ poi. and thats why its not a sport =]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
and I've never played a competitive game of poi in my life! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
yeah i think it's gotta become competative to be a sport really. but like aerobics it does keep you fit ( [Old link] ) smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
she's 16 and yet has the maturity of an 10/11 year old.
and i thought girls were supposed to mature faster...

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
is she deranged? lolsign and i'm sorry, but i couldn't help myself...

"i couldn't help but notice you have an obsession with

censored ass, i wonder if thats a reflection of your personality...

- poi spinner.

no board war....what board war? where? i want in!!!

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
..is like staff, only it's almost as cool ubbangel

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Lol, I just went to the page you posted.... what's going on there????
What is a censored ass?
I don't get it....

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

lllk
182 posts

Posted:
Dont they have olympic ribbon dancing? If so then this definately counts

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, We had a bit of a competition at a festival I just got back from. It was REALLY fun.

Basically they just matched you up with someone and you spun against them and then the audience decided who won. It sounds competitive and stressful but it was actually really fun and light hearted. It was on the first night and it really brought the spinners together. I got beat by a sexy guy in a G-string trailing on his body... and deservedly so. smile [You don't wanna see me in a G-string... well, maybe you do... but it's an acquired taste.]

But I'd never say it was a sport since it does not have specific rules governing each move. It was a competition. Anything can be a competition. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by:

well, some people consider lawn bowls and ball room dancing sports....

i guess the difference is that anything you can comete in has rules, even more 'free' sports lke skaebaording or something have rules in competition.

never heard any poi rules though, so i would say it's not.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
by that definition, poi is not a sport.

by others it is.

but so are figure skating and skateboarding.

i would consider those and poi to be physical artforms (like dancing) that can have competitve elements overlayed.

the competition elements are pretty much independent of the artform imho.

however, for the record i do not consider ass f*ckin to be a sport either - i don't know if this affects the value of my previous opinions...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Poi is an art form. Just like Ballroom Dancing.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i think poi is an artform, and like other artforms we do have competitions (*ahem* COL)

but i don't particularly see it as a sport

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
poi is great exercise, and I'd consider it "athletic," but I wouldn't consider it a sport.

Like pounce, I consider it an artform that requires grace, and practice.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i'd have to agree with pounce, poi and staff and all the variants are all artforms; through and through...thats why skating is a lifestyle, as is poi and staff, but its also like poi and etc...an artform...hmm... ubbloco rolleyes ubbrollsmile

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
I think coleman's got it!

lorryBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
i dont think i'd call it a sport. i agree with people above, it is more of an art form like dancing, + i wouldnt call dancing a sport, but then again i used to enter dance competitions, so does that make dancing a sport? how confusing. ubbloco

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
The Edinburgh University juggling society is a society and not a club because the sporting union people say that juggling is not a sport

and they must be clever, what with chosing to live in Edinburgh and all
smile

ps. is unicycling a sport? you could have races!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I never saw the Official Poi Rulebook. Given, I've only been doing this 3 years and I still suck at it...

Swimming is a sport. Poi is not.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

lllk
182 posts

Posted:
seeing as This counts and has a good structure for judging and criteria.... why isnt poi a sport? has anyone ever suggested it to an olympic comittee? confused
are there any UK best poi person competitions? if not WHY NOT!!
what do you think? ubbidea

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Its really in the eye of the beholder. As someone has said, anything can be a sport.

Take frisbee for example. Two people can toss a frisbee around and its not a sport. But put two more people in there, throw some rules in and you got a sport called Ultimate Frisbee.

NYC gives a good example of how poi can be a sport. It involved multiple people, doing poi, with set rules to decide who "wins" Even if it was light hearted and just a fun thing to do, it can still technically be defined as a sport.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

SunriseIvetka
211 posts

Posted:
POI is ART form and POI ppl is ARTISTS... weavesmiley

sunny
grouphug

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Poi, can be a sport, or atleast could become a sport. It really isn't one now, but the foundation is there. Rules for a compitition can be made in a style much like olympic figureskating and what not. You can do whatever move/trick you want, but your preformance must contain a specific list of tricks.

As far as the chick, scary... someone said she had the maturity of a 10/11 year old.... yeah, I think you're giving her a bit more credit than she diserves.

Any how, poi is a wonderfully fun thing to do, be it sport or art, does it really matter? As long as you enjoy it.

Ohh and if that poi doesnt require muscles.... come spin my doubles tongue 12 inches total of wicking ing length and then the chain.... yeah you need some muscle to spin those babies smile Sorry that was a shameless plug form my babies hehe tongue

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
sport (spôrt, sport) noun

1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
2. An active pastime; recreation.
3. a. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks. b. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport. c. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.

I like # 3 the best!

take the schneak-tip