Forums > Social Chat > is there a move that joins the weave style to the butifly style

Login/Join to Participate

Danmember

Posted:
iv just been learning off the leassons on this site and have come to a point where i have most of the move down and joined togeather but have no idea how to change betweenthe two different forms(weave and buttifly. I would really apreciate some advice as i am sick of having to stop to change them.cheersDan, Dunedin NZ

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Dan:While I can't describe a way to go directly from butterfly to weave, try going from one gradually to the other. If you've got the butterfly going, move your hands apart until your poi are swinging forwards or backwards at your sides, then start the weave from there.Good luck,-protie

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey.I brought this same topic up not so long ago...Everyone has different ways of doing this, and most are pretty unique (from what I'm seeing)...However the easiest and quickest way has got to be a single leg wrap followed by a 90 degree turn into butterfly. It should be able to be done in 2 turns max.However, dont let that fool you... Become really comfortable with weaving, and moving into and out of butterfly, and you will begin to 'feel' new ways of doing it. Once you get these truly innovative techniques, that you have created yourself, you will get a lot of satisfaction from them smileJosh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I read along this thread further down and didn't post then, so maybe this is the time for me to say/ask...I see everyone doing these nearly elaborate transforming moves...When I am in the butterfly my wrists literally rest one atop the other, as do they in the weave, so I simply slide my top hand (usually my right) a little further to my left and I am in the weave. Am I doing it wrong? It just seems so...well....simple to me now.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Pele!tuttut!"Am I doing it wrong??"what kind of a question is that??!Course you arent! smileYour doing it the way you want to, and it works for you.although, I have to say, I think there must be more to it than just sliding your top hand further to the side...after all, the poi are turning in planes paralell to each other, in opposite directions...somehow you have to change the direction of the poi and / or the plane orientation.can you give us a little more detail as to what your body is doing, how fast you are going and what happens to the poi? can you keep the speed exactly the same through the transition?anyhoo-Moto: If it feels good, and doesnt hurt anyone, Do IT! smileJosh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, so this is funny....you're technically supposed to start the weave with poi going the same direction? Is that what I am understanding? I taught myself to do it from a forward butterfly. My arm actually slides as if to go into a thread the neddle. My body doesn't do anything that effects the poi really...usually doesn't as I tend to dance around a bit. winkAt any rate..since I am learning myself with no real teacher...everything I do tends to be bass-ackwards from what you guys tend to talk about...it's why I try to stay out of the technically based threads...cause I haven't a clue except what I can do and what I will eventually attempt grin!!!Then again, I am bass-ackwards anyway...prolly why the fit hits the shan so much in my life!!!!!!
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
emmmm...to be perfectly honest although i did post b4 a possible alternative (giant butterfly - i don't even know if it works well) as a transition move i must say that i agree with Pele on this one...although i start the weave from swinging at the sides, i can also start it from the forwards butterfly; it only takes a rev...what i do is switch into split time as i basically cross my hands and start the weave (so basically both your hands cross and you are swinging the right poi on the left side and vice versa and then start the weave)... as for going from the weave to the butterfly when i want to keep it simple i just slow the weave slightly and move directly into the butterfly - i think it takes on revolution where your poi are not exactly in the same plane (but you are doing the butterfly motion with your hands) and the next revolution you are into a proper butterfly move...i have tried the leg wrap that Josh suggested and it's a nice alternative (looks cool too) especially if you want to use more than one transition in your routine... oh well i guess there's no right or wrong - whatever works for you and looks good will do grinhappy swinging,Simos

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
I find that going from an alternate butterfly move into the weave is easier. I also make a lot of switches over my head. If thats any help.xxxdiskoxxx------------------*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Pele asked:Am I doing it wrong?I say:Pele, shame on you for asking such a silly question! wink "Doing it wrong" means hurting yourself. Now I'm gonna go try out your cool transition..I never thought of that before! grinCheers,-protie

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
well im not a great twirler, but i hjad a lot of trouble trying this out last nite, jude came up with a good transition move, but i shall leave that for her to tell, if she so desires :PBut i dont think i can make it straight from butterfly to weave just yet

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well I never.I STILL dont know how it works, but I managed to pull off that transition how you described Pele...thanks for that one! I'm still quite wobbly with it, but I reckon I'll get better at it with practice (as per usual).I still think the single leg wrap is neater winkJosh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Pele--Cool. I tried your suggestion, and it wound up feeling quite natural. For me, the action felt more like just dropping my bottom hand (which is also my non-dominant one, fwiw--does that make it my "submissive" hand?) as the wick started its downstroke and following with the upper hand. I can perceive a little jerk when I do this, but I'm not sure if it's visible.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You know, I am glad the move worked out for everyone. I *never* would have thought it was such an unusual transition, but I am still pretty much alone so I guess I assume if I do a move that it's pretty much standard by the time do it...ha! on me smileI guess I just found out that whole thing about assuming making an ass out of me is right! grin *g*I'm toddling off to work on that leg wrap one....------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Pendulums are my favorite way to transition from weave to butterfly, especially since you can play around with them in some weird ways before actually starting the butterfly. You can transition back by using something like the split time butterfly variations in the library, except letting one of them stall into a pendulum.

Of course, this places the butterfly at the side of your weave. For putting it in front of you I don't know any other way besides tilting the planes or using stalls. Though it sounds like another poster has a very unusual trick...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
that's a fair 8.8yr bump! clap

also used stalls, pendulum and kickup or wrap to change opposite into same way so far...

I can imagine that transition, Pele is describing - never tried it myself... butterfly opens wings and becomes a weave...

sweet smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
After 8.8 years a thread is only mostly dead...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Can I have some chocolate too then?

Or do I need to start spinning ROUS's? tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
FireTom... its a plane bend. Spin your poi forwards by your sides, same time, then bend them around to a front wall plane.

They should now be going down in the middle, in butterfly, she's presumably just gone the other way.

If you dont understand the way the poi are moving in this, tuck your elbows in by your sides(without poi)... hands out in front, as though you were going to pretend to be a big steam train. Now put your hands on your belly, push your elbows forward as you do so.

The hands show which way the poi spin, so it will demonstrate how it moves from same direction to butterfly.

Also, if you've just performed the exercise I put forth above, try from the butterfly position to slide your hands up closer to your armpits. Now move your elbows forwards and backwards... Yeah, thats it... now make a "cluck cluck" noise.

Enjoy!! ^_^

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
lol....

I am glad someone understood that move. Was trying to do it in wallplane, which was not working....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
ah the memories smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*sways gently with a sparkler in his hands*

slow bends I've done - don't find them appealing at all... it's that subtle flick performing the transition within a single rotation I'm intrigued of wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pyrolificah the memories smile

Josh

I was thinking that too! wink

Wasn't the answer last time a simple "one poi wrap"?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Tom, the bend can either be done fast or slow, it can indeed be done as a flick, but the really interesting plane changes are done out of stall point isolations of a sort which involve your hands moving into the new plane to match the poi head.

That is to say, to do it in such a way that out of the single stall point, the poi was already in the plane you changed it to, because a stall is technically not in a plane, it is in every plane. meditate

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
that's been deep....... I must have read this post 10 times before getting it.

*bow*